Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:37:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Drones kill Christmas

Started by popcorn, December 20, 2018, 11:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 20, 2018, 02:50:30 PM
IF they ever catch the culprit (assuming it's not just a drone that's gone haywire and fucked off on its own, which was mentioned as a possibility on the news earlier), they ought to slam them with an inordinately heavy fine and sentence (I suppose a couple of years in the nick wouldn't be possible, for shame).

BBC sez: "It is illegal to fly a drone within 1km of an airport or airfield boundary and flying above 400ft (120m) - which increases the risk of a collision with a manned aircraft - is also banned. Endangering the safety of an aircraft is a criminal offence which can carry a prison sentence of five years."

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: popcorn on December 20, 2018, 03:56:41 PM
BBC sez: "It is illegal to fly a drone within 1km of an airport or airfield boundary and flying above 400ft (120m) - which increases the risk of a collision with a manned aircraft - is also banned. Endangering the safety of an aircraft is a criminal offence which can carry a prison sentence of five years."

The operative word there being "can".  A possibility on paper rarely transfers into happening in real life.  Obviously if an accident DID happen as a result of it, then I would expect nothing less.  But as it is, and if they catch the person/people, I'd be surprised if it was any more than a few thousand pounds and some community payback or summat.

I'll quickly acknowledge I'm being cynical and would like nothing more than to be proven completely wrong on this one...

popcorn

BlodwynPig

Lordofthefiles

How long before the news says: "its defo the Russians"

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 20, 2018, 04:04:45 PM
The operative word there being "can".  A possibility on paper rarely transfers into happening in real life.  Obviously if an accident DID happen as a result of it, then I would expect nothing less.  But as it is, and if they catch the person/people, I'd be surprised if it was any more than a few thousand pounds and some community payback or summat.

I'll quickly acknowledge I'm being cynical and would like nothing more than to be proven completely wrong on this one...

I think they may well want to send a message with this one. The drone(s) keep coming and going, suggesting that whoever's behind it knows exactly what they are doing and how much disruption they are causing.

Glebe

'Attack of the Drones!'

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!

I'm delighted. What valve goes on holiday over Christmas? You get what you deserve.

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 20, 2018, 04:35:45 PM
I'm delighted. What valve goes on holiday over Christmas? You get what you deserve.

Rachel Riley's down there apparently. Now that's a valve I'd like to give what it deserves, eh readers?!

Noonling

Imagine - you join the army to shoot some filthy foreigners and instead you're just hanging around Gatwick Airport at Christmas time.

Cuellar

How far away can you be from a drone you're flying?

I would have thought the potential radius to search in would be small enough.

Captain Z

Surely these days, if you're set out to cause an issue of this scale, you could just pre-program a flight path and have it transmitted from a laptop hidden in some bushes.

Noonling

You could also just build a giant snow machine.

steveh

Suggestions on Twitter from drone people seem to be that preprogramming the flight would be the safest approach with it then dumped somewhere out of the way after its five minutes causing disruption at Gatwick.

For a thirty minute fly time it could be launched from anywhere in the blue circle below. If it has a sixty minute fly time (perhaps by being adapted) it could be from within the red circle below. Consumer drones are also designed to block flying near airports so it would likely need modified firmware.

Via https://twitter.com/brad3d/status/1075748568382619648

Quote from: Noonling on December 20, 2018, 04:57:42 PM
Imagine - you join the army to shoot some filthy foreigners and instead you're just hanging around Gatwick Airport at Christmas time.

[tag]John Lennon's Imagine/Happy Xmas medley needs more work[/tag]

jobotic

[tag]Phill Niblock and Tony Conrad sheepishly vacate Surrey[tag]

Replies From View

Quote from: MuteBanana on December 20, 2018, 12:11:27 PM
Does anyone have this guy's number?

I think this is wonderful.

I'd especially love it if that drone belonged to the organisers of the event or the main sponsor, or someone like that.

im barry bethel

Quote from: steveh on December 20, 2018, 05:25:04 PM
Suggestions on Twitter from drone people seem to be that preprogramming the flight would be the safest approach with it then dumped somewhere out of the way after its five minutes causing disruption at Gatwick.

Before ingeniously catching the last flight outta Gatwick

Brundle-Fly

tag>  Simon Brodkin didn't think it through <

buzby

Quote from: Captain Z on December 20, 2018, 05:12:36 PM
Surely these days, if you're set out to cause an issue of this scale, you could just pre-program a flight path and have it transmitted from a laptop hidden in some bushes.
The flight path is preprogrammed into the drone before flight - you don't need a transmitter.

Even if they are controlled manually, the modern digital 2.4GHz radio control systems use Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS) algorithms to reduce the chances of being affected by interference, which makes them very hard to jam. The ubiquity of devices using the 2.4GHz part of the spectrum (e.g. WiFi, mobile phones, baby monitors doorbells etc) also makes jamming quite hazardous, and makes finding a transmitter very difficult.

It was a lot easier in the old days of analogue radio control gear, which operated at 35mHz and was easily jammed, as it's part of the spectrum not used by many other applications.

The biggest danger regarding a collision would be if a drone was ingested in an engine during takeoff or landing.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Quote from: buzby on December 20, 2018, 06:12:52 PM
The flight path is preprogrammed into the drone before flight - you don't need a transmitter.

Even if they are controlled manually, the modern 2.4GHz radio control systems use Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS) algorithms to reduce the chances of being affected by interference, which makes them very hard to jam. The ubiquity of devices using the 2.4GHz part of the spectrum (e.g. WiFi, mobile phones, baby monitors doorbells etc) also makes jamming quite hazardous, and makes finding a transmitter very difficult.

It was calling lot easier in the old days of analogue radio control gear, which operated at 35mHz and was easily jammed, as it's part of the spectrum not used by many other applications.

The biggest danger regarding a collision would be if a drone was ingested in an engine during takeoff or landing.

Didnt need to move eyes left to know this is Buzby

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Neomod on December 20, 2018, 03:27:08 PM
No room for a drone killer in Gatwick's security cupboard?

https://www.defensenews.com/digital-show-dailies/navy-league/2018/04/10/this-gun-shoots-drones-out-of-the-sky/

Never mind that excellent bit of kit, why don't they just bring in a guy with a shotgun?

hummingofevil

Surely taking this long to sort the issue is complete incompetency on someone's part? Cant they just fly a flock of birds into it or something?

gib

Quote from: buzby on December 20, 2018, 06:12:52 PM

Even if they are controlled manually, the modern digital 2.4GHz radio control systems use Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS) algorithms to reduce the chances of being affected by interference, which makes them very hard to jam. The ubiquity of devices using the 2.4GHz part of the spectrum (e.g. WiFi, mobile phones, baby monitors doorbells etc) also makes jamming quite hazardous, and makes finding a transmitter very difficult.

It was a lot easier in the old days of analogue radio control gear, which operated at 35mHz and was easily jammed, as it's part of the spectrum not used by many other applications.

Is this a load of bollocks then? https://www.cbsnews.com/news/drone-zappers-stop-flying-intruders-in-midair/

Norton Canes

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 20, 2018, 06:13:06 PM
Is this shit still going on?

Grayling just reported as saying "Every time Gatwick tries to reopen the runway, the drones reappear".

buzby

Quote from: gib on December 20, 2018, 06:18:15 PM
Is this a load of bollocks then? https://www.cbsnews.com/news/drone-zappers-stop-flying-intruders-in-midair/
It would work in ideal conditions- a nearby target in clear air. If there's any background clutter from buildings, trees vehicles etc on the radar's horizon it would make it a lot more difficult to resolve  a drone.  Unlike the Boeing laser- based system, it would do nothing for drones with pre-programmed flight paths (there's no control signal to disrupt) and even in manual control you are supposed to have a progammed failsafe flight path (usually back to it's launch point) if the control signal is lost. That Blighter system is'nt going to knock a competently-operated drone straight out of the sky.

popcorn

How do we reckon this is going to end then?

Big net? Missile strike? Nuke from orbit? Battery rundown? Culprit discovered up a tree? What are the army going to do exactly?

Spoon of Ploff

I heard the drones are armed with those laser pens that can blind pilots. Is there no end to their evil?