Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:44:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What FF games are worth playing after FFVII?

Started by The Boston Crab, December 19, 2018, 06:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Glebe

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 19, 2018, 06:25:51 PMI played a few hours of 8, not good enough.

Oh come on. It's not quite up with VII, but it's still pretty wonderful.

I can sometimes jump to conclusions pretty quick, one to regret on the deathbed I reckon but I can only press on in my own indomitable fashion.

Phil_A

FFVIII's alright, but I found the only way to get the most out of it was to follow loads of guides to figure how to win the stupid card games, and then it becomes ridiculously easy.

Before that I would invariably play to disc two and then give up at the boring prison sequence.

Glebe

Quote from: Phil_A on December 20, 2018, 04:35:01 PMFFVIII's alright, but I found the only way to get the most out of it was to follow loads of guides to figure how to win the stupid card games, and then it becomes ridiculously easy.

Before that I would invariably play to disc two and then give up at the boring prison sequence.

I think I actually had the official guide... forgot about the cards, actually.

NoSleep

Quote from: Phil_A on December 20, 2018, 04:35:01 PM
FFVIII's alright, but I found the only way to get the most out of it was to follow loads of guides to figure how to win the stupid card games, and then it becomes ridiculously easy.

I didn't have a guide and found it easy enough to complete (whereas the final run in the crater for VII was rock hard in comparison; only finished it by buying a guide, rearing chocobos for 20 extra hours and acquiring Knights of The Round). It was a decent game to play but the story and the characters were far less engaging than VII and I didn't like the music as much, either.

Thursday

Quote from: Chairman Yang on December 20, 2018, 08:37:43 AM
The best Final Fantasy game is X-2: it's got fanservice, dressing women up in skimpy clothes, homoerotic minigames... presumably has other features. It's like the lighthearted parts of FFXV except there's a really good progress/battle system in there.

It'd be interesting to see if it works at all if you haven't suffered through X first.

Never played X-2, because they replaced Lulu who is the easily the most attractive FF character ever designed with some other random. Let me dress up my goth girlfriend you bastards.

St_Eddie

I spent 150 hours playing Final Fantasy VIII back in 1999.  Got all of my characters up to level 99 with 9,999HP each.  Wasted youth.

Timothy

XV was a great great game.

Thats all.

Good thread and thanks for all the advice. Very useful with a lot of FF coming to Switch.

Mister Six

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 20, 2018, 06:15:05 PM
I spent 150 hours playing Final Fantasy VIII back in 1999.  Got all of my characters up to level 99 with 9,999HP each.  Wasted youth.

Same, except for fucking Selphie who was at about level 14 or 17, having only been used when absolutely necessary.

Golden E. Pump

Quote from: Timothy on December 20, 2018, 06:43:35 PM
XV was a great great game.

Thats all.

Good thread and thanks for all the advice. Very useful with a lot of FF coming to Switch.

I enjoyed it but the story is so slight it almost doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy game. The first few chapters are great. I thought 'this is exactly what I wanted' but then the last chapters rush through some linear set pieces in one of the most lacklustre second halves ever and all the great characters barely get any more screen time after their initial introductions.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mister Six on December 20, 2018, 06:52:23 PM
Same, except for fucking Selphie who was at about level 14 or 17, having only been used when absolutely necessary.

Yeah, I never used her either, except for the purposes of grinding her (ooh err) up to level 99.  I mean, this was even back in the pre-achievment days, so what exactly was the point?!  Ah well, just another thing to add to the stack of poor choices which constitute a wasted life; destined to be rued on my death bed with great shame and deep remorse, I suppose.

Way-hey!  Merry Christmas, everyone!

Thursday

I think I've still got a PS1 memory card with FF7 saves with all the characters on Level 99. Feels valuable even though it really isn't.

bgmnts

Fuck I want to play FFVIII now.

I have hundreds if games on my Xbone and literally don't have the desire to play any. Yet I still crave wanting to re-play shitty old games.

Cloud

Thursday

Selphie's great when you put her next to Vanille from FFXIII though.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Thursday on December 20, 2018, 10:23:17 PM

Literally everything's great when you put it next to anything from FFXIII though.

madhair60

Quote from: Thursday on December 20, 2018, 10:23:17 PM

At the risk of sounding misogynistic I'd like to kill that bitch.

Thursday

I think I'd rather kill the paedophiles that wrote and designed the character though.

Cloud

Erm, explain?

I'm never much of a fan of the obligatory "happy go lucky" character.  There's staying cheerful in the face of desolation and then there's just being annoying.  I did like that Vanille had more depth though (i.e. goes completely batshit when Sazh voices annoyance at it and explains *why* she acts chipper all the time)

Thursday

Quote from: Cloud on December 21, 2018, 07:38:37 PM
Erm, explain?

No.

I feel like suggesting you'd have to be a paedophile to create a character like Vanille is completely fair.

thraxx

Bollocks, Quistis is the hottest ff character. You know what those bookish secretary types are like...

St_Eddie

Quote from: thraxx on December 21, 2018, 08:01:08 PM
You know what those bookish secretary types are like...

Oh boy, do I ever!

Professional and well-read.

Thursday

Give her glasses and whip to Lulu and I'm down.

Thursday

Sin Agog

Consignia

Thursday

Quote from: Consignia on December 21, 2018, 09:34:24 PM
Wakka's probably into NTR anyway.

Don't assume everyone knows what your hentai terms mean!

Also they're together in X-2 aren't they.

That's non-canon.

Consignia

Quote from: Thursday on December 22, 2018, 09:09:52 AM
Don't assume everyone knows what your hentai terms mean!

The alternative would to be the English term, which is now firmly in the alt right playbook. Next we'd have to start discussing how much of a Feminazi Yuna is.

Also they're together in X-2 aren't they.

That's non-canon.

Well, Lulu's had a baby and Wakka's raising it. You have read between the lines. They'll be asking as they grow up why they look like Uncle Auron.