Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:40:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Day Shall Come

Started by AzureSky, December 16, 2018, 08:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

another Mr. Lizard

Good show in Nottingham tonight with Chris looking happy and relaxed. Great interview with Steven Sheil, and some better-than-usual contributions from the audience. Morris talked about negotiating with the FBI over their research assistance, visiting their offices, taking a guided tour, having a bit of a mind-game session with the person assigned to speak to him, and being given a list of 'ten ways in which movies and tv always misinterpret the Bureau' (which Chris perused and concluded was in fact 'ten things that the FBI most definitely do'). Some interesting stuff about an all-black audience's responses to the film too (can't go into detail without spoilers though).

EBGB

Quote from: another Mr. Lizard on September 19, 2019, 10:45:31 PM
Some interesting stuff about an all-black audience's responses to the film too (can't go into detail without spoilers though).
- but were those responses overall positive or negative?
- and what was your response to the film?

another Mr. Lizard

The audience (in Philadelphia, I think Morris said) were very positive about the movie.

The Nottingham crowd was too. I liked it a lot; at face value it merely plays like 'FOUR LIONS meets IN THE LOOP', but as Chris was very keen to mention, it has lots of layers and undercurrents - he particularly emphasised mental illness as being an important aspect to consider (not especially evident on a cursory viewing, but adding real texture if you know it is present as a theme). One of those movies that sticks in your mind and that you perhaps appreciate more several hours after you've seen it and have had time to mull it over.

Glebe

This is triply sad story... first of all, sticking the poster half behind a vending machine... secondly, that I bothered to take a photo and upload it... and thirdly, that I was going to the pictures (to see Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood, if you're wondering) on me own. AGAIN.

EBGB

Quote from: Glebe on September 21, 2019, 12:54:06 AM

This is triply sad story... first of all, sticking the poster half behind a vending machine... secondly, that I bothered to take a photo and upload it... and thirdly, that I was going to the pictures (to see Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood, if you're wondering) on me own. AGAIN.

1) At least you can see the relevant bits.
2) True.
3) Best way to go to the cinema, IMHO.  Especially if you get really lucky & the auditorium is more or less empty.

Was the QT any good?  Can't decide whether to bother or not.  Pitt is usually good value, I'm fairly neutral on QT (like his story telling, can't bear his obsession with violence), and LDC leaves me fairly cold.  Thoughts?

Glebe

Quote from: EBGB on September 21, 2019, 09:05:35 AM
1) At least you can see the relevant bits.
2) True.
3) Best way to go to the cinema, IMHO.  Especially if you get really lucky & the auditorium is more or less empty.

Was the QT any good?  Can't decide whether to bother or not.  Pitt is usually good value, I'm fairly neutral on QT (like his story telling, can't bear his obsession with violence), and LDC leaves me fairly cold.  Thoughts?

Mixed feelings about it.. gonna do my little write-up in the relevant thread!

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Lot more excited for this now yet still managing to avoid many details!

Quote from: Malcy on September 18, 2019, 11:50:14 AM

It was something like

"Can you tell us more about your fake grandad"?

Silence and a look of confusion on Chris' face followed by before he could really answer

"Or would that be a faux pas"?

Few groans from the audience and sighs.

Then he just kept saying it.

"Would that be a faux pas"?

"FAUX PAS"

"FAUX. PAS."

That's how I remember it but it was fucking painful.

Bloody hell...what's the point??

Almost as bad as a David Mitchell q+a my mate was at in Bath where a guy got up and apparently did a fucking appalling impression saying "if you don't mind I'm going to ask my question in your voice" to a puzzled/embarrassed Mitchell who didn't catch a word of it.

Small Man Big Horse

I didn't realise this was on Amazon Prime from today in the US, which means it's "available" now elsewhere too.

olliebean

It doesn't show up in a search on amazon.com, although I did notice it was "available."

Small Man Big Horse

This link seems to work for me - https://www.amazon.com/Day-Shall-Come-March%C3%A1nt-Davis/dp/B07Y8THC7J/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=The+Day+Shall+Come+%282019%29&qid=1569600361&s=instant-video&sr=1-1 - I'm really surprised it's VOD the same day as it's US cinema release, and hope it doesn't effect it's box office either here or in the US.

weekender

^ Thanks for the heads-up, I look forward to the UK release date of 11 October 2019 in cinemas.

olliebean

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 27, 2019, 05:06:21 PM
This link seems to work for me - https://www.amazon.com/Day-Shall-Come-March%C3%A1nt-Davis/dp/B07Y8THC7J/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=The+Day+Shall+Come+%282019%29&qid=1569600361&s=instant-video&sr=1-1 - I'm really surprised it's VOD the same day as it's US cinema release, and hope it doesn't effect it's box office either here or in the US.

It's also appeared in the search results now, but way down the page, after about 8 things that don't seem to have any business matching that search.

muddybug

Head Gardener

I noticed torrents leaked today

Shaky

Just watched this and honestly haven't a clue what to make of it. Marchant Davis is excellent in the main role, just not really sure what the rest of the film is trying to do or say.

Mister Six

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 27, 2019, 05:06:21 PM

I think it's a VERY limited release, possibly just to qualify for awards. The only place showing it in Manhattan is the IFC Center, and given that it's an IFC-produced film, that's pretty much a foregone conclusion. I know some Indies start off with limited screenings and increase as word of mouth picks up, but the Amazon thing would appear to preclude that.

Going to try to see it this weekend, if I can.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: Shaky on September 28, 2019, 02:10:00 PM
Just watched this and honestly haven't a clue what to make of it. Marchant Davis is excellent in the main role, just not really sure what the rest of the film is trying to do or say.

I reluctantly agree with you. Wanted to like it, but the comedy is so very sweaty.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: rasta-spouse on September 28, 2019, 04:50:28 PM
I reluctantly agree with you. Wanted to like it, but the comedy is so very sweaty.

What does that mean?

weekender

Just finished watching this, and am still not sure if there was a point.

Black people have been treated badly over time; I sort of know that already.

rasta-spouse

QuoteWhat does that mean?

It's a term I heard Russell Brand use, who in turn was quoting Larry David.

Can't remember his exact definition but something akin to "laid on so forcefully that it is repellent to the observer" or "trying so hard that it has the inverse effect of what it wants to achieve".

Nice entry to the comedy lexicon, I think. 

But here the comedy isn't just sweaty, it's paradoxically muted by the directorial void Morris creates.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: rasta-spouse on September 28, 2019, 05:39:53 PM
It's a term I heard Russell Brand use, who in turn was quoting Larry David.

Can't remember his exact definition but something akin to "laid on so forcefully that it is repellent to the observer" or "trying so hard that it has the inverse effect of what it wants to achieve".

Nice entry to the comedy lexicon, I think. 

But here the comedy isn't just sweaty, it's paradoxically muted by the directorial void Morris creates.

I see. Ta. So you found the comedy both laboured and muted? That doesn't sound promising at all.

Mister Six

Could this be the result of Americans struggling to deliver that distinct Morris tone?

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I was at the Manchester Q&A.

My feeling was that the FBI scenes really struggled - it was clearly aiming for a frantic, densely layered Veep/Thick of It tone, but kept missing the target.

The characters centred around The Farm have the pathos of their situation and a strong central performance from Marchant Davies, who manages to be both commanding and vulnerable, whereas there weren't really any strong characters/standout performances within the Bureau.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on September 28, 2019, 06:44:22 PM
I was at the Manchester Q&A.

My feeling was that the FBI scenes really struggled - it was clearly aiming for a frantic, densely layered Veep/Thick of It tone, but kept missing the target.

The characters centred around The Farm have the pathos of their situation and a strong central performance from Marchant Davies, who manages to be both commanding and vulnerable, whereas there weren't really any strong characters/standout performances within the Bureau.

That's how I felt. It's good, but it's only good. Perhaps it's partially due to expectations, if this had been directed by Ron Howard I'd probably be praising it more, but this is Morris we're talking about, and his first new project in nine years, and it's nowhere near as good as his previous work. It's certainly a film I liked, which made me laugh a fair amount and which has a powerful ending, but it feels very much like a Hollywood version of Morris, with all of the edges taken off.

EBGB

I'm not yet sure where I stand.  I think it's either good or great (and that's allowing for a long term dislike of Anna Kendrick).  Sitting at the front in Brixton for the preview, I was watching too close & at an angle, which never lets me really "get" a film, and I'll go to see it again once it's on general release.  It certainly feels somewhat more conventional as a piece than 'Four Lions', but that may be a good thing in terms of audience appeal.  I know I had to watch 'Four Lions' a couple of times before I really appreciated its depth, so I'm hoping this will benefit from a similar approach.  But then, I still think 'Nathan Barley' is superbly watchable, so what do I know?

Minor point: first time I can remember thinking that a film is too short.  I'm all in favour of briskly delivered numbers, and have issues when a film creeps over 100 mins or so, but this was a rare instance of getting through itself too efficiently.

Marchant Davis is fucking brilliant, though.  That much is blindingly clear.  AND he was great in the Q&A, so I'll be staggered if he doesn't have a major career ahead of him.

NJ Uncut

Oh wow, it's out digitally... in the states it seems.

We wait til October?

I'll report when I have seen it