Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:53:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Day Shall Come

Started by AzureSky, December 16, 2018, 08:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mister Six on August 09, 2019, 06:18:08 AM
The trailer wasn't good - if I didn't know what the film was about beforehand I'd struggle to figure it out - but it wasn't as catastrophic as implied upthread. At the very least the dinosaur horn, the "who's more likely to have the gun" line and the bit about informing on himself made me laugh. I worry that the trailer has pretty much exactly laid out the plot of the film, though.

Tired, well-worn, even cliched laughs, but laughs nonetheless

EBGB

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on August 08, 2019, 11:06:57 PM
Urgh it really was terrible wasn't it. I was worried my friend would see the trailer at the cinema and say "This is your favourite film that you've been telling me to check out for years? Fuck that."
Did you go & see the film, though?  It was a complete joy for me to watch it on the big screen for the first time.  Though I suspect I may have annoyed people by laughing ahead of some of the jokes.  What really disturbed me was that, even in Brighton on a Sunday afternoon, the indie cinema was only about a third full.  And I had to wait for several weeks for a single screening within 15 miles of where I live.  WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE???

object-lesson

Quote from: EBGB on August 09, 2019, 08:24:27 AM
Did you go & see the film, though?  It was a complete joy for me to watch it on the big screen for the first time.  Though I suspect I may have annoyed people by laughing ahead of some of the jokes.  What really disturbed me was that, even in Brighton on a Sunday afternoon, the indie cinema was only about a third full.  And I had to wait for several weeks for a single screening within 15 miles of where I live.  WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE???

How much do people value seeing a film on the big screen as opposed to on the TV/PC? I've probably seen Kind Hearts and Coronets about six times on the TV and it's never really struck me that I should watch it at the cinema, but thinking about it now I can see I might be missing out on something.

EBGB

I work on the principle that if it's been made for the big screen, then viewing it on a small screen means I'll miss detail.  E.g. KH&C, the scene outside the pub when Louis first meets Henry.  There's a change in the filming which makes it *feel* like he's seeing Henry through his own camera, rather than the film camera (if that makes sense?) - I've watched the film easily into double figures, and never clocked that before.  Saw a double bill of Terminator / T2 last week on the big screen, first time for both of those, and I'd missed all sorts of stuff previously.  See also: Chris Nolan films.  And I like that a big screen can overwhelm / submerge me in the event of the thing.  Plus I concentrate better when I'm not at home.  My only objection to cinema viewing is that in the wrong cinema, the noise is just too much.

But I know I'm in a depressingly small minority these days.  :(

object-lesson

Yes, for people like Christopher Nolan and obviously Terrence Malick a big screen is pretty much essential. Though the ending of the 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers probably wouldn't still be coming back to me in the night decades later if I hadn't seen it on a real old-fashioned full-sized screen at the cinema. That was a bad move.

EBGB

IMDb's been updated with a shedload more info.  This is interesting: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7078658/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_wr#writers/  Was anyone previously aware of writers other than CM & Jesse Armstrong?

Quote from: EBGB on August 09, 2019, 07:55:53 PM
I work on the principle that if it's been made for the big screen, then viewing it on a small screen means I'll miss detail.  E.g. KH&C, the scene outside the pub when Louis first meets Henry.  There's a change in the filming which makes it *feel* like he's seeing Henry through his own camera, rather than the film camera (if that makes sense?) - I've watched the film easily into double figures, and never clocked that before. 
This is from memory but...the climatic scene in Secrets and Lies where Timothy Spall gives the big speech, 'we're all in pain, why can't we share our grief?' is really different on the big screen. On the small screen, Spall's performance is really moving, but on the big screen the scene is made way more complicated and interesting by the reactions of the other characters, especially the guy playing Spall's neice's boyfriend, up to that point a minor character, totally in the background on a TV screen, reacting to the unfolding drama with a brilliant 'Oh fuck, I'm out of my depth here' that makes the scene also really funny

alan nagsworth

That trailer really does fucking suck. What's with the bombastic Brooklyn Nine Nine style music? Total wank. I suspect the film isn't paced like that at all so why you'd try and sell it that way is ... well it isn't beyond me, because it's so obviously a (piss awful) marketing ploy, but... ugh.

I watched Office Space for the first time the other day but I very nearly didn't because the trailer was dreadful and not representative of the style or pace of the film at all. The stupid fucking squeak noise they play over the old guy on the zimmer which does not happen in the actual film! Fuck off. Very glad the top comments on youtube told me to ignore it and enjoy the film for what it is, because I greatly enjoyed it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Confidence, flair, flamboyance is so important in the presentation of anything comedic, even if the act or the piece of art is understated or minimalist. It's even more important when the idea is quite a singular vision.

There's something about observing art executed with that level of poise that is magnetic. You will it to succeed, and it responds. It feels like that, at least.

That's why members of a site like ours, let alone anywhere else, should demand excellence as we've experienced it. We have a profound understanding of what that involves. A tough crowd but the right crowd.

None of what I've seen of this film leads me to believe that level is going to be attained but nevertheless it is Morris, and plenty of people have said average stuff before about comedy films I've loved (more recently Death of Stalin). I remain very keen to see it.

EBGB

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 16, 2019, 10:19:01 PM
... plenty of people have said average stuff before about comedy films I've loved (more recently Death of Stalin).
Really?  Maybe I just didn't read many reviews because I knew I wanted to see it anyway - with that cast I was always going to be enthused in advance.  I thought it was great.  What were people's issues with it?

Casting's actually my main concern with TDSC.  I have a certain intolerance of Anna Kendrick.  In that she normally makes me not want to watch anything she's in.

zomgmouse

To be fair all the average reviews of this made me severely lower my expectations and I ended up thinking it was GREAT.

13 schoolyards

It's a very entertaining and funny film, but it's also fair enough to expect better from someone with Morris' track record, especially when at his current rate of output we'll probably only see another one or two projects from him.

muddybug

EBGB

That's definitely an improvement.  A pity to have wasted a lot of interest on the first one - the number of views is tiny by comparison.

Bence Fekete

As I rewatched 4 lions recently I thought 'this film would work so much better as a straight dark drama'. And I wish CM had branched off in that direction with his movies.  Or continued to plunder the surreal. These caper movies do feel somewhat beneath him but hey ho he basically won the right to retire long ago.

Noodle Lizard

All the weird Bible-bashing comments on each trailer are making me laugh.  Presumably they've been drawn there by the Biblical(ish) title.  Who's made it their hobby to do that?

EBGB

In the unlikely event that anyone's not signed up for alerts, there's this for advance screenings + Q&A. 

https://thedayshallcomefilm.co.uk/tickets/

muddybug

BlodwynPig

Hymenoptera

Quote from: muddybug on September 10, 2019, 02:29:07 AM

Thankee kindly - been scanning Broadway's website for a screening but hadn't checked recently. Booked my tix just now, am quite excited.

another Mr. Lizard

Quote from: Hymenoptera on September 10, 2019, 10:10:13 AM
Thankee kindly - been scanning Broadway's website for a screening but hadn't checked recently. Booked my tix just now, am quite excited.

Thanks for the heads-up on this - tried to book for Broadway yesterday and the site said the event was sold out, so I thought I'd missed out. Just tried again now and have booked!

Chris will be interviewed in Notts by Steven Sheil (director of the thinly-veiled Fred & Rose West movie MUM & DAD a decade ago)

Mobbd

Can someone repost that brilliant pic of Chris laughing it up with the cast while Danielle Brooks points her not-inconsiderable bootay at us?

Sure I've seen it in this thread before but can't find it now.

(Wanted for non-wanking reasons).

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Mobbd on September 13, 2019, 10:10:00 AM
Can someone repost that brilliant pic of Chris laughing it up with the cast while Danielle Brooks points her not-inconsiderable bootay at us?

Sure I've seen it in this thread before but can't find it now.

(Wanted for non-wanking reasons).

Mobbd

Ahahaha. Brilliant. Thank you.

I am wanking as I write this.

sponk

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on September 13, 2019, 10:13:22 AM

Fucking hell that's a nice jacket on the not Chris Morris guy in the back. Great pic too. Chris has such an infectious smile.

dfurnell

For those of you (like me) who didn't get to book a screening that Morris was attending, or are too tight-fisted to pay, E4 Slacker's Club are showing this for free for people who are, or who can pretend to be, a student. Details at https://www.facebook.com/SlackersClub/ Sorry about all the commas.

Thank-you.

Cold Meat Platter

Hey peeps, I'm going to the Edinburgh screening on Monday if anybody fancies meeting up.

JCR

Saw it in Edinburgh, liked it a lot. Very funny, well acted. The trailers don't really sell that the characters aren't usual Hollywood stereotypes at all. I don't really want to say anything else but if you are going to another date on the tour you will have a great time. 

EBGB

Quote from: JCR on September 17, 2019, 05:33:36 AM
Saw it in Edinburgh, liked it a lot.
Hurrah! 

How long did the Q&A last?