Author Topic: Joker (2019 Joker film)  (Read 5800 times)

Re: Joker (2019 Joker film)
« Reply #150 on: April 11, 2019, 09:30:17 AM »
The trailer's style somewhat vaguely reminded me of Brian Azzarello's Joker comic book.

Might be a weird statement to make but this movie looks good, but not really as a Joker movie?

« Reply #151 on: April 11, 2019, 11:49:37 AM »
The thing with The Dark Knight is that at that time Nolan (and his brother and Goyer) really like having characters give big speeches about what they themselves represent, what each other represents, what other people in their lives represent, what certain ideas represent; it can get a little like watching a film with the optional extra to watch a film studies lecture about the film turned on. So when yet another character gives such a speech it’s hard not to take it at face value. But maybe that’s the film’s masterstroke?

Presumably there would have also been some kind of conclusion or twist with the character had Ledger lived to make the third film.

« Reply #152 on: April 11, 2019, 12:19:37 PM »
Its really been the nature of a lot of Nolan's films since then hasn't it? they tend to state there ideas very openly, you could argue I spose the price to be paid for working with massive blockbuster budgets.

Glebe

• Cheers, thanks mate, nice one.
« Reply #153 on: June 18, 2019, 02:08:35 AM »

St_Eddie

• *The Patron Saint of Scallywags*
  • Silver Member
« Reply #154 on: June 18, 2019, 03:16:58 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that this movie is going to be exceptionally good.  I'd be willing to bet money on it.

« Reply #155 on: June 18, 2019, 04:02:16 PM »
my prediction is that it'll be sympathetically reviewed but actually a load of toss 

Mister Six

• Half-masted, bass-boosted, sling-backed
« Reply #156 on: Yesterday at 03:36:13 AM »
I'll split the difference and say it'll be a perfectly average-to-decent film, nothing massively special, but elevated by a fantastic central performance and some very pretty cinematography. It'll get generally positive reviews and be in for technical Oscars, but won't be remembered by much of anyone two, three years from now, unless they decide to do a sequel or have a geriatric Joker face off against Robert Pattinson in some daft crossover event.

« Reply #157 on: Yesterday at 07:39:10 AM »
I reckon it will be ambitious but the writer/director won't have the chops to pull it off so it will be a decent film that could have been more

« Reply #158 on: Yesterday at 09:15:35 AM »
I reckon it will be a film about the bad bloke from Batman 1.

« Reply #159 on: Yesterday at 12:14:37 PM »
I reckon it will be ambitious but the writer/director won't have the chops to pull it off so it will be a decent film that could have been more

Yeah, this. I think Phoenix is one of the best actors around but Todd Phillips is a mediocre director at best. His best work as a director was the GG Allin biopic at the beginning of his career, so maybe he'll channel that energy and Phoenix will fling his shit at De Niro.