Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:59:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Day Shall Come

Started by AzureSky, December 16, 2018, 08:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

That's not for the public - it's the ICO Screening Days reserved for members of the film industry only

It is strange though that there is nothing announced at all about a release....

EBGB

Quote from: sponk on March 25, 2019, 04:32:30 AM

That's a disaster of a suit that should've never been made.

Are you sure it's not the same suit as in 'Paedogeddon', just performing insanely badly under these lights?

EBGB

Quote from: Boycey on June 11, 2019, 12:49:54 PM
That's not for the public - it's the ICO Screening Days reserved for members of the film industry only

It is strange though that there is nothing announced at all about a release....

I commented on YT slightly recently regarding the lack of news, & was somewhat stonkered to get an answer from Marchánt Davis himself a few days ago saying that it'll be soon.  Seeing the post above wrt the screenings in Lewes (14 miles from me) at the beginning of July, I'm seriously considering lurking outside The Depot & stalking anyone remotely connected with the film in order to find out more.  Stunning little cinema run by lovely people; I can't imagine they'd judge me too harshly.

greenman

Looking at that review you could perhaps argue Morris's biggest disconnect with the current era is that he isn't so overt in terms of "picking a side". I mean his work has always tended to focus on the establishment(and specifically the media) but its rarely been the case that he'll show any viewpoint in an entirely uncritical fashion. That seemed to be the main gist of the reviews negativity, that the leader of the religious group was the target for satire as well as the government agents.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: greenman on June 23, 2019, 05:54:06 AM
Looking at that review you could perhaps argue Morris's biggest disconnect with the current era is that he isn't so overt in terms of "picking a side". I mean his work has always tended to focus on the establishment(and specifically the media) but its rarely been the case that he'll show any viewpoint in an entirely uncritical fashion. That seemed to be the main gist of the reviews negativity, that the leader of the religious group was the target for satire as well as the government agents.

It's a shame really, especially as we're living in a world that increasingly gets more and more mental. You'd think that more people would pick up on the fact there's room for daftness pretty much everywhere.

Even if it isn't overtly picking a side, why does it have to? Can't something just be funny in and of itself without trying to hammer some agenda or political standpoint into the ground?

joaquin closet

Let's not pick apart the reviews before we've seen the film, whats the point in it really.

Obviously we all want it to be good, but why defend something that for all we know might be shit!

Probably won't be though cos its Morris.

the

I think the posters here are remaining open-minded.

That said, if people want to discuss the manner in which the film seems to be perceived by reviewers, nothing wrong with that.

(I'm not doing it though because I'm not reading any reviews until after I've seen the film.)

Noodle Lizard

My friend who saw it at SXSW's problem with it was that it felt a bit bland and toothless compared to what he knows Morris is capable of - even when doing something more "accessible" like Four Lions.  My guess is it's fine enough on its own merits, but significantly less impressive than we've come to expect from Morris.  Kind of like the post I made about Mike Patton earlier - it's not that any of his work now is exceptionally bad, just fares poorly in comparison to the high standard he set for himself/his audience in the 90s.

There's also something to be said for the difference in the entertainment climate between 90s Channel 4 and now.  In the 90s, Channel 4 was pretty willing to accept new and "edgy" stuff, aware that they were the punk-rock entry of only 5 available channels (for a lot of people at the time).  That climate allows something like Brass Eye or Jam to flourish.  With both TV and moviemaking now, it really is about appealing to the widest possible audience within your broad or potential demographics.  A truly unique idea from Morris now probably wouldn't get all that far, realistically, but if he can prove that US audiences will go and see his films with something "safe", that perhaps allows him some creative playroom in the future.  That's what I hope for, anyway.

Shaky

Quote from: joaquin closet on June 24, 2019, 02:10:46 PM
Let's not pick apart the reviews before we've seen the film, whats the point in it really.

Obviously we all want it to be good, but why defend something that for all we know might be shit!

Probably won't be though cos its Morris.

Morris has been involved in some less than stellar stuff though, it has to be said. I sort-of enjoyed Nathan Barley at the time but it was pretty thin, desperate stuff compared to some of his other work. And I still think Jam was a missed opportunity when it should've stepped out of the shadows of the radio show.

Mister Six

Wayhey! Excited about this.

13 schoolyards

Showing early August at the Melbourne International Film Festival if you're in the neighbourhood: http://miff.com.au/program/film/the-day-shall-come

zomgmouse

I am very much in the neighbourhood. Ticket has been booked for the 6th of August if anyone's around and wants to catch up.

Suki Bapswent

Yep, I'll be booking a ticket for Melbourne too.

Frustratingly, Broadsheet advertised that Morris was going to be in town and presenting these screenings, but MIFF confirmed to me earlier that this was a mistake and they'll be publishing a correction.

zomgmouse

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Suki Bapswent on July 11, 2019, 07:52:33 AM
Yep, I'll be booking a ticket for Melbourne too.

Frustratingly, Broadsheet advertised that Morris was going to be in town and presenting these screenings, but MIFF confirmed to me earlier that this was a mistake and they'll be publishing a correction.

You absolutely did not hear this from me, but supposedly Morris was lined up to come out until fairly late in proceedings - though exactly what he'd have been doing in the way of appearances / Q&As and the like was very much up in the air until the moment he pulled out.

(and frankly, the chances would have been extremely high that he'd have been paired with some local dickhead who would have made any appearance a nightmare - many of Melbourne's most pretentious and unfunny "media personalities" have made sure to talk up their vague awareness of The Day Today in the pages of The Age over the years)

EBGB

UK release date now shifted to 11th October.

buntyman

I'm off to see this next week. Managing my expectations as I didn't find Four Lions particularly funny but looking forward to it.

EBGB

Quote from: buntyman on July 18, 2019, 05:20:51 AM
I'm off to see this next week. Managing my expectations as I didn't find Four Lions particularly funny but looking forward to it.

And?

Mister Six

Where and how are you seeing it?

buntyman

I saw it last night at the NZ international film festival. Crowd turnout was surprisingly pretty low compared to other lower profile films I'd been to during the festival and was one of only 2 screenings (with the other in the middle of a weekday afternoon). Sadly I don't think it really deserved much more as it wasn't very funny and barely recognisable as a Chris Morris thing other than some similarities to four lions. The source material probably seemed hilarious and a surefire hit translation to a comedy film but the characters just weren't very well developed and I'm not sure if the American accent made any difference but the dialogue seemed nowhere near what Chris Morris has been involved in in the past.

EBGB

Oh.  That doesn't sound positive.  I shall console myself with your earlier comment re: not much liking 'Four Lions' & just keep my fingers crossed until the UK release.

Thank you.

BlodwynPig

buntyman

It was ok though, breezed along enjoyably enough. Just disappointed that it didn't leave much of an impression, especially after a long time with nothing from him

object-lesson

I won't be too surprised if it's as routine as people are making out. Morris did certain particular forms of humour exceptionally well, but Nathan Barley showed when he stepped out of that zone he could be as ordinary as anyone. He'll know it, which must be why he's been so sporadic since.

Four Lions was very good for what it was, a straightforward black farce, but I was disappointed at the banality of his attempts at promotion.

Ferris

Nathan Barley was brilliant though..?

BlodwynPig

Yes Barley was better than 99% of stuff at the time.

Shaky

Quote from: object-lesson on August 03, 2019, 11:17:50 PM
Four Lions was very good for what it was, a straightforward black farce, but I was disappointed at the banality of his attempts at promotion.

Really? Not sure what else he was supposed to do. Some sort of bizarre stunt probably would've drawn attention away from what he was trying to do with the film. I enjoyed him hitting the campaign trail, confidently doing interviews as himself etc. It also spread his name around the US to a larger degree which he deserves.

With Barley, the main issues were it a) wasn't very funny and b) the targets were incredibly easy. There was also only a very cursory attempt to build a consistent world around the crudely-drawn characters and that approach gets stretched very thin across 6 episodes.