Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:13:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Day Shall Come

Started by AzureSky, December 16, 2018, 08:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

chveik

I thought this was a Chris Morris forum. nobody seems to care.
According to wikipedia, the film is ''believed to revolve around an FBI agent who comes into conflict with her superiors and an FBI operation gone wrong''. it's rather vague but hopefully it will be good.

the

In case you missed it, there has been some prior discussion of the film here. I expect people will start chatting about it more when a release date and/or some publicity is announced.

Small Man Big Horse

It's odd that shooting was completed over a year ago and this is the first we've heard of the title, I know editing a film normally takes a good few months but I still don't know why it's taken so long to come out. Maybe they just took a long time to find a US distributor or something but I'd be interested to hear from Morris himself about the matter.

muddybug

Interesting tidbit:

"The biggest single production award went to The King's Speech producer See-Saw which was granted £1.5M for its under-the-radar Untitled Chris Morris Project."

https://deadline.com/2018/08/bfi-annual-report-brexit-executive-pay-1202443178/

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Excellent. Was just thinking about the man Morris this morning.

Shaky

I'm interested in the fact Morris is listed as sole writer for this (assuming IMDB is correct). Been a long time since we've had some real solo stuff from him - as much as I loved Four Lions, it didn't entirely feel like Morris to me.

Mister Six

Was just wondering what happened to this - IMDB gave me the title and Google bounced me to this thread.

Anna Kendrick's Instagram photos (the ones with her wearing an FBI uniform and carrying a machine gun) were posted in July 2017. The news stories linking them to Morris came out in November of that year. It's now been a year and a half and we've only just got the title, it looks like.

Is that an unusually long time for a film to be made? I would've thought something shot in the summer of 2017 would be about ready to emerge into the light of day by now, but this article from a couple of days ago suggests that since the film isn't appearing at Sundance (which is where Four Lions premiered) later this month it'll most likely premiere either at Berlin in February or (more likely) Toronto in September.

Then again, I suppose smaller-budget films with big ambitions can take longer to shoot as they don't have the sheer production machinery of a blockbuster.

Ferris

Quote from: Mister Six on January 08, 2019, 03:06:44 AM
it'll most likely premiere either at Berlin in February or (more likely) Toronto in September.

Result! Got a reason to go to TIFF now.

Mister Six

If I hadn't already spunked away all my holiday for next year I'd be tempted to book a holiday for that. Hm, maybe a long weekend... how early do they announce the festival lineups, and how easy is it to get tickets? Never been to a proper, big-name film festival before.

Ferris

Quote from: Mister Six on January 08, 2019, 03:33:01 AM
If I hadn't already spunked away all my holiday for next year I'd be tempted to book a holiday for that. Hm, maybe a long weekend... how early do they announce the festival lineups, and how easy is it to get tickets? Never been to a proper, big-name film festival before.

Not sure on lineups and tickets, but flights to TO are fairly cheap if you fly Porter into the island airport downtown. You're in NYC right? I think they leave from La guardia but I may have that wrong. $250 USD return maybe.

You'd be welcome to join the Toronto contingent to watch it, pretty sure we'll organize something if TIFF is indeed the premier.

Mister Six

I'll let you guys know if I can make it...

muddybug

https://www.screendaily.com/features/13-uk-and-irish-films-to-tempt-festival-directors-in-2019/5135705.article

New info about the film:

"Four Lions filmmaker Morris is understood to be close to completion on The Day Shall Come. The film is produced by See-Saw Films with US outfit Archer Gray, Film4 and the BFI, and stars Marchant Davis, Danielle Brooks, Anna Kendrick and Denis O'Hare.

An impoverished preacher in Miami is offered cash to save his family from eviction. He has no idea his sponsor works for the FBI, who plan to turn him into a criminal by fueling his madcap revolutionary dreams."

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mister Six on January 08, 2019, 04:31:56 AM
I'll let you guys know if I can make it...

A new reason to stay in Canada.

Ferris

Head Gardener

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Mister Six on January 08, 2019, 03:33:01 AM

Get on the festival mailing list at tiff.net.

I've never attended, but TIFF is pretty audience-friendly as far as big festivals go. You buy blocks of tickets for your desired films up front, first come first served. If you miss out on that and don't mind lining up for a few hours, they have rush lines outside the venue before the screening too.

BlodwynPig

Always wanted to go, fucked it.

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 15, 2019, 10:21:50 PM
Always wanted to go, fucked it.

You can always come back for a weekend if you're on the same continent...

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 15, 2019, 10:44:19 PM
You can always come back for a weekend if you're on the same continent...

We'll see. Working with a company long term so options to wangle a flight over.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ferris

Old Nehamkin

That site lists Jesse Armstrong as co-writer, which I think is new.

Quote from: Shaky on January 02, 2019, 08:28:16 AM
I'm interested in the fact Morris is listed as sole writer for this (assuming IMDB is correct). Been a long time since we've had some real solo stuff from him - as much as I loved Four Lions, it didn't entirely feel like Morris to me.

To be fair, he's collaborated with other writers on nearly all his projects, hasn't he? The only exceptions I can think of are My Wrongs and his newspaper columns.

Shaky

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on January 17, 2019, 09:11:26 AM
That site lists Jesse Armstrong as co-writer, which I think is new.

To be fair, he's collaborated with other writers on nearly all his projects, hasn't he? The only exceptions I can think of are My Wrongs and his newspaper columns.

Very  true, but his voice tended to stick out very strongly up until and including Jam.

Not sure what my point, to be honest. Think I just miss the rush of pure-Morris silliness.

imitationleather

What do people think of Four Lions now? I think I've only actually seen it all the way through twice, which considering how much I've watched Morris's other stuff says it all. The first time was a preview at the BFI when I was pissed up and very excited and it seemed glorious. The second time was after release and I was a lot calmer and it felt very, very patchy. Even verging on quite boring at points. Aside from the subject matter sounding pretty outlandish there wasn't much in there that suggested it was a Morris project at all and it barely gets talked about at all now. Even Nathan Barley seems to have undergone a bit of a reappraisal and is better regarded than it was on release, but Four Lions just feels like it's dropped into obscurity.

With this new one the synopsis has me going "Huh?" a bit. I guess we'll see.

Thomas

I think the synopsis is promising; suggestive, perhaps, that the more research Morris did for Four Lions, the more interested he became in the dark dodginess of the security services.

There are a few hints of that shadowy world in Four Lions - especially at the end, with the government official in the shipping container, politely reminding the Muslim suspect that they're technically on Egyptian soil. It's a compelling direction in which to swivel his satire beams. I look forward to his eventual James Bond script.

Be good if, in the meantime, Morris pops up in This Time with Alan Partridge. We were treated to a bit of unexpected Morris screentime in Comedy Vehicle (2014) and The Double (2013), and he's a fantastically charismatic presence - the best thing about The IT Crowd - so I hope we get to see some more of his onscreen pretending soon.

Clownbaby