Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:16:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ethical/ charity christmas presents.

Started by holyzombiejesus, December 17, 2018, 04:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Are there any decent ones out there? I have to get something for a woman at work and even though she's probably expecting prosecco or a mug shaped like a cock or something, I wanted to get something that wasn't tat. I read in the Guardian recently how you can donate 10 quid to an organisation that will buy a toy for a child in a refugee camp. Unfortunately, I can't find the company now and the ones that come up when I google look a bit shonky. I'm wary of some charities using most of the money on wages or admin costs so wanted to avoid these if at all possible. Any ideas?

Noonling

Give her something you found in a bin, that's the most ethical choice.

chocolate teapot

adopt an animal for a year gift? https://vivashop.org.uk/collections/gifts/category_adopt-a-farm-animal

this could be the website you were after, if not it has similar idea :) https://choose.love/

Buelligan

There used to be one where you could give a loved one so many minutes of webcam viewing whilst the chief executive of the charity of your choice had sex with a vulnerable individual or unpaid intern but they seem to have stopped it.

nedthemumbler

Get a charity donkey, hidden in the garden behind the shed until after Christmas lunch.  They will be delighted.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: chocolate teapot on December 17, 2018, 06:29:00 PM
adopt an animal for a year gift? https://vivashop.org.uk/collections/gifts/category_adopt-a-farm-animal

this could be the website you were after, if not it has similar idea :) https://choose.love/

Thanks so much. That's really useful. It's easy to sneer and give shitty unfunny responses, and I appreciate the issues with charity, but if there's a choice between buying a coat for a kid in a camp and not doing so, I know which is the better thing to do.

Buelligan

Sorry I wasn't sneering merely expanding on the thought.  I apologise, I obviously offended you, I didn't intend to.

holyzombiejesus

Don't worry, you're ok. I over-reacted. I just felt a bit sad looking at the stuff they sold and thinking about how shit it was that blah blah blah, and the juxtaposition with that and responses like 'give them a blowjob' pissed me off. Like I said, an over-reaction.

madhair60

Quote from: Buelligan on December 17, 2018, 06:38:53 PM
There used to be one where you could give a loved one so many minutes of webcam viewing whilst the chief executive of the charity of your choice had sex with a vulnerable individual or unpaid intern but they seem to have stopped it.

Give them ten minutes

Pijlstaart

I have lived experience of this. Myself, I don't like presents, it is just more stuff to lug around, so hate people getting me presents. Hate tat, hate toilet book, hate dvd of something already on 4oD. For a long time I thought those were the presents I hated most, and then Aunt gave me a piece of paper saying I'd sponsored a brick in truro cathedral and I wanted to deck her. Truro does not deserve a truro cathedral and truro cathedral does not deserve it's bricks. Wish that brick gets jenga'd out by the bailiffs and the whole thing collapses into ruin, like the rest of cornwall is. Check with my morality beforehand, sponsor a cause I care about, donate to a food bank or chick publications or, as previously mentioned, a blowjob. Don't sponsor a fucking macaque with a dull name in a zoo I've never been to. Even tat is better, chintz gollum doll please, commemorative disc of frozen arse meat, stylized kymograph of an erection.

mojo filters

Make a donation on her behalf to The Human Fund: Money for People.

madhair60

Them: Merry Christmas Stu, I got you, literally nothing

Me: wow thanks cuntface