Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:19:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Joker (2019 Joker film)

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, December 16, 2018, 08:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

Batman does actually have a shag in a bolted on bit to the Killing Joke animated film, to pad the running time out

It's as stupid as it sounds. On a rooftop too, the dirty bastard

Timothy

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 16, 2018, 09:35:29 AM
The Hangover wasn't great at all, it was just another one of those dreary, forgettable American comedies starring a load of unfunny blokes called Seth.

I don't think this will be a particularly good film, I just like the idea - in theory - of an early Scorsese-influenced Joker drama.

Absolutely disagree. Hangover trilogy was great. Really really funny. Especially the third one.

High hopes for this.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: MuteBanana on December 16, 2018, 07:51:41 PM
Why is this even been allowed to happen when DC fillums are scrambling to gain any kind of credibility?

Precisely because they're scrambling to gain any kind of credibility? As comments in this thread have already suggested?

wooders1978

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 16, 2018, 08:08:58 PM
Batman does actually have a shag in a bolted on bit to the Killing Joke animated film, to pad the running time out

It's as stupid as it sounds. On a rooftop too, the dirty bastard
It absolutely tanked didn't it?
Why they decided to mess with the formula of "just make an animated version of the comic" which has done so well so far, with perhaps the most treasured and darkest Batman GN I'll never know, but like hiring the hangover fella for a gritty joker origin story, I'll never understand Hollywood, full of pricks I reckon

garnish

Think sometimes directors get the job for big features like this when they pitch for it to the executives, doing powerpoint presentations and whatnot.

That's how Sam Raimi got the Spiderman gig I think.

Glebe

St_Eddie

This is one of the very few comic book movies that I actually have an interest in seeing.  The last time was with Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy (2002-2007).

Noodle Lizard

Trailer's out:  https://youtu.be/t433PEQGErc

Looks a bit emo, lads.  Reminded me a bit of Entertainment at some parts, maybe shades of The King Of Comedy (or that could just be because I spied Robert DeNiro playing a talkshow host).  Call me cautiously optimistic.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 03, 2019, 02:20:40 PM

Coo.  That looks really good.  I'm definitely looking forward to this now.

Too much teal and bloody orange, mind.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 03, 2019, 02:20:40 PMCall me cautiously optimistic.

Why, hello there, cautiously optimistic.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 03, 2019, 02:20:40 PM

Looks a bit emo, lads.  Reminded me a bit of Entertainment at some parts, maybe shades of The King Of Comedy (or that could just be because I spied Robert DeNiro playing a talkshow host).  Call me cautiously optimistic.

I spotted Zazie Beetz and Brian Tyree Henry, so I like to think this film is taking place within the extended Atlanta-universe.

Mister Six

Hopefully this is DC figuring how to get out of the mire it's made by sacking off big crossover universes and just giving good properties to good directors (although I wouldn't have expected this from the director of The Hangover trilogy!) without worrying about oiling the mechanism of some ghastly overblown branding machine. It certainly looks lush and distinctive, and appearances by Atlanta alum are always welcome.

It looks like it could be a bit one-note, and I'm going to avoid any further trailers because I worry there isn't really a lot of meat on the bone here, but I'd much rather this sort of thing and other disparate styles than them trying to churn out endless glossy Wonder Woman/Aquaman universe films, regardless of how good those two entries were. If DC Films can continue to put out films as varied as this and Shazam! while keeping the quality high, it might finally have justified its existence.

Kryton

Must admit this looks tempting. I'm absolutely bored to death of the superhero genre, I thought Deadpool was utter wank and haven't even bothered with the Avenger bollocks, but I did enjoy Nolan's Batman stuff.

This looks gritty and tragic.

Put me in the category of optimistic.

Puce Moment

I stopped that trailer quick because I was pretty much sold in the first 20 seconds. Imagine if they stop doing shitty fan-service comic book adaptations for man-children, and started doing this instead?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Puce Moment on April 03, 2019, 04:05:18 PM
Imagine if they stop doing shitty fan-service comic book adaptations for man-children, and started doing this instead?

Pretty much why this is the only comic book movie that I've been interested in for over a decade.

Glebe

samadriel

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 03, 2019, 04:15:12 PM
Pretty much why this is the only comic book movie that I've been interested in for over a decade.
You should watch Logan. They unquestionably got that right, and this trailer reminds me of that film somewhat.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Glebe on April 03, 2019, 07:41:54 PM
Btw, is that The Exorcist stairs?

No, they look somewhat similar but the stairs in the trailer are far too wide by comparison and also unlike the ones in The Exorcist, they have street lamps.  There's also not a dead priest laying at the feet of them.

Kelvin

Decent trailer. Looks well directed, and commendably lacking in distracting comic references - although I agree with Mister Six that it looks a bit one note and repetitive. How many times can we see him smile insincerely or incongruously? In fact, he even sticks his fingers in his (or another person's) mouth several times in the one trailer.

Quote from: samadriel on April 03, 2019, 08:04:55 PM
You should watch Logan. They unquestionably got that right, and this trailer reminds me of that film somewhat.

Absolutely. My favourite Superhero film since Dark Knight. If you liked the look of this, St Eddie, I'd say Logan is right up your street. Low key, charachter led piece that's very affecting, and barely even feels like a traditional comic book movie.   

samadriel

Quote from: Kelvin on April 03, 2019, 10:11:49 PM
Decent trailer. Looks well directed, and commendably lacking in distracting comic references - although I agree with Mister Six that it looks a bit one note and repetitive. How many times can we see him smile insincerely or incongruously? In fact, he even sticks his fingers in his (or another person's) mouth several times in the one trailer.

And he gets beaten up in a clown suit twice, I would've thought once would've sufficed in a trailer.  Or show a bit of him turning the tables for variety's sake.  Still, 'salright.

Kelvin

Quote from: samadriel on April 03, 2019, 10:22:01 PM
And he gets beaten up in a clown suit twice, I would've thought once would've sufficed in a trailer.  Or show a bit of him turning the tables for variety's sake.  Still, 'salright.

I suppose it's possible that in the film, the second incident is a/the turning point, and he actually retaliates after the bit we see.

Jerzy Bondov

Wow, a happy song slowed down and played over violent scenes? Truly twisted. Almost as twisted as this wacky 'Joker' character

St_Eddie

Quote from: Kelvin on April 03, 2019, 10:11:49 PM
Absolutely. My favourite Superhero film since Dark Knight. If you liked the look of this, St Eddie, I'd say Logan is right up your street. Low key, charachter led piece that's very affecting, and barely even feels like a traditional comic book movie.

Thanks for the recommendation.  I may be tempted but it depends on one thing; do I need to have seen a billion other bleh-de-bleh-corporate-cinematic-universe-bleh-de-bleh movies to understand what the fuck's happening, or any of the previous X-Men movies for that matter?  It's a deal breaker, quite frankly.

Kelvin

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 03, 2019, 10:28:52 PM
I might be tempted but that depends on one thing; do I need to have seen a billion other bleh-de-bleh-cinematic-universe-bleh-de-bleh movies to understand what's happening, or any of the previous X-Men movies for that matter?  It's a deal breaker.

Certainly not plot wise - although everything will resonate a bit more if you know the two male leads have a bond from past films. It actually does away with several of the previous movies, and shows an alternate take on the future of that world. All you really need to know is that Professor X was a powerful physic who ran a school for mutants, and that he took Logan under his wing, after years of him being a violent loner. That's all the background you need, really. If you've seen even one X-Men film you'd already have enough context, and even without it, I'm sure it would stand up fine. The main plot of the film and nearly all the major characters are new.     

St_Eddie

Quote from: Kelvin on April 03, 2019, 10:36:57 PM
Certainly not plot wise - although everything will resonate a bit more if you know the two male leads have a bond from past films. It actually does away with several of the previous movies, and shows an alternate take on the future of that world. All you really need to know is that Professor X was a powerful physic who ran a school for mutants, and that he took Logan under his wing, after years of him being a violent loner. That's all the background you need, really. If you've seen even one X-Men film you'd already have enough context, and even without it, I'm sure it would stand up fine. The main plot of the film and nearly all the major characters are new.   

Ah okay.  Thanks.  I may give it a go on that basis.  I mean, I know the fundamental basics of the X-Men (Professor X and what have you), despite having barely watched or read any of the stories.  That sort of thing has transcended popular-culture.  What I'm concerned about is watching it and having a character show up who serves no real purpose to the plot and is only there as a callback to a previous movie or as a setup to a future spin-off.  As long as it's entirely self-contained, then I'm cool.

Ornlu

[tag]Dee-Dee finally returns[/tag]

Glebe

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 03, 2019, 08:15:07 PMNo, they look somewhat similar but the stairs in the trailer are far too wide by comparison and also unlike the ones in The Exorcist, they have street lamps.  There's also not a dead priest laying at the feet of them.

Ah right... and actually that was filmed in Washington DC, I believe, while this was filmed in New York, surely?

Btw, I know Alec Baldwin turned down the part of Thomas Wayne, but the guy playing him in that trailer looks very like him.

Kelvin

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 03, 2019, 11:05:23 PM
Ah okay.  Thanks.  I may give it a go on that basis.  I mean, I know the fundamental basics of the X-Men (Professor X and what have you), despite having barely watched or read any of the stories.  That sort of thing has transcended popular-culture.  What I'm concerned about is watching it and having a character show up who serves no real purpose to the plot and is only there as a callback to a previous movie or as a setup to a future spin-off.  As long as it's entirely self-contained, then I'm cool.

Ah right, well, then I can assure you that doesn't happen. There's maybe one or two references in the dialogue, but that's it.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Glebe on April 03, 2019, 11:19:02 PM
Ah right... and actually that was filmed in Washington DC, I believe, while this was filmed in New York, surely?

Correct on both counts.  Although some of the city scenes in Joker were filmed in Los Angeles as well.

Quote from: Kelvin on April 03, 2019, 11:25:36 PM
Ah right, well, then I can assure you that doesn't happen. There's maybe one or two references in the dialogue, but that's it.

Ah, great.  That's me sold then.  Ta.

Mister Six

Yeah I was going to say exactly that.

fucking ponderous

This looks very good, but it's about the joker and directed by the man who made the hangover films.