Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,474
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:38:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee & Michael Cumming's trying to fund The Nightingales film

Started by Small Man Big Horse, December 19, 2018, 04:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Lee just sent out an email about this project, the site is here and it has a small trailer featuring Lee with a terrible beard: https://kingrockerfilm.com/

Twed

studpuppet

Can't believe they're remaking it.

"There ain't nobody here but us chickens..."

Icehaven

I was briefly in a band with the Nightingales guitarist, which he left to join the Nightingales, so the band ended, so they can SOD OFF. Only kidding he's a lovely chap and we weren't at all bitter.

non capisco

Sebastian Cobb

The beard is bad, but the suit jacket and t-shirt combo is criminal.

It also appears his accent gets stronger when he enters Brum.

shh

I saw some clips of this trailed at an oxide ghosts screening, seems like an interesting story. Lee mentioned somewhere the idea was to make an Anvil-like doc.

Anyway it's on sky arts in a few weeks.

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2021/01/15/47646/sky_arts_to_show_stewart_lees_king_rocker

Jockice

Ooh, I'm definitely going to watch this. Even though I'd put Robert Lloyd a close second to George Cole in my 'most disappointing celebrity meeting' list. I realise that this is stretching the concept of 'celebrity' a bit but I was a big fan who went out of my way to publicise him and he just wasn't very pleasant to me. Still, you can't win em all.

turnstyle

This looks interesting, and I like Lee, but I can't help but notice that his interview technique is to ask a question, and then respond to the answer with the laugh of an evil Scooby Doo ghost (pre-capture and exposure as human fraud).

Definitely going to watch this though.

Shit Good Nose

Looks like Stew's given up on the diet he was bigging up during the Content Provider tour.

(I'm selfishly glad about that, as I've been really struggling to shift the terry for the last couple of years)

PaulTMA

A plus side is that it is very unlikely there will be naff animations depicting the childhoods of The Nightingales

Icehaven

Quote from: icehaven on December 19, 2018, 06:10:13 PM
I was briefly in a band with the Nightingales guitarist, which he left to join the Nightingales, so the band ended, so they can SOD OFF. Only kidding he's a lovely chap and we weren't at all bitter.

I'll definitely watch this, if only to find out if it was true that my ex-bandmate was initially only asked to join temporarily because their regular guitarist dropped an amp on his hand and they had a tour starting, or if that was just to make us feel better about him having to leave us. I was only in the other band for 5 minutes anyway.

non capisco

Really good interview about the film with Lee and Cumming on the latest Mark Kermode 'Kermode On Film' podcast (the one he's usually on with that slightly irksome young lad, not the BBC one with Mayo). Loved all the stuff about the Birmingham King Kong statue, really tapped into the area of childhood obsessions with unusual free standing structures I find so fascinating. Mark Kermode talking to Stewart Lee about esoterica was some good ol' Mark & Lard Graveyard Shift vibes.

Shit Good Nose

Icehaven

scarecrow

It was cool to see a proper doc on Lloyd, and good on Stew Lee for making one. I doubt Lloyd would have worked with someone he wasn't friends with, but there were some bits that felt v self indulgent on Stew's part. Like crowbarring in his friends and his wife. The script reading was a low point, brilliant as Kevin Eldon is.

Also, if I didn't already really like the Gales, I'm not sure the doc would have made me want to listen to their music. It's a shame Chippington wasn't involved. I prefer the Fire documentaries on Shirley Collins and Martin Phillips from the Chills. But still, it was good overall!

Paaaaul

I enjoyed it but yes, the music didn't feature enough.
Ted Chippington did promote the film earlier today on Facebook. He's an odd one.

PaulTMA

scarecrow

Quote from: PaulTMA on January 18, 2021, 04:40:06 PM
A plus side is that it is very unlikely there will be naff animations depicting the childhoods of The Nightingales
Good to see a handful of these animations made it in.

Pranet

Prior to this film I didn't know much about The Nightingales or Robert Lloyd.

But when the Snub TV clip of The Part of the Anchor came on I knew the song. I can't have heard it since it came out, quite possibly the only time I heard it was when it was on Snub TV. But I was at that age when everything gets goes in and gets stored in your brain somewhere.