Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:05:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What FF games are worth playing after FFVII?

Started by The Boston Crab, December 19, 2018, 06:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z

Quote from: Thursday on December 20, 2018, 08:47:15 PM
I think I've still got a PS1 memory card with FF7 saves with all the characters on Level 99. Feels valuable even though it really isn't.
Didn't these have a battery which means the data goes when the battery dies? Or was that just gameboy cartridges?

Also, bearing in mind that I was 12 at the time, I far preferred Rikku to Lulu

thraxx

St_Eddie

Quote from: thraxx on December 22, 2018, 02:18:01 PM
Not in the films I've been watching.

Unprofessional and illiterate?  Those hardly seem like ideal qualities for a secretary.

Thursday

Quote from: Z on December 22, 2018, 01:12:08 PM
Didn't these have a battery which means the data goes when the battery dies? Or was that just gameboy cartridges?

Also, bearing in mind that I was 12 at the time, I far preferred Rikku to Lulu

Not sure about that, I checked it was still working a couple of years ago and it was. The only issue I had with PS1 memory cards was a 3rd party one that corrupted.

Consignia

Playstation memory cards are solid state, I believe. They shouldn't have the need for batteries. Although who knows about those mad third party ones that could have pages and such in them.

Twed

If in doubt, search "playstation memory card teardown" on YouTube.

(Yes, solid state in the official ones)

St_Eddie

Quote from: Consignia on December 22, 2018, 07:06:06 PM
Playstation memory cards are solid state, I believe.

Mate.  If anyone's a solid state, it's you.

Cerys

VII and IX can both be completed using nothing but attacks, items and Limit Breaks.  I haven't got around to trying this with the others yet.

For replay value, I'd say that VII is the best of all the ones I've played (IV - XIII).

St_Eddie

Quote from: Cerys on January 03, 2019, 02:50:18 AM
...For replay value, I'd say that VII is the best of all the ones I've played (IV - XIII).

Agreed.  I've completed VII around 6-7 times.  Whereas, I've completed VIII and IX twice each and for any other games in the series which I've played, I've either completed them once or I've given up halfway through (or in the case of XIII, about 5 hours in because it's absolutely bloody awful).

Cloud

Honestly lost count of the number of times I've played VII.  20+ I'd say

Glebe

RE: Leveling up later characters in the game, yes, that was annoying. Running around the open world having scraps trying to advance them instead of flying off to face Sephiroth and that.

Cerys

Prompted by this thread, I have just begun a playthrough of FFVIII, using only attacks and Limit Breaks.  The downside of this is that I can't revive or cure my characters mid-fight, as apparently you need to junction a GF to use items in battle.  I've just been killed by the Elvoret in Dollet.  It was a combination of a dodgy controller, and terminal indecision when using Selphie's Limit Break.  Frankly I'm amazed I made it as far as I did.

St_Eddie

Cerys

'Sokay - the huge flappy bastard is now no more, along with the big robotic thing of 'why won't you just die'.  This may actually be doable.

St_Eddie

Cerys

Cerys

Thursday

Have fun in that terrible Desert Prison part of the game

Cerys

St_Eddie

Cerys

Well, I've got as far as the end of the Missile Base, but the ironclad boss is giving me a lot of trouble.  Without a monumental amount of luck I may have to declare myself beaten.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Cerys on January 07, 2019, 01:27:41 AM
Well, I've got as far as the end of the Missile Base, but the ironclad boss is giving me a lot of trouble.  Without a monumental amount of luck I may have to declare myself beaten.

That boss took me multiple attempts to beat and that was during a regular playthrough, using all of my magics and curing myself like a great big bruised and battered sissy!

Cerys

I'm depending on Selphie's Limit Break - I think I may try going in with her on low health.  It's either that or waste time twatting her in the battle itself, which is how I finally beat the bastard on the train.

Cerys

Anyway, getting back to the point of the thread - VI is definitely worth a play, although it might jar a bit if you're dependent on battle animation in a FF game.  Actually I wouldn't mind a remake just to give the visuals an upgrade.

Twed

Less battlewank animation is half of the allure of the earlier games.

bgmnts

Oh i'd add Lost Odyssey to this thread.

Incredible game.

Blue Dragon, to a lesser extent.

Cloud

Quote from: bgmnts on January 07, 2019, 03:30:23 PM
Oh i'd add Lost Odyssey to this thread.

+1

The unofficial Final Fantasy

Or "the real FFXII" as I called it at the time (wasn't keen on the official one)

Mister Six

All I can remember about Lost Odyssey is there only being one good voice actor (the comedy wizard guy) and a really long, tedious bit where one of the kids has to trudge up a really long bridge, really slowly, in a blizzard. Also there being nobody much to talk to and nothing to find in the very linear towns. Got bored and dropped it. So no, I do not third these votes.

Cerys

Quote from: Twed on January 07, 2019, 01:48:52 PM
Less battlewank animation is half of the allure of the earlier games.

Good point.  Not an over-the-top remake, then - just some tweaks to make the movement more natural, rather than the existing slide of static sprites.  Retain the retro look, without the grating.

Golden E. Pump

The thing about FFVII though is that it's an absolute top tier game. I've still never experienced a game that's come close in terms of my investment in the characters, world and plot. It made me empathise with a stuffed bear being ridden by a magical cat, for fuck's sake.

I enjoyed X, most of IX, parts of VIII and half of XV, but they're just no better than good RPGs. VII was the game-changer and is genuinely one of the greatest games ever made. The remake could be absolutely magic if they update it with the leaps and bounds made in terms of technological advancement in gameplay and graphics, but leave the story the fuck alone. Which they won't. But just imagine a game that looks as beautiful as FFXV but with the levelling and materia system, story, setting and characters of VII. That's a winning mix right there.