Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:54:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What are your drinking 'go to' music acts?

Started by Nowhere Man, December 18, 2018, 12:35:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nowhere Man

If i'm near a pair of headphones when i'm on the sauce I can't resist a bit of Half Man Half Biscuit. But the list often includes the likes of Madness, The Fall, Kunt & The Gang, Slade, Hank Williams Sr. ect. Not to say I don't listen to them sober, but that drinking seem to be in the frame of mind to listen for them. Listening to a lot of Billy Joel puts me at risk of a HEART A-TACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK

Scott Walker works a treat for a hangover for some reason.

and no i'm not drunk right now, just bored

mojo filters

The more wasted I am, the more familiar material I tend to go with. However it also depends on the mood.

If I'm feeling overly maudlin, especially right now with a close family member dying a slow and painful death from cancer - I always tend to fallback on my favourite Sun Kil Moon albums.

If I want to cheer myself up, I inevitably choose something full of happy memories - usually AOS3, Citizen Fish / Culture Shock, Levellers, New Model Army, Belle & Sebastian and The Smiths, especially good quality live material from the latter two.

If inebriated and feeling blissful, I tend to prefer something familiar and epic. That can vary dramatically from Simon & Garfunkel, early '70s era Tull, Forever Changes, Pacific Ocean Blue, Quadrophenia, Tommy, Revolver, Abbey Road and the expanded version of Magical Mystery Tour, to Stone Roses, Mega City Four, Verve and Spiritualized - though despite having a vast collection of the latter, I tend to always pick from a couple of the best sounding live recordings, whereas when more spaced than drunk I tend to pick something less raucous, more nuanced and resplendent in the glorious production quality Jason Pierce is known for.

If I'm drunk with friends from the '90s, inevitably Oakenfold's original Goa Mix will get played at some point :-)

In terms of tending to listen to material I'm familiar with (even over exciting new material from the same artists) I notice I'm tending to do that a lot more these days - drunk, sober, or otherwise.

I'm not sure if it's just finally middle age hitting home? I still collect new and interesting music to add to my already huge collection, but notice I'm less and less often ever getting around to actually listening to it.

Do other folks who've been avid music fans their whole life, suddenly hit a point where you find all the music you need or want to listen to has already been made?

(Apologies if I've rambled off topic, but the question really got me thinking and realising something!)

A couple of drinking faves:

Elvis Costello - Imperial Bedroom
Badfinger - Wish You Were Here

If I'm absolutely steaming, it's Jerry Lee's Live at the Star Club.

Mostly these days when stoned and drunk it's The Byrds Live at the Fillmore or Shazam by The Move, painfully loud.

Pingers

Tom Waits - The Early Years
Anything by the Boulevard of Broken Dreams Orchestra

non capisco

I did go through a phase a few years ago of coming in from the pub and delighting in listening to 'We Like To Party' by The Vengaboys because I was half cut and found the bus horn noise in the intro hilarious.

'Atlantis' by Donovan is a good one because you can have a giggle at the naff Welsh wizard monologue at the start and then sway about to the never ending amazing chorus that makes up practically the rest of the song.

non capisco

Quote from: LynnBenfield69 on December 18, 2018, 09:17:47 PM
Oh yeah and Black Sea by XTC

That and 'Angel Dust' by Faith No More are probably the two albums that my neighbours have had to suffer the most of my post-pub wailing along to. You want to keep me away from 'Travels In Nihilon' when I'm in my cups.

hummingofevil

Well I've got pissed again despite being unemployed and skint and spending my last pennies on two bottles of cognac and Benedictine (yeah really... B&Bs are best thing).

In summary.

- https://youtu.be/fHraUBOWe9E
- https://youtu.be/6ctClN6Bp-o
- https://youtu.be/qV5lzRHrGeg
- https://youtu.be/1RgpvSZVcBw
- https://youtu.be/4gwiInUNf_s

On a loop.

hummingofevil

Blah. Yeah. Ingkgry agoy about Terry Vhirydtjbab French Disko on The Witd. Fucking mortal. Best cabs ever. You

hummingofevil

The actual answer to this question is whatever "camp" pop song one a loop forever that your sound system/neighbours will allow. Tonight it's Drama! by Erasure  that is the greatest song of all time (it's up there). Small town Boy? Superstar? I have to admit on balance it's Jimmy Or Karen! Or Beautiful World by Devo?

Classics? Rocket man? Or i don't wanna talk about it? So many...

hummingofevil

Shit. 'I've bought 2 tickets to Primavera for me and Rachael because Carly Rae and Stereolab are playing 350EUROS DOWN.

MidnightShambler

Lately, if I'm just pissed it's been The Human League, London Wainwright, Iggy Pop and The The, sometimes Primal Scream too. I'm in a pretty un-experimental phase at the moment I think.

But if I've had a line as well, my go-to album at the moment is Undercover by the Stones. Can't get enough of it for some reason, even though I was ambivalent at best towards it for years.  I was wrong, its fucking great.

Golden E. Pump

The Time and Cameo get a lot of spins when I'm getting ready to go out and drinking at home.

hummingofevil

CAB Primavera meet? Im unemployed any money going to run out very soon so need to find a way to drag my arse through the next 6 months. Machynlleth, 40th Bday, Primavera. Carly Rae Jepsen, Avalon Emerson and Stereolab in the sun. Fucking awesome.

fucking ponderous

The Fall and The Jesus Lizard are absolutely the best drinking bands. But thanks to this thread, and the fact that I'm a little drunk, I will listen to Black Sea on the way to get food right now. I think anything rowdy and obnoxious with loud choruses works personally.

jobotic

Last time it was Super Electric by Stereolab three times in a row.

Wonder if they were aiming for the pisshead fan groop?

Usually it's a bit of breakcore though - usually the only time I do listen to it these days.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: mojo filters on December 18, 2018, 10:15:08 AM

I'm not sure if it's just finally middle age hitting home? I still collect new and interesting music to add to my already huge collection, but notice I'm less and less often ever getting around to actually listening to it.

Do other folks who've been avid music fans their whole life, suddenly hit a point where you find all the music you need or want to listen to has already been made?

(Apologies if I've rambled off topic, but the question really got me thinking and realising something!)

Yes. It's partly middle age but mainly it is accruing too much music and the instant access to pretty much all it now. Blogspots and Discogs have killed the thrill of the chase too.

Fancy a scotch or two? Put some early Damned on the turntable for us please.

Kane Jones

Hard rock and hair metal. It's a nostalgia thing I think. When I was a teenager it's pretty much all I listened to, so it always reminds me of my youth and when I first started drinking and meeting girls. After a few beers, I can get quite maudlin and teary-eyed when I put on Slipped Her The Big One by Danger Danger.

kngen

I know I'm still pissed from the night before if this gets slapped on the turntable:

More accurate than a breathalyser test and a sure sign that I need to get back to bed and brace myself for the inevitable bastard of a hangover.

kngen

Quote from: mojo filters on December 18, 2018, 10:15:08 AM
The more wasted I am, the more familiar material I tend to go with.

The effects of alcohol are regressive, jamming your limbic system to respond in big child-like gestures rather than the nuanced behaviour of adults, so - like a toddler - familiarity and repetition become far more enjoyable to you.

I know this from extensive research, where many a night spent exploring a pile of exciting new records accompanied by a massive carry-out would be abandoned halfway through in favour of listening to That's When I Reach for My Revolver* 10 times in row while tearfully singing along, much to the joy of my flatmates and neighbours.

*A perfect bevvy-merchant song, this, with its mix of sadness, angst and anger - and a big shout-along chorus.

alan nagsworth

If I'm on my own: aggressive punk/garage rock stuff that makes me jump about the place, like The Damned, Thee Oh Sees, Black Lips, Dead Kennedys...

If I'm entertaining guests: favourite dance mixes, usually the FabricLive by Daphni or techno stuff like Neil Landstrumm or Dave Clarke. Fuckin' guaranteed I'll play Ghetto Obsession 2006 as well, one of the most pumping tunes ever made.

Lordofthefiles

Of late I've been obsessing over Tad - 8 Way Santa, Hüsker du - Zen Arcade, and Satanic Surfers - 666 Motor Inn in my drunken states.

Closing Time by Leonard Cohen is a regular occurrence too...
3am: "How can he be so fuggin good at werds man? That's exactly like closin time at The Red Lionnnnn."

DrGreggles

Ramones, Undertones, Buzzcocks.
Stuff from the punk/new wave era generally.

And the theme from Prisoner Cell Block H.

the science eel

The Fall, yeah.

The Fall really are the drinkest greating band

fucking ponderous

Quote from: kngen on January 17, 2019, 01:32:18 PM

I know this from extensive research, where many a night spent exploring a pile of exciting new records accompanied by a massive carry-out would be abandoned halfway through in favour of listening to That's When I Reach for My Revolver* 10 times in row while tearfully singing along, much to the joy of my flatmates and neighbours.

Excellent call. Same with That's How I Escaped My Certain Fate

Although I've just remembered the many times I've put on 69 Love Songs and went straight through. It's one of the best sing along albums, and the lyrics are bitter and sad but just funny enough to not make you feel like complete shit.

chveik

Morrison Lard

Poison Idea covering the Go-Go's.

GWAR covering Billy Ocean.

Anything on "Live from Daryl's House".

Morrison Lard

Quote from: non capisco on December 18, 2018, 11:23:02 PM
Faith No More
Hell Yeah. Real Thing and Angel Dust are brilliant.

Most of all though I love their Judgement Night song with Boo-Yaa-Tribe.
That whole album is incredible.