Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:56:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What happened to Adam Buxton and Graham Linehan's sci-fi sitcom 'The Cloud'?

Started by What Doth Life?, December 17, 2018, 12:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: bgmnts on December 17, 2018, 09:03:54 AM
Yeah basically Twitter happened.

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on December 17, 2018, 01:02:59 PM
Is Linehan actually working on any comedy now or is it really just Twitter all day every day? How is that sustainable? He's off the second series of Motherland I see. Really it's very selfless of him to devote himself to the cause of women's rights full time. All power to him.

Yeah I imagine if Twitter was around 20-30 years ago Father Ted wouldn't exist and Linehan would be some nobody who once had a good idea for a sitcom ranting at no one. What are we losing now because writers, established or new or otherwise, are too busy getting involved in Twitter storms or other online bullshit to actually sit down and do some work?

Ham Bap

I'm at the point where I'm fascinated that he can be bothered to keep going on what he goes on about. And that people who think he's a crackpot keep going on about what Linehan goes on about.
Just need people to watch me watching it all and the circle will be complete.

I need to stream myself watching it all, then someone streams themselves watching me, then someone records a reaction video of it all.

Thursday

Quote from: Cuellar on December 17, 2018, 09:48:18 PM
Despite the ravings and insane behaviour (trying to cut funding to that charity), part of me still wants to believe he's acting in good faith (residual respect for him because of Father Ted), so I keep trying to read around and see where he's getting his info from but christ alive, where do you start?!

That point's long gone now for me now, but his obsession is unhinged. I know there's probably other comedy heroes who have views I might not like so much or find disappointing, there's certain people I've got that sense from... but at least they aren't actively oppressing people so you can at least just take the good with the bad. I'm not even following him or anything, but he's being so outrageous that he's doing things people can't really ignore. It's not enough for him to be "cancelled forever" he needs to be shot into the sun. That's the only sensible solution here.

He's reminding me of former CaB poster thepuffpastryhangman.

colacentral

He's undoubtedly a massive wanker but I have to think that at least part of it is him just being stubborn and refusing to back down or apologise. He's dug a Twitter hole and got a Downfall thing going on there.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: ajsmith2 on December 17, 2018, 09:32:06 AM
His current twitter banner is a picture of Owen Jones and Alistair Campbell from the time Jones interviewed Campbell. I presume it's not meant as an endorsement of either of them (Linehans previous banners have included the Bullingdon club and a bald Trump) but the exact comment he intends by using the picture escapes me. Seems a bit oblique. Anyone know anything about that?

The only thing I can think of is a rather poor Viz's Up the Arse Corner?

thugler

I imagine Buxton doesn't want to wade in to this. Trans stuff briefly came up in the recent nish Kumar and i really wanted him to mention linehan though.. It didn't appear that Buxton had the same views anyhow.

Enzo

I remember that Adam once told a story on the A&J 6Music pod about a friend who came to visit his house. The friend angrily pilloried his own wife about liking the TV show Jonathan Creek in front of Adam and his mrs, creating an awkward atmosphere.

I would put money on that friend being Graham Linehan.

Salty_fries

Quote from: Enzo on December 18, 2018, 08:55:32 PM
I remember that Adam once told a story on the A&J 6Music pod about a friend who came to visit his house. The friend angrily pilloried his own wife about liking the TV show Jonathan Creek in front of Adam and his mrs, creating an awkward atmosphere.

I would put money on that friend being Graham Linehan.

Now that you mention it, I'm almost certain that was Glinner.

Z

His assistant has been retweeting pretty heavily on his twitter since his break started. See Robert Webb has decided to join this argument too, which seems like a bizarre career move at the very least considering his book from last year.

Jockice

His 'assistant.' Who only seems to work during normal non-working hours.

Cuellar

From what I can glean, it isn't that surprising from Webb. He seems to see Mermaids as pushing a "if you're a boy and like girly things you must be trans and actually a girl" line, which relies on highly questionable gender stereotypes. Whether this is actually what Mermaids does or not I don't know; there was an article in the Times claiming that it is, which is what he was responding to.

And if that is what they're saying I can see his point. It seems to be a regressive essentialist view of gender that goes against a certain brand of feminism that was influential when Webb was a student and was exposed to it all (and was even pretty current when I was a student 10 years ago: Judith Butler etc).

However, I'm taking the Times article with a pinch of salt as it didn't seem very nuanced.

Woops gender thread! Sorry.

Thursday

Quote from: Cuellar on December 23, 2018, 11:52:56 AM
From what I can glean, it isn't that surprising from Webb. He seems to see Mermaids as pushing a "if you're a boy and like girly things you must be trans and actually a girl" line, which relies on highly questionable gender stereotypes. Whether this is actually what Mermaids does or not I don't know; there was an article in the Times claiming that it is, which is what he was responding to.

And if that is what they're saying I can see his point. It seems to be a regressive essentialist view of gender that goes against a certain brand of feminism that was influential when Webb was a student and was exposed to it all (and was even pretty current when I was a student 10 years ago: Judith Butler etc).

However, I'm taking the Times article with a pinch of salt as it didn't seem very nuanced.

Woops gender thread! Sorry.

The majority of responses to Webb on this seem to be from people who've actually spoken to them saying "No that's not what they're doing, at all"  and things to the effect of  "They helped me understand myself and saved my life"

He's ignoring them though because he's a cunt.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Cuellar on December 23, 2018, 11:52:56 AM
From what I can glean, it isn't that surprising from Webb. He seems to see Mermaids as pushing a "if you're a boy and like girly things you must be trans and actually a girl" line, which relies on highly questionable gender stereotypes.

Somewhat relevant.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on December 18, 2018, 12:05:20 AM
he has the brain disease called 'Being Too Online'

Seriously. Just checked his feed and it's properly maniacal. After posting that wide-eyed video saying he was going on a two week break for Christmas, he spent a day on Mumsnet, before resuming ceaseless daily trans shit on Twitter. He needs a friend to take his phone off him and unplug the router for a week or two.

Twed

I am really not doing well but Graham writing "Graham says" pretending to be his own assistant to tell somebody off for having and opinon but only 14 Twitter followers has cheered me up no end.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twed on December 24, 2018, 09:36:13 PM
I am really not doing well but Graham writing "Graham says" pretending to be his own assistant to tell somebody off for having and opinon but only 14 Twitter followers has cheered me up no end.

Holy moly, that's proper crazy.  What a prize plum he is.  He's only fooling himself.

imitationleather

He's crossing over from just being a horrible cunt into appearing like he may actually be a bit unwell.

Twed

Yeah. Selfish of me, but it makes it easier to watch his good, earlier works because I just think "he hadn't gone horrible yet".

Icehaven

Countdown to the 'assistant' saying something full-on criminally chargeable, possibly in the wee hours, and getting 'fired'.

gotmilk

Graham has been implying the assistant thing is a joke. Whether this was initially the case or just his response to people seeing through his bullshit is up for debate however.

https://twitter.com/Glinner/status/1076867964241170432

Depressed Beyond Tables

He seems to be trying to protect the vulnerable.

Quote'It's not trans people who are the problem, it's malicious men who are using the trans issue to divide women and trans people'.

You have to ask yourself how many injustices are you prepared to defend for a cause. If Glinner points to a case where a man switched genders in order to access and abuse women with impunity, I think we can all agree that that is wrong.

Where a large portion of people seem to get derailed is with arguing whether this is a fair representation of a community or not. That's beside the point. Police brutality might not represent the majority of cases, yet we like and share videos to highlight the cause.

For example, If 99% of priests are altruistic and benign people that does not excuse the actions of the 1% who have abused kids. We need to protect the vulnerable and that appears to be what Glinner is saying here. The system is not perfect yet, clearly.

He may be doing it in a hamfisted way at times (I don't follow him) but I see his concern. Plus the ramifications for women's sports is a perfect example of how complex this issue is.

Twed

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on December 25, 2018, 07:10:52 PM

You have to ask yourself how many injustices are you prepared to defend for a cause. If Glinner points to a case where a man switched genders in order to access and abuse women with impunity, I think we can all agree that that is wrong.

Where a large portion of people seem to get derailed is with arguing whether this is a fair representation of a community or not. That's beside the point. Police brutality might not represent the majority of cases, yet we like and share videos to highlight the cause.

For example, If 99% of priests are altruistic and benign people that does not excuse the actions of the 1% who have abused kids. We need to protect the vulnerable and that appears to be what Glinner is saying here. The system is not perfect yet, clearly.

He may be doing it in a hamfisted way at times (I don't follow him) but I see his concern. Plus the ramifications for women's sports is a perfect example of how complex this issue is.
If you obsess over fringe things like this and dehumanize trans people along the way (as well as speaking for women like a huge fucking chauvanist) then you are simply a bigot. You wouldn't give any credit to somebody who spent tireless hours denigrating black people because a black person committed a break and entry once would you?

canadagoose

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on December 25, 2018, 07:10:52 PM

Either you're naïve about his history, or you have an agenda beyond... what is it you're implying? Could you spell it out for us? I'm fed up of hearing about "serious concerns" without any clear idea about what the person complaining actually wants in the end.

It should be noted as well that Linehan is in the habit of deliberately misgendering people because he thinks that the very concept of 'trans-ness' is illegitimate. It is an act of malice to do that deliberately, and these 'concerns' are just a smokescreen for bigotry. He's not worried about Mermaids brainwashing kids, he's worried about anybody of any age becoming trans, because he doesn't believe in it. He's a cunt and a bigot, and if indeed there are conversations to be had around this topic, then he should be kept as far away from them as possible because he's not operating in good faith. I'm surprised that anybody would want someone like him on their side, because he's just an openly bigoted bully who gets a thrill from screaming at people on twitter.

Also, you'd think that you fuckers could give this shit a rest on Christmas day, but apparently not. The 'gender crit' ghouls never rest, because spreading malice and harm is the point. It's what makes them feel alive, making them the very SJWs they claim to oppose. Merry Christmas and get fucked. How many more valuable people have to flee this site before you start to feel bad?

Funcrusher

I've said it before but I think in Linehan's mind this doesn't come from bigotry. I think it comes from what he sees as defending women. But there's a lot of unpleasant assumptions within that. First of all that it's that women need defending and they're unable to do it themselves, that it takes a man - specifically him. When women support him on his trans crusade he retweets. When they don't support him they're ignored or he initiates a pile on. It's 'nice guy' behaviour. Wants to be seen as supporting women but doesn't actually listen to them and turns on them. The second assumption is that the only valid feminism is one he agrees with. So you get things like the Dolly Parton tweet, which dismissed women as being feminists if they liked Dolly Parton because Dolly has had plastic surgery. Or his angry dismissal of the let toys be toys campaign. At its heart that whole campaign was about delivering more positive messages to kids about its ok if a boy plays with a traditional girl's toy and vice versa - to him it was a waste of time and it sparked a rant. In the fallout over the Cariad Lloyd stuff one of his tweets was an appeal to another man to think of our wives  and daughters. Not think about what women want - women were diminished and defined just in the terms of how they related to men. I don't know if his anti trans stuff started as bigotry towards trans women specifically or if it was more about his image of what women should be being threatened, but he does have a history of dodgy opinions. Either way, it's definite bigotry now and it's been suggested that he's coming across as unwell, just an inability to walk away from something that I recognise all too well from my own mental health episodes. There has to be people in his life talking to him about this trying to get him stop, and by the time the police were getting involved I think most people would just step away.

Mobius

Why does he give so much of a shit about all this?

He should set up a comedy benefit gig to support whatever he's supporting here