Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:43:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What FF games are worth playing after FFVII?

Started by The Boston Crab, December 19, 2018, 06:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

I wonder if this Brexit business would ever have happened if people had taken my advice all those years ago and called the Euro the Gil instead.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on January 08, 2019, 11:40:51 PM
The thing about FFVII though is that it's an absolute top tier game. I've still never experienced a game that's come close in terms of my investment in the characters, world and plot. It made me empathise with a stuffed bear being ridden by a magical cat, for fuck's sake.
I can only agree 100% to this. I go back to about December 1999, I'm living in student halls and have gone over my ankle badly and can't get around. Out of sympathy, a flatmate lends me his PS1 while he goes home for the weekend, along with "this game I can't be having", which was FF7.

I'd been an avid gamer in my early years, from ZX Spectrum to Sega Master System to Amiga 600, but then lost interest in anything beyond the latest Champ Manager. I doubt I had ever played any kind of RPG, but this game wrapped me into it's world in no time. I would guess I put in a good 20 hour shift at first.

Metal Gear Solid had a similar effect around the same time, but I think FF7 ranks as the most rewarding gaming experience I've ever had. I played the ported PS4 version last year and it still hit the right spots, still laughed when Cid bellows "sit your arse down and drink your goddamned tea!" and when he chews Cloud out for his "let's mosey" line.

Thursday

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 08, 2019, 11:51:24 PM
when he chews Cloud out for his "let's mosey" line.

It's funny how Cloud is remembered as this angsty emo character when the reality doesn't really live up to it at all. I mean he's full of stuff like that. I mean early on he's this jaded mercenary type, but even that doesn't really fit the "emo" thing.

I feel like the characters are often vague enough that you project a lot of character onto them yourself because the translation means you have to. And I guess he's remembered that way because that's how a lot of american 12 year old's interpreted it. But then that became how they wrote him, and it's probably how they'll write him in the remake.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Thursday on January 10, 2019, 06:14:04 PMI feel like the characters are often vague enough that you project a lot of character onto them yourself because the translation means you have to. And I guess he's remembered that way because that's how a lot of american 12 year old's interpreted it. But then that became how they wrote him, and it's probably how they'll write him in the remake.
I agree with that and it's part of the charm of being able to name the characters - you end up naming them after people they remind you of and it adds extra edge to the story, that's it you and your mates on this journey. VI was particularly great for this.

Cloud

I'm excited and terrified for the VII remake in equal measure.  They'll either fuck it up or enhance a masterpiece

Quote from: Thursday on January 10, 2019, 06:14:04 PM
It's funny how Cloud is remembered as this angsty emo character when the reality doesn't really live up to it at all. I mean he's full of stuff like that. I mean early on he's this jaded mercenary type, but even that doesn't really fit the "emo" thing.

Yeah I never saw him that way and I named myself after the daft sod.  He had (more than) a few things going on in his head, and the younger me identified with him for some reason growing up but I wouldn't say angsty emo type.   That's more Squall's domain.

Cerys

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 10, 2019, 06:17:28 PM
I agree with that and it's part of the charm of being able to name the characters - you end up naming them after people they remind you of and it adds extra edge to the story, that's it you and your mates on this journey. VI was particularly great for this.

Locke's picture always reminds me of Nagsworth.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Cloud on January 10, 2019, 11:27:50 PMYeah I never saw him that way and I named myself after the daft sod.  He had (more than) a few things going on in his head, and the younger me identified with him for some reason growing up but I wouldn't say angsty emo type.   That's more Squall's domain.
I was around 18/19 when I played FFVII and VIII for the first time, perhaps the perfect age. Stroppy get that I was, I probably related to both Cloud and Squall in various ways. And, yeah, I named the Rinoa character after a girl I fancied but never got anywhere near. Eh, the folly of youth. I often think my interest in the FF games dipped when you couldn't rename the characters - I'd sacrifice voiceovers for that again.

I note VIII has not been re-released on PS4 yet (unlike VII, IX and X), which might say something about it's reputation.

Cerys

Either that or they're planning a remake after they've redone VII.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Cerys on January 10, 2019, 11:50:14 PM
Either that or they're planning a remake after they've redone VII.
I'd be happy with just a straight port like they did with FF7. Not sure I'm arsed about the total remake they're doing of VII... for one thing I imagine it'll all be voiced and cute ninja girl won't be named after my friend Mariko anymore, for instance.

Cloud

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 10, 2019, 11:46:41 PM
I was around 18/19 when I played FFVII and VIII for the first time, perhaps the perfect age. Stroppy get that I was, I probably related to both Cloud and Squall in various ways. And, yeah, I named the Rinoa character after a girl I fancied but never got anywhere near. Eh, the folly of youth. I often think my interest in the FF games dipped when you couldn't rename the characters - I'd sacrifice voiceovers for that again.

I note VIII has not been re-released on PS4 yet (unlike VII, IX and X), which might say something about it's reputation.

Pretty sure I was 16/17 as I remember thinking "wow Squall is my age" by the time VIII came around  and yeah I did identify with a lot of his stuff as well like "thinking too much".
It was a bit of a trip replaying it a little while later and thinking "well fuck, now I'm 'old' and no longer his age" :(

Thought I heard something about how VIII was written that it's not as easy to re-release and they'd basically have to remake it.  Maybe,  but it's not exactly the most popular...

Complete aside - I remember for VIII, IX and X being massively excited and buying them on release day, then playing nonstop until finished.  Fair to say those days are behind me now, I got XV like 6 months late and still haven't finished it...

Z

Quote from: bgmnts on January 07, 2019, 03:30:23 PM
Oh i'd add Lost Odyssey to this thread.

Incredible game.

Blue Dragon, to a lesser extent.
How about the Last Story? I remember it getting raves on release

Thursday

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 10, 2019, 11:46:41 PM

This is thought to have more to do with VIII not being re-released

Dannyhood91

Sin Agog

I once wrote and arranged this song I was dead proud of, only to realise the second I'd finished that I'd ripped the whole thing off the opera sequence in VI.

NoSleep

I now know the answer to the opening post is Final Fantasy Tactics (originally on the PSX). In actual fact the best version of the game is the remake for the PSP (Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of The Lions) as there is a superior translation from the original Japanese and upgraded CGI cutscenes.