Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:44:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Joker (2019 Joker film)

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, December 16, 2018, 08:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timothy

The trailer's style somewhat vaguely reminded me of Brian Azzarello's Joker comic book.

Might be a weird statement to make but this movie looks good, but not really as a Joker movie?

SavageHedgehog

The thing with The Dark Knight is that at that time Nolan (and his brother and Goyer) really like having characters give big speeches about what they themselves represent, what each other represents, what other people in their lives represent, what certain ideas represent; it can get a little like watching a film with the optional extra to watch a film studies lecture about the film turned on. So when yet another character gives such a speech it's hard not to take it at face value. But maybe that's the film's masterstroke?

Presumably there would have also been some kind of conclusion or twist with the character had Ledger lived to make the third film.

greenman

Its really been the nature of a lot of Nolan's films since then hasn't it? they tend to state there ideas very openly, you could argue I spose the price to be paid for working with massive blockbuster budgets.

St_Eddie

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that this movie is going to be exceptionally good.  I'd be willing to bet money on it.

my prediction is that it'll be sympathetically reviewed but actually a load of toss 

Mister Six

I'll split the difference and say it'll be a perfectly average-to-decent film, nothing massively special, but elevated by a fantastic central performance and some very pretty cinematography. It'll get generally positive reviews and be in for technical Oscars, but won't be remembered by much of anyone two, three years from now, unless they decide to do a sequel or have a geriatric Joker face off against Robert Pattinson in some daft crossover event.

phantom_power

I reckon it will be ambitious but the writer/director won't have the chops to pull it off so it will be a decent film that could have been more

Bazooka

I reckon it will be a film about the bad bloke from Batman 1.

Quote from: phantom_power on June 19, 2019, 07:39:10 AM
I reckon it will be ambitious but the writer/director won't have the chops to pull it off so it will be a decent film that could have been more

Yeah, this. I think Phoenix is one of the best actors around but Todd Phillips is a mediocre director at best. His best work as a director was the GG Allin biopic at the beginning of his career, so maybe he'll channel that energy and Phoenix will fling his shit at De Niro.

Puce Moment

Marc Maron is in the cast. The best actor working in Hollywood today acting opposite the hackiest fucker around.

Goldentony

Before we get into the homicidal clown, folks - lemme tell ya about Squarespace

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 20, 2019, 01:59:55 PM
Marc Maron is in the cast. The best actor working in Hollywood today acting opposite the hackiest fucker around.
Maron is good in GLOW, although he's basically playing himself.

chveik

Quote from: Goldentony on June 20, 2019, 03:52:32 PM
Before we get into the homicidal clown, folks - lemme tell ya about Squarespace

I laughed

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Seeing as it's partly based in the world of stand-up comedy, he's probably playing himself in this too.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's one series in which him shouting "POW!" would be particularly appropriate.

VelourSpirit

Apparently this Todd Phillips was a Hangover director. That Craig Mazin was a Hangover man too and then Chernobyl was good, so maybe this is the year for Hangover men.
I'm looking forward to this solely based off Phoenix in You Were Never Really Here, although I keep feeling put off when I'm reminded it's a Batman thing. They are doing a pretty good job making it as not Batman-y as possible.

Ja'moke

Phil_A

Oh fuck that colour grading is diabolical.

Why more filmmakers don't push back against the teal n' orange hegemony i've no idea. Do they actually think it looks good?

Dr Rock

Quote from: Ja'moke on August 28, 2019, 07:09:01 PM
Full trailer now out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAGVQLHvwOY

The King Of Comedy reference - well it's more than that - is very interesting. Plus Robert De Niro, was that a secret he was in it until now?

Mister Six

Nah, he's been attached for ages and was in the first trailer.

New trailer looks pretty decent, I think. Still nice to see something that doesn't end with a rising string crescendo and lots of CGI explosions and whizzing about.

Kelvin

I'd say it looks excellent, impressive script, acting, direction, but I can't shake the concern that so many of the beats are being repeated again. Over two trailers he's been beaten up at least three times, and hit by a car once. He's done the smile/laugh then suddenly looks miserable thing more times than I can count.

I do think the film looks to have a lot of potential, and could well end up being genuinely great, but I really hope those repeated beats feel more cumulative than they appear when cut together in a short trailer.

Glebe

I feel like I've seen too much already.

Schnapple

Looks good, far more understated than I'd anticipated.

kalowski

Is Batman in it? And if not, why not?
I can't handle a 2 hour journey to becoming the Joker, just drop him in a vat I'd chemicals and get the caped crusader out.

Kelvin

Quote from: kalowski on August 28, 2019, 10:10:11 PM
Is Batman in it? And if not, why not?
I can't handle a 2 hour journey to becoming the Joker, just drop him in a vat I'd chemicals and get the caped crusader out.

Bruce Wayne is in it. I can't remember how to do spoiler colours on my phone, so wont give details, but they have confirmed he's in it.

East of Eden

I wish more Hollywood films featured wry slams of beloved English entertainer's best jokes decades after they've died.

Fuck you dead Bob Monkhouse.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 28, 2019, 07:40:06 PM
The King Of Comedy reference - well it's more than that - is very interesting. Plus Robert De Niro, was that a secret he was in it until now?

The King of Comedy references aren't subtle, but De Niro playing a version of Jerry Langford (or Pupkin, if he'd somehow succeeded) is quite a nice idea.

greenman

I sense this is falling between the art/entertainment divide on CaB.

Twit 2

It does look like absolute shit for cunts, though.