Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:48:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Step Into Christmas and other wanky Xmas tracks.

Started by bgmnts, December 17, 2018, 02:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Give me your most loathed Christmas hit. It doesnt count if you hate them because they're overplayed, otherwise everyone woulf say Mariah Carey, Wham or The Pogues.

Go!

Jockice

It's The Pogues. I'm sorry but I was a big fan of them and loved this single when it first came out. Then I started hearing it everywhere every festive season as well as people (usually very boring ones) going on about it being the best Christmas single ever and now I find it unbearable. On one occasion last year it came on my car radio so I switched channels - and it was on the other one as well.

Stop The Cavalry gets on my tits too.  You'd have thought Jona Lewie would have discovered weapons of mass destruction by now.

I quite like the Mariah and Wham songs. But Wizzard's I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day pisses all over the opposition. And that includes Slade.

Cuellar

Just about all of them really. The only good Christmas song is Christmas Wrapping anyway.

Jockice

Quote from: Cuellar on December 17, 2018, 02:28:30 PM
Just about all of them really. The only good Christmas song is Christmas Wrapping anyway.

A song that most people now think was an enormous hit on release. but actually didn't even make the top 40.

It's good, but it's not right.

This is actually the best Christmas song, though you never hear it on the radio.

SteveDave

I DJ'd on Friday night and had about 3 requests for "Fairytale Of New York" before I got out my "NO TORY MUSIC" sign and just pointed to it whenever anyone came over asking for anything.

DrGreggles

I don't like the Mariah Carey one.
The bit where it turns into a Phil Spector rip-off is just about bearable, but her doing her caterwauling cunt bollocks at the beginning is fucking rotten.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

The Wedding Present's version of "Step Into Christmas" is quite good.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 17, 2018, 03:24:04 PM
The Wedding Present's version of "Step Into Christmas" is quite good.

This is true. Sounds like a one take job too.

Head Gardener

Norton Canes

Twed

Quote from: Jockice on December 17, 2018, 02:18:07 PM
You'd have thought Jona Lewie would have discovered weapons of mass destruction by now.
I thought the chronology was whacked out until I realized the song is about a game of Civ.

colacentral

What I hate more than the corny standard 80's Christmas song is the modern trend of doing a serious / moody / boring song and just tacking the word Christmas on to the lyrics. It's a blatant attempt to enter that pantheon of Christmas songs which you aren't embarrassed to admit you like, which Fairytale of New York inhabits, except without the humour or melody of that song. I don't know who does them because I hear them in shops and then try not to think about them, but they always sound like Coldplay clones.

lebowskibukowski

Quote from: colacentral on December 17, 2018, 04:46:46 PM
What I hate more than the corny standard 80's Christmas song is the modern trend of doing a serious / moody / boring song and just tacking the word Christmas on to the lyrics. It's a blatant attempt to enter that pantheon of Christmas songs which you aren't embarrassed to admit you like, which Fairytale of New York inhabits, except without the humour or melody of that song. I don't know who does them because I hear them in shops and then try not to think about them, but they always sound like Coldplay clones.

Much as I admittedly lke the song in question, I fear Roxette may have instigated this 'multipurpose ballad with stick-on Christmas bits' concept

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxjaqBpiy-8

Sebastian Cobb

It's spelt Christmas Rapping actually.

oooft

Quote from: Jockice on December 17, 2018, 02:18:07 PM
It's The Pogues. I'm sorry but I was a big fan of them and loved this single when it first came out. Then I started hearing it everywhere every festive season as well as people (usually very boring ones) going on about it being the best Christmas single ever and now I find it unbearable.

That's the only one I can actually put up - The worst has gotta be George Michael or Wham -

"Last Christmas you pumped my tart, but the very next day..." Jeez..

hummingofevil

If you dont love this version of Mariah your are a bit dead inside. https://youtu.be/sWEfszb9h8Q

Thank God it's Christmas by Queen isn't very good or popular but my office has been playing a Christmas radio station. As well as the expected Wham/Band Aid/Macca etc the station resorts to filler shite like that turkey by Queen.

bomb_dog

I think you'll all find that 'Die Hard' is actually a wanky Xmas track.

Lordofthefiles

McCartney

Whatever that squelchy spasmosynth-type-instrument thing is, can fuck the fucking fuck off.

colacentral

Quote from: colacentral on December 17, 2018, 04:46:46 PM

I heard another one of these today: sounded like that Mazzy Star song you always hear except it had the word 'Christmas' in it. Didn't even have a sleigh bell in it.

Twed

Not entirely relevant to the topic, but I was bowled over when I heard Cocteau Twins' version of Frosty the Snowman in the lobby of a Marriott in Washington DC this week. Must be on some "cheap to license" list.

Bennett Brauer

Another Rock 'n' Roll Christmas (Another Christmas Rock 'n' Roll). Reads like a rejected Bruce Forsyth catchphrase, sounds like a group of hard lads bellowing a carol outside your front door while kicking it.

Something not right about the singer either.

PaulTMA

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

buzby

Quote from: oooft on December 17, 2018, 07:18:32 PM
That's the only one I can actually put up - The worst has gotta be George Michael or Wham -

"Last Christmas you pumped my tart, but the very next day..." Jeez..
My manager when I worked at Kwik Save used to sing these alternate lyrics:
Last Christmas, I gave you my length,
Now the baby is due on September the tenth,
This year, to save me from tears,
I'm going to wear a condom.

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on December 18, 2018, 11:26:11 PM
McCartney

Whatever that squelchy spasmosynth-type-instrument thing is, can fuck the fucking fuck off.
It's a Yamaha CS80, and you are dead to me, Sir!

gmoney

I think Step into Christmas is ace! I hate 95% of Christmas songs.

Jerzy Bondov

Step Into Christmas gets on my tits because the lyrics don't scan. 'Eat drink and beemeh' indeed. I find it too busy. Like a Christmas tree with too much stuff hanging on it and it falls on your head.

Gone right off Fairytale of New York this year. Popping on the Christmas tunes for my 1 year old son and he's got to hear two people calling each other sluts and faggots.

Last Christmas - absolute Christmas banger. The one true best Christmas single, at least until everyone else starts to agree with me.

Slade's used to be the big one but I think it's fallen from grace a little bit in favour of Fairytale. Good thing too, as it's easier to appreciate its brilliance now. Definitive version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k4yjCo8JWs

Bruce Springsteen doing Santa Claus is Coming to Town comes up on Spotify playlists a lot. Not good. Way too much talking and I never liked that song anyway. Too American.

Cuellar

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on December 19, 2018, 11:46:45 AM
Step Into Christmas gets on my tits because the lyrics don't scan. 'Eat drink and beemeh' indeed. I find it too busy. Like a Christmas tree with too much stuff hanging on it and it falls on your head.

This is my favourite bit about Christmas Rapping - barely any attempt at rhythm, scansion, rhyme, anything. Just sounds like someone reading out a few paragraphs vaguely in time to music.

Also, "BAH HUMBUG - no, that's too strong because it is my favourite holiday" is a masterful opening. "Christmas is rubbish! No I actually love it" - what!?