Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:51:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Drones kill Christmas

Started by popcorn, December 20, 2018, 11:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cuellar on December 21, 2018, 09:30:46 AM
I do hope they find the person, as I really want to know their motivation.

Couldn't you get a really good sniper to have a go? I know drones move about a lot, but they must be stationary at some point before whizzing off again like a naughty.

They had snipers ready yesterday. Drone never showed up.

Cuellar

Norton Canes

"Sorry sir, we shot your drone"

"But it was 500 meters outside the exclusion zone and travelling in the opposite direction..."

Cuellar

They'd probably shoot a Brazilian drone just going to work on the underground because it looked a bit foreign

Icehaven

What would actually happen if a plane hit a drone? Would the remote control signal foul up the plane's radio stuff too?

Cuellar

https://youtu.be/QH0V7kp-xg0?t=103

This is what happens!! And that's only a wee one, isn't it? These ones (or one) were (or was) 'substantial', whatever that means.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cuellar on December 21, 2018, 09:46:12 AM

This is what happens!! And that's only a wee one, isn't it? These ones (or one) were (or was) 'substantial', whatever that means.

Maybe these drones were actually just planes taking off and landing at Gatwick?!

biggytitbo

I'm not one to be conspiratorial as you know but Theresa May has been relentlessly lucky with well timed diversions hasn't she?

Blumf

Thing with that is, there's already a bird strike risk and aircraft are designed with that in mind. Drones aren't that much bigger/heavier. It's not good, but it should be survivable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_strike

Icehaven

That's only a wee plane too though, would the same/similar happen to a Jumbo Jet?

I'm not saying they should have ploughed on regardless and taken the risk of course, I'm more curious about when, inevitably (if it hasn't occurred already) a big plane does hit a drone during takeoff or landing, what are the consequences going to be.

buzby

I can't see YT short links in work, but I'm guessing that's the University of Dayton's collision test with a wing leading edge. That is bad enough, but a far worse risk is if a drone were to collide with an engine. Takeoff and landing are the most critical parts of the flight envelope for an airliner with respect to any disruption in engine thrust (see the 'Miracle On The Hudson' where both engines were destroyed by bird strikes during takeoff). The turbine disc of an engine is also a far bigger target for a collision than the leading edge of a wing.

The only reason why there's not been a real life test of a drone strike on a jet engine is because it's way more expensive to do as the engine is going to be scrap afterwards. Virginia Tech have done a CFD simulation of a collision though.

Cuellar

It is indeed the Drayton test video. I was surprised at how much damage it did to a wing, so I can only imagine one hitting an engine.

Cuellar

Liz Truss says 'barking dogs deter drones'

steveh

One of the problems in response to the incident is that we have a privatised Gatwick airport and a privatised air traffic control service with standard contracts governing their operating procedure and interaction with other agencies so when something novel comes along then it doesn't fit into the framework and there's no way of handling it.

On top of that, as with the trains, the Department for Transport is operating at arms length with career civil servants who have no experience of actual operating issues because they are simply managing (too often micromanaging) contracts, whereas in the old days a lot of the decisions would be delegated down into the actual organisations that ran the services.

Personally my money's on it being a disgruntled ex-Gatwick employee.

Sebastian Cobb

I read somewhere some prisons were trialling having hawks wipe drones out (used to drop drugs from above). Probably for smaller models though innit.

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 21, 2018, 10:54:16 AM
I read somewhere some prisons were trialling having hawks wipe drones out (used to drop drugs from above). Probably for smaller models though innit.
The Dutch Police had a go at it, but gave up on the idea as it didn't work very well.

Abandoned because the hawks would risk injury and death

Dex Sawash

Were the drones even distracted by having drugs dropped on them?

Icehaven

They'd probably just start using Hawks to fly the drugs in instead. I'm not even joking.

im barry bethel

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 21, 2018, 09:59:07 AM
Maybe these drones were actually just planes taking off and landing at Gatwick?!

Borrowers annual Christmas getaway, Pod Clock hadn't wound enough rubber bands around the cotton bobbin

Quote from: icehaven on December 21, 2018, 10:25:15 AM
That's only a wee plane too though, would the same/similar happen to a Jumbo Jet?

All depends if the drone is frozen or thawed

St_Eddie

Quote from: Cuellar on December 21, 2018, 09:30:46 AM
I do hope they find the person, as I really want to know their motivation.

Some people just want to watch the world burn be an annoying cunt.

Blumf

Shit Good Nose

It's going to turn out to be a couple of 11/12 year olds isn't it.

I can't imagine an eco warrior would own a drone, given  it's mostly made of plastic. They don't make bamboo drones do they?

Neomod

I take it the cops were looking into the wrong 'persons of interest' then.

Zetetic

Quote from: Blumf on December 21, 2018, 05:37:25 PM
Aaaaand they're back!

Are they?

Perhaps we're at the beginnings of an epidemic of drone-hysteria.

gatchamandave

This is a job for Supreme Headquarters Anti Drone Organisation !!!

biggytitbo

There's something very odd about this story.

Squink

Come on bigs, unleash it. What's your theory?

shiftwork2

Let's use drones to close some other things.  For example, WH Smith.