Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:45:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Drones kill Christmas

Started by popcorn, December 20, 2018, 11:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

My family are currently sitting around in the living room having had their plans for a trip to Iceland "iced" by a Gatwick drone strike. Luckily I was not joining them anyway. Suckers!

I'm curious about what the logistical challenge of neutralising the drones is. I would have imagined an airport would have the necessary instruments, but apparently the things are too small. So what's going on? Are there loads of blokes standing around the airfield with binoculars? Does it keep turning up and then disappearing, like a mosquito in a bedroom? How far away could the bloke controlling the drones realistically be? Is Putin behind this?

popcorn

If I were plotting to disrupt Gatwick and someone suggested "what if we flew a drone around in an annoying way" I'd be like "nah that's rubbish, that won't do anything".

Jerzy Bondov

I was a dab hand at the classic arcade shooter game Silent Scope so I think I'd have a good chance at neutralizing the drone and, once located, its pilot.

Sherringford Hovis

Just watch as various establishment apologists blame Extinction Rebellion for this.

It's probably looking for a mate. 

popcorn

This sort of thing won't happen once we're out of the EU.

popcorn

"The police say it can't be shot down due to public safety issues. Can the RAF be deployed?" asks BBC presenter.

biggytitbo

Can they not use a bigger drone to capture the drone?

MuteBanana

Does anyone have this guy's number?

king_tubby

Can't believe Putin's fucking up people's Xmas hols, what a rotter.

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on December 20, 2018, 12:01:49 PM
Just watch as various establishment apologists blame Extinction Rebellion for this.

Isn't this the most plausible explanation at present?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Emotional Support Peacock on December 20, 2018, 12:16:57 PM
Isn't this the most plausible explanation at present?

If not it should give them some ideas. Got to be the cheapest way to down a whole airport there is.

My view is its probably aliens.

Dr Trouser

When did remote controlled helicopters become known as 'drones'?

Buelligan

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Dr Trouser on December 20, 2018, 12:37:18 PM
When did remote controlled helicopters become known as 'drones'?

It's the persistent noise

im barry bethel

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 20, 2018, 12:11:07 PM
Can they not use a bigger drone to capture the drone?

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly
I don't know why she swallowed a fly
Perhaps she was high on methamphetamine

Anyway you kids with your new fangled ways should take a leaf out of the old fashioned ways

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AhDG_WBIQgc

Shit Good Nose

A relative of my manager is currently waiting for an organ transplant, which was supposed to happen today.  Said organ was making part of its journey by plane, but now isn't as it's held up by this drone thing.  Luckily this one isn't a life or death situation and it just means they'll either have to reschedule the transplant if it needs to be taken back into storage, or she'll have to wait a few more hours whilst they bring it by wheeled non-flying vehicle instead.

But just think of all the things that have been ruined by some cunt with a toy.  IF they ever catch the culprit (assuming it's not just a drone that's gone haywire and fucked off on its own, which was mentioned as a possibility on the news earlier), they ought to slam them with an inordinately heavy fine and sentence (I suppose a couple of years in the nick wouldn't be possible, for shame).  And then kick the cunt(s) hard in the balls.  Twice.

kittens

you'd think that the plane, one of the largest flying machines, would not be afraid of the drone, one of the smallest. guess it's like elephants and mouses isn't it.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: kittens on December 20, 2018, 02:55:10 PM
you'd think that the plane, one of the largest flying machines, would not be afraid of the drone, one of the smallest. guess it's like elephants and mouses isn't it.

You say that, but there was a video on the news at lunch where they tested a small drone hitting a plane wing.  If it was in the real world, that plane was coming down...

im barry bethel

Elon Musk has just been spotted in Crawley town centre

kittens

if i was a plane i'd just shove the little bitty drone out of the sky with my massive wings or jet enginges. bunch of pussies. as it stands i have no wings or jets and i'm human sized and i would still leather a drone if it tried to stop me going to iceland.

Jittlebags

Presumably, even professional drones won't fly for more than 30 minutes or so without charging. So why aren't they going after it when it goes to get charged. Unless some weirdo has a fleet of dozens of the fuckers.

gib

Why can't they work out where the signal is coming from, there must be some special equipment for this in a cupboard somewhere.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Jittlebags on December 20, 2018, 03:17:09 PM
Presumably, even professional drones won't fly for more than 30 minutes or so without charging. So why aren't they going after it when it goes to get charged. Unless some weirdo has a fleet of dozens of the fuckers.

I thought the same, but I'm sure I heard that there were two flying around at one point, so it's not beyond possibility that either there is a small fleet, or it's a group of people acting the cunt.

Jittlebags

Quote from: gib on December 20, 2018, 03:18:46 PM
Why can't they work out where the signal is coming from, there must be some special equipment for this in a cupboard somewhere.

If this were a Doctor Who episode, they's say "Reverse the Polarity", and there - fixed.

BlodwynPig

Christmas story that will seem archaic in 5 years time

Sin Agog

Somebody needs to kill the queen.

This isn't a bee pun.  I just fancy seeing her maj get killed and that.