Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:26:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Joker (2019 Joker film)

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, December 16, 2018, 08:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I have zero interest in all of the superhero/villain films they have now, but I do quite like the sound of an early '80s-set Joker origin pic influenced by Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy. It's directed by the bloke behind the Hangover films, which doesn't bode well at all, but it's a nice idea in theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJlxI9xXLXk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joker_(2019_film)

Phoenix looks creepier without his makeup in that teaser, he's nailed the unctuous De Niro/Pupkin smile. De Niro is actually in this film, presumably for added meta-textual yuks.

bgmnts

I like Wakeem but fuck me  arent there multiple Joker films coming out?

Why aren't people bored of superheros and star wars yet?

Timothy

Idea sounds great, Phoenix is gonna be great and the Hangover was great so high hopes for this.

Replies From View

It's become like when Disney started spunking out endless direct-to-VHS sequels of all their classics.

The Hangover wasn't great at all, it was just another one of those dreary, forgettable American comedies starring a load of unfunny blokes called Seth.

I don't think this will be a particularly good film, I just like the idea - in theory - of an early Scorsese-influenced Joker drama.

Small Man Big Horse

I think this is going to be pretty bad unfortunately. I like Phoenix at times but Todd Phillips has been responsible for some really awful films, Road Trip is especially bad and though I didn't mind The Hangover, The Hangover 2 was bloody awful. Everything I've read about it suggests it'll be a misfire, I'll watch it when it comes out online but at best it'll probably be something of an oddity.

Kelvin

A few years ago I'd have been itching to see this, but after 4 or 5 deeply frustrating DC films, I just cannot get excited about it. Phoenix is the only thing making me take any notice at all.

kalowski

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Isn't one of the Joker's defining traits that he doesn't have an origin?

Kelvin

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 16, 2018, 11:57:21 AM
Isn't one of the Joker's defining traits that he doesn't have an origin?

Sort of. But he actually has had loads over the years. It just tends to be left ambiguous over how true they are, or whether it was really him.

He had an origin in the Burton Batman film.

Anyway, I just hope this film features hilariously contrived cameos from actors who look nothing like Blondie, Run D.M.C. or Afrika Bambaataa.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 16, 2018, 10:34:09 AM
at best it'll probably be something of an oddity.

Which everyone will forget about within a few weeks of its release.

Also, Phoenix's Joker replicating this pose is a cast-iron guarantee.

If only Jerry Lewis had hung around for another couple of years, he could've made a knowing cameo as the Joker's granddad or something.

EDIT: That photograph conjures the tantalising thought of an abandoned early version of Apocalypse Now directed by Jerry Lewis in full clown makeup.

Shaky

Counterpoint: This will be good or possibly OK.

Quote from: Shaky on December 16, 2018, 12:21:38 PM
Counterpoint: This will be good or possibly OK.

Well it might be. I'm all for good films.

wooders1978

I like the idea of this but I am simply baffled by the choice of director - I'll never fully understand Hollywood to be honest

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Apparently, before he started making forgettable comedies, Todd Philips made a documentary about GG Allin. Presumably he has some affinity for grotty maniacs.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 16, 2018, 12:40:53 PM
Apparently, before he started making forgettable comedies, Todd Philips made a documentary about GG Allin. Presumably he has some affinity for grotty maniacs.

Ah, well that's more like it. A truly grim and grotty Taxi Driver-style film with the Joker at its centre sounds ace. Warner Brothers presumably wouldn't take a punt on such a film, though, not these days. It's not 1976.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 16, 2018, 12:40:53 PM

That was his NYU thesis project, if I recall correctly, and is very good - though perhaps more for the subject matter than the execution.  Ever since then it's all been a bit crap, though.

Kelvin

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 16, 2018, 12:49:56 PM
Ah, well that's more like it. A truly grim and grotty Taxi Driver-style film with the Joker at its centre sounds ace. Warner Brothers presumably wouldn't take a punt on such a film, though, not these days. It's not 1976.

They have made very good superhero films prior to Man of Steel, though. Including "gritty" ones. I suppose the one chance this film has is that it doesn't have to fit into a wider continuity, and so might not be tampered with endlessly by people who aren't the director. BvS, Suicide Squad and Justice League are all victims of constant studio interference. A standalone "integrity" film might stand a better chance of following through on a vision, by comparison.

Custard

Looks like it's trying to be a film version of Alan Moore's The Killing Joke. So might as well read Alan Moore's The Killing Joke instead

I do like Phoenix though, and he tends to choose his projects well, so who knows. Least it's not fucking Jared Lego. And also it's not connected to the (mostly) hilariously shit DCU films, so might actually do something fresh or interesting. Yeah, I laughed as I read that back too

This'll be bum eggs

Kelvin

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 16, 2018, 01:03:57 PM
Looks like it's trying to be a film version of Alan Moore's The Killing Joke. So might as well read Alan Moore's The Killing Joke instead

You could say that about loads of great comic book films, though. Infinity War, Civil War, Days of Future Past, Logan. It also looks like he actually turns to crime out of choice, so that's pretty different, for a start.

monolith

Quote from: bgmnts on December 16, 2018, 09:12:34 AM
I like Wakeem but fuck me  arent there multiple Joker films coming out?

Why aren't people bored of superheros and star wars yet?
Solo lost money.

Sin Agog

Marc Maron's in it.  He recently told an anecdote on the pod about doing a corridor-walking scene with De Niro, only for him to stop the scene, go up to the director, and whisper something in his ear.  The director then said to Maron, "Do you think you can make your performance a bit smaller?"

Fuck. That would be one of those moments that would prey on me late at night.  Maron seemed pretty unphased by it, though.

Quote from: Kelvin on December 16, 2018, 01:14:32 PM
You could say that about loads of great comic book films, though. Infinity War, Civil War, Days of Future Past, Logan. It also looks like he actually turns to crime out of choice, so that's pretty different, for a start.

I really don't know a great deal about comic books or their film adaptations, but I have read Killing Joke. I've always felt that Moore's basic concept of the Joker as a failed stand-up comedian who eventually snapped was an inspired and potentially rich source of material for any other writer who wanted to run with it.

I also agree, Kelvin, that a "gritty film of integrity" must sound appealing to WB and DC at this point. It's just that it should probably be directed by some weird little art-house visionary.

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 16, 2018, 01:41:39 PM
Marc Maron's in it.  He recently told an anecdote on the pod about doing a corridor-walking scene with De Niro, only for him to stop the scene, go up to the director, and whisper something in his ear.  The director then said to Maron, "Do you think you can make your performance a bit smaller?"

Fuck. That would be one of those moments that would prey on me late at night.  Maron seemed pretty unphased by it, though.

As you say, Maron didn't sound phased at all, but would it have killed 'Bob' to quietly and constructively suggest that note to his fellow actor instead of consorting with the director? That's just rude, Robert De Niro.

Kelvin

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 16, 2018, 01:59:37 PM
As you say, Maron didn't sound phased at all, but would it have killed 'Bob' to quietly and constructively suggest that note to his fellow actor instead of consorting with the director? That's just rude, Robert De Niro.

It's probably considered ruder to tell famous actors how to act. The director should probably have been more diplomatic.

Quote from: Kelvin on December 16, 2018, 02:50:50 PM
It's probably considered ruder to tell famous actors how to act. The director should probably have been more diplomatic.

Fair point, yes, it's ultimately up to the director to take care of such matters in a diplomatic fashion. I very much doubt that De Niro said "This guy is overplaying it, and tell him I said so."

lipsink

So is the teaser just the first part of that video? The second half is that just someone filming footage on their phone of some shooting?

I would've thought that was obvious, yes.

MuteBanana

Why is this even been allowed to happen when DC fillums are scrambling to gain any kind of credibility?

garnish

When are we going to see Catwoman and Batman fuck, come on it can be a proper comic film for grown ups - finally - and you could make it like Last Tango in Paris or Confessions of a Window Cleaner