Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:55:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Day Shall Come

Started by AzureSky, December 16, 2018, 08:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

Pingers

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 15, 2019, 12:53:43 PM
C'mon, Four Lions is very funny. Best watched as an individual film outside of the usual Morris career timeline stuff.

Yeah it is funny. It might not have been laugh a minute, but there were some great jokes in there. "I used my IRA voice", "Should have gone to Chicken Cottage, fools!"

The best thing about films like Four Lions though is that you can read about four would-be terrorists being nicked en route to their target because they had no car insurance and think "Jewish parts!", and thus the shitness of life is diminished, which is about as much as one can reasonably ask for.

BlodwynPig

Head Gardener

Quotepoor form

sorry didn't see it, I'm old

Thomas

Be mindful of spoilers, and skip to 4:07 to hear Chris Morris say 'top bants'.

The Day Shall Come SXSW World Premiere Q&A

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Thomas on March 12, 2019, 05:03:53 PM
Be mindful of spoilers, and skip to 4:07 to hear Chris Morris say 'top bants'.

The Day Shall Come SXSW World Premiere Q&A

fo' shizzle?

paddy72

The early reviews seem to confirm the nagging feeling I've had around this - that it will be good, but not Morris-in-excelsis good.

I'm looking forward to seeing it, though I still live in hope that he'll someday return to radio.

Noodle Lizard

My friend just saw it at SXSW (I turned him onto Brass Eye and Blue Jam etc.)  He said it was "ok".  He liked Four Lions well enough.

muddybug

Some of these comments about the film are just... baffling

Shoulders?-Stomach!

the

Twitter comments are not reviews. ... Twitter comments aren't anything.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: the on March 13, 2019, 12:09:01 PM
Twitter comments are not reviews. ... Twitter comments aren't anything.

Sound very pleased with themselves for hating it

Blinder Data

If it's in a similar low-key style to Four Lions, I can imagine it having a mixed reception.

BlodwynPig

Personally i dont think this format or America suits Morris. He of course can disagree. Iannucci and Veep worked though, so let's see how this looks and feels.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I love the ominous and yet commanding title of the film.

Downhill from here

muddybug

BlodwynPig

Thomas

Sounds like there was a lot of interesting research done for the film, hanging around at FBI stations, and chatting with agents, informants, and the victims of stings.

Hopefully Morris lives to 150 so he can continue to thoroughly research things whilst also generating plenty of stuff.

Quote'There are always things sitting like old marmalade on the back burner, and you have a look at those and see how they're going and sometimes they've developed a wonderful bloom of penicillin. That's probably not accurate. You probably can't grow penicillin on marmalade.'

Hymenoptera

The Q&A video was great. Really looking forward to seeing this, as someone who thoroughly enjoyed Four Lions.

This comment underneath the video made me laugh out loud for some reason:

"My heart is broken that Anna has a boyfriend (Ben Richardson is a very, very lucky guy and I hope Anna is very happy, she deserves to be) however Chris Morris just gave the biggest public Faux Pas I have ever seen for a public screening."

I don't know if its the strange politeness, the pining for Anna Kendrick... probably both. The biggest faux pas I have ever seen. Like he called the cast talentless hacks and then farted into the mic.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

VelourSpirit

Quote from: Hymenoptera on March 15, 2019, 10:18:06 PM
"Chris Morris just gave the biggest public Faux Pas I have ever seen for a public screening."

What was he referring to? The film itself?

muddybug

LA Times with Chris
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-sxsw-chris-morris-the-day-shall-come-20190316-story.html

QuoteAnd I think a certain class of people who were involved in producing a certain angle of satirical work, actually we're relying on very stable ground that wouldn't change. Of course, things do change and we're living through a period of change. So you suddenly have to start thinking. And I think someone who was 25 hearing that question would just laugh contemptuously at the confused old folk stuck in the mud. So I think that what's happened is that a generation of people in middle age have found that the precepts have changed, therefore no comedy is ever possible anymore. But I kind of think the sky isn't falling on comedy yet.

Hymenoptera

Quote from: TwinPeaks on March 16, 2019, 01:03:13 AM
What was he referring to? The film itself?

I think he was on about Morris mentioning Kendrick's boyfriend. That was what I took it to mean anyway.

Thomas

Cheers, muddybug.

QuoteHow do you feel about the current political moment in regard to satire? Both in the United States and the United Kingdom, where reality often seems absurd, do you have to make the ridiculous even more ridiculous to make comedy out of it?

And I think a certain class of people who were involved in producing a certain angle of satirical work, actually were relying on very stable ground that wouldn't change. Of course, things do change and we're living through a period of change. So you suddenly have to start thinking. And I think someone who was 25 hearing that question would just laugh contemptuously at the confused old folk stuck in the mud. So I think that what's happened is that a generation of people in middle age have found that the precepts have changed, therefore no comedy is ever possible anymore. But I kind of think the sky isn't falling on comedy yet.

Morris is so relatively 'private' (i.e. not constantly tweeting, self-promoting, or giving pointless interviews) that, when questioned about that sort of issue, it's great (even relieving?) to read such a considered response. In answer to the other thread: no, not old-fashioned.

I believe he did once describe shows like HIGNFY as 'toothless', part of that cosy establishment order poking only gentle fun at itself, whilst also assisting the status quo; I guess that's the 'certain class' he's referring to. 

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Hymenoptera on March 16, 2019, 01:55:16 PM
I think he was on about Morris mentioning Kendrick's boyfriend. That was what I took it to mean anyway.

Context?

Barry Admin

Quote from: Thomas on March 16, 2019, 01:58:19 PM
Cheers, muddybug.

Morris is so relatively 'private' (i.e. not constantly tweeting, self-promoting, or giving pointless interviews) that, when questioned about that sort of issue, it's great (even relieving?) to read such a considered response. In answer to the other thread: no, not old-fashioned.

I believe he did once describe shows like HIGNFY as 'toothless', part of that cosy establishment order poking only gentle fun at itself, whilst also assisting the status quo; I guess that's the 'certain class' he's referring to. 

I'm sure it's a coincidence, particularly considering the focus on satire, but it made me think of the recent change to Linehan's twitter bio:

Quote from: GlinnerComedy is impossible in a world where 2+2=5

Shoulders?-Stomach!