Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:59:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Day Shall Come

Started by AzureSky, December 16, 2018, 08:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VelourSpirit

https://schedule.sxsw.com/2019/films/2008763
Didn't notice it had its own page, with the first image from the film on there

Thomas

Interesting to note there that Morris has reconvened with musician Jonathan Whitehead for the soundtrack - he composed for The Day Today, Brass Eye, and Nathan Barley (and, I didn't know until just now, provided Jeremy's music for Peep Show).

Mister Six

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Thomas on January 20, 2019, 08:01:55 PM
(and, I didn't know until just now, provided Jeremy's music for Peep Show).

That's outrageous.

Shaky

Quote from: imitationleather on January 17, 2019, 04:17:16 PM
What do people think of Four Lions now? I think I've only actually seen it all the way through twice, which considering how much I've watched Morris's other stuff says it all. The first time was a preview at the BFI when I was pissed up and very excited and it seemed glorious. The second time was after release and I was a lot calmer and it felt very, very patchy. Even verging on quite boring at points. Aside from the subject matter sounding pretty outlandish there wasn't much in there that suggested it was a Morris project at all and it barely gets talked about at all now.

I concur that it didn't really feel very Morris-like for the most part, but after initially being disappointed that the film wasn't a laugh a minute I've grown to really like it for what it is. l think the last act in particular, with the witless would-be terrorists making a very believable hash of their vague plans, is very well judged, paced and acted. Certainly, the project shows Morris with a far better grasp of direction etc than Nathan Barley ever did.

St_Eddie

momatt

Quote from: Thomas on January 20, 2019, 08:01:55 PM
Interesting to note there that Morris has reconvened with musician Jonathan Whitehead for the soundtrack - he composed for The Day Today, Brass Eye, and Nathan Barley (and, I didn't know until just now, provided Jeremy's music for Peep Show).

There was a period where he seemed to do almost all the music for Channel Four comedies.
Green Wing
Fist of Fun (ok, BBC)
Smack the Pony
Black Books
Rev. series 1&2

Mister Six

Given the title, is this a prequel to The Day Today?

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Mister Six on February 04, 2019, 05:31:39 AM
Given the title, is this a prequel to The Day Today?

I had actually wondered if it's a Day Today movie (like a feature-length mockumentary satirizing a single topic, presented by the Christopher Morris character) that just doesn't involve the rest of the original cast, but I guess that's a bit of a far-fetched idea and it would only appeal to a really small audience.  I'd still love to see it though.

McFlymo

I found Four Lions pretty disappointing, so I'm not sure what to make of this. I'll try to not get myself too excited, as it might be months before I get to see it anyway, but it's certainly great to have something new from him!

Also, the idea of it being based on 100 true stories appeals to me: I like the idea that there might be a lot of highlights from stories squashed down into a film, maybe working them into 4 or 5 plots / characters etc. That could be fun!

Clownbaby

I'm obviously gking to see the film but I could take or leave Four Lions myself. I was slightly disappointed when I saw that this film might be in a similar vein to Four Lions in all honesty. Still looking forward to seeing some new stuff from the boi though

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Clownbaby on February 14, 2019, 12:53:48 PM
I'm obviously gking to see the film but I could take or leave Four Lions myself. I was slightly disappointed when I saw that this film might be in a similar vein to Four Lions in all honesty. Still looking forward to seeing some new stuff from the boi though

Yup, it's strange. Like watching the last Twin Peaks and recognising its brilliant but being swamped by opinion and conjecture, diminished the whole thing. Same here. Odd.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

C'mon, Four Lions is very funny. Best watched as an individual film outside of the usual Morris career timeline stuff.

Clownbaby

I didn't say I thought it was completely unfunny,  I still like it but it's not favourite for me

Thomas

With the premiere coming so soon, I was rather hoping ol' Morris might briefly emerge from Mystery to pop up in a few podcasts - or even TV spots - as he did last time.

He spent most of 2009 repeating himself about Terrorists Doing the Stupidest Things, but one particular interview becomes a more wide-ranging chat. It's really good. I'll try and find it tomorrow.

Old Nehamkin

fucking ponderous

I think I would pay money to hear Chris Morris on Cum Town

chveik

Quote from: fucking ponderous on March 05, 2019, 05:20:21 PM
I think I would pay money to hear Chris Morris on Cum Town

yeah I bet you would you dirty old bollocks

imitationleather

Quote from: chveik on March 05, 2019, 06:25:38 PM
yeah I bet you would you dirty old bollocks

This quote is firmly lodged under "Jokes which are hilarious but I have to remind myself not to reference in the real world because no one would have a clue what I was on about".

Thomas

Thanks, Dineen - nice to get a bit more information.

I think this is the 2009 interview I was talking about, which occasionally spins off from terrorism chat and becomes more interesting. Same with this one.

VelourSpirit

I completely forgot it was actually screening tomorrow! Love the bit in Davis' interview about painting Jesus figures black. Really hoping for some Morris podcast appearances.

muddybug

BlodwynPig

muddybug

Well, this should be interesting...

fucking ponderous

Anyone who says things like "I can't even" is not to be trusted

BlodwynPig

MORRIS HAS JUMPED THE SHARK

BlodwynPig

Clownbaby

Twitter never plays videos for me properly damn it

I'm gonna be one of thkse abnboying people and go "what happens in the video i cant see it"

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Clownbaby on March 12, 2019, 11:46:48 AM
Twitter never plays videos for me properly damn it

I'm gonna be one of thkse abnboying people and go "what happens in the video i cant see it"

Speak to Tim Key.