Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:37:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Day Shall Come

Started by AzureSky, December 16, 2018, 08:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

And also Film Inquiry - whoever they are.

Some are saying it's good, and some are saying it's bad. It's so hard to decide!

Captain Z

This doesn't look good for Morris.

BlodwynPig

Shoulders?-Stomach!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 17, 2019, 06:37:55 PM
The Days Are Gone

I saw your avatar and KNEW you'd posted that.

RETIRE FORUM.

Gervais'd and Ranganathan'd.

Bryan Cocks

Oh dear, this looks a bit shit.

BlodwynPig

alan nagsworth

Maybe he's looking at a bit of shit and posted his observation in the wrong thread. Hey, Bryan Cocks! The "are you looking at a bit of shit?" thread is that-a-way, man!

Mister Six

BlodwynPig

Shoulders?-Stomach!

So fantastic seeing Morris performing, even in this context.

momatt

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 20, 2019, 06:42:32 PM
So fantastic seeing Morris performing, even in this context.

Fantastic seeing him doing anything at all!

muddybug

This review and the comments below (up to 62 already, lmao) is a shitshow, but entertaining nonetheless.

http://www.pajiba.com/film_reviews/review-the-day-shall-come-is-a-disaster-of-a-film-that-never-shouldve-been-made.php

CM puts years of diligent research into a project, and yet every person that's given this movie a negative review suggests Chris threw in "racist" and "sexist" jokes for the hell of it?

Yea, sure. Totally makes sense.

Clownbaby

I've stopped bothering with trying to glean understanding of films I haven't seen through reviews cause it has zero affect on how much or little I personally enjoy it. The mixed reviews for this though are making me more interested in it than I was before. Sounds like it could go either way for me.

sponk

That's a disaster of a suit that should've never been made. I've never noticed how big Chris's hands are before. Fucking hell.

samadriel

QuoteChris Morris' suit was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

muddybug

BlodwynPig

Chriddof

Ah, hell. I get what people say here about not trusting reviews, but these latest ones (along with the "most polarising President to African Americans" anecdote in that interview) does strongly suggest he's fucked it up. We will see...

the

Quote from: Chriddof on April 06, 2019, 07:15:23 AMAh, hell. I get what people say here about not trusting reviews, but these latest ones (along with the "most polarising President to African Americans" anecdote in that interview) does strongly suggest he's fucked it up. We will see...

Broadly speaking, what is being suggested that's gone wrong? Tone, political position, just not funny...?

(I'm trying to read as little as I can about the film as I don't want the plot spoiled.)

BlodwynPig

I suspect that the world has moved on, even from the type of humour contained in Four Lions. By the snippets, this film appears to be of the same mould as Four Lions. Morris is no longer relevant in the whacked out society we have today - YET, YET - that is exactly why he is needed (if only he could deliver something as cutting and sharp as his early guerrilla forays).

the

That's your conjecture, I was asking what people who've written reviews about it are generally saying is wrong with it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: the on April 06, 2019, 04:27:21 PM
That's your conjecture, I was asking what people who've written reviews about it are generally saying is wrong with it.

Am I not more worthy than these second rate, purple prosaic, gutter crawling hacks?

Bronzy

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 07, 2019, 02:35:50 AM
Am I not more worthy than these second rate, purple prosaic, gutter crawling hacks?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: the on April 06, 2019, 04:27:21 PM

The plot, i believe. And lack of american big film jokes

McChesney Duntz

It also bears remembering that many of Morris' finest works were also dissed and dismissed by contemporaneous hacks and flacks. I remain cautiously optimistic, though I've noticed that political satire, however much of it is out there at the moment, doesn't tend to play very well in our present climate(s) - tough to find the sweet spot in the best of times, which these most definitely are not - and it's not hard to imagine even a master satirist like Our Chris missing the mark in this particular hellscape. Hope not - he's been missed. (Am I missing something, or has the only new CM we've gotten this decade been his interrogations of Stewart Lee on Comedy Vehicle and some highly competent but rather anonymous directing jobs for Iannucci on Veep?)

dex

Anyone have any idea of what the UK release date is? Tried some cursory Googling but no one seems to know.

VelourSpirit

i forgot we still haven't even seen it yet
hopefully the critics just don't get it man

Shaky

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on April 08, 2019, 12:21:11 AM
(Am I missing something, or has the only new CM we've gotten this decade been his interrogations of Stewart Lee on Comedy Vehicle and some highly competent but rather anonymous directing jobs for Iannucci on Veep?)

There's also the unreleased radio project with Ayoade and Fielding which he's been working on for years, though we haven't heard a jot of that.