Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:31:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Eighth Grade (2018)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, December 20, 2018, 01:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Bo Burnham's cinematic debut this is a coming of age flick about a thirteen year old and the final week of Eighth Grade. She's desperate to be more popular and have friends, but despite her best attempts nothing really goes to plan. Often funny, often cringeworthy but very likeable, even if it will bring back memories of the horrors of being a teenager. 7.4/10

up_the_hampipe

I've wanted to see this for a long time because Bo Burnham is a brilliant genius (not up for debate), but they weren't releasing it in the UK. Is it on streaming platforms now or did you just 'acquire' it?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on December 20, 2018, 01:22:59 PM
I've wanted to see this for a long time because Bo Burnham is a brilliant genius (not up for debate), but they weren't releasing it in the UK. Is it on streaming platforms now or did you just 'acquire' it?

It's on the torrent sites, yeah. It's weird it's not been released in the UK as it's pretty accessible stuff, but hopefully it'll turn up on Netflix or Amazon soon.

Shit Good Nose

Caveat - I haven't seen all of it, but...

From what I have seen, it's been done much better several times before and, as SMBH mentioned, it's incredibly cringeworthy.  It's very...if you're familiar with the current style of American YouTubers and the videos they make, then that's basically what this is.  That being the case, you'll either engage with it straight away, or you'll want to murder every single person on screen after about three minutes.

(I will see the rest of it at some point, I just ran out of time and couldn't finish it is all)

Mister Six

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 20, 2018, 02:00:30 PM
From what I have seen, it's been done much better several times before ...if you're familiar with the current style of American YouTubers and the videos they make, then that's basically what this is.

So you've seen about two minutes of it?

It's a tremendously well-written, directed and (importantly) acted coming-of-age story in which the YouTube videos play a very small part in the runtime, and are basically there to show the girl's ambitions and growth as a person. They also cast a rather startling light on the film, as it makes clear how pervasive and poisonous social media can be during a stage of life in which children are very self-conscious and seeking validation.

It's very, very good.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Mister Six on December 20, 2018, 07:00:21 PM
So you've seen about two minutes of it?

I think I ducked out (not out of choice) at the 20-25 minute mark.  It didn't immediately engage me but, equally, I wasn't put off going back to it to watch the rest (which, as I said, I will when I get the chance).

The main negative for me, over and above the YT stuff, was the cringe factor, but that may well have been intentional and obviously so as the film progresses.

rasta-spouse

It seems to cover the same ground as The Edge of Seventeen (2016) ... but I think that film tops it. Some of the key scenes mirror each other. Not sure what the age of people in 8th grade is, as it's US terminology.

bgmnts

Anything revolving around teenagers can fuck off really.

Mister Six

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 20, 2018, 11:25:05 PM
The main negative for me, over and above the YT stuff, was the cringe factor, but that may well have been intentional and obviously so as the film progresses.

Yeah, that's a fixture for most of the film, and very much intentionally so.

Quote from: rasta-spouse on December 21, 2018, 05:12:51 PM
It seems to cover the same ground as The Edge of Seventeen (2016) ... but I think that film tops it. Some of the key scenes mirror each other. Not sure what the age of people in 8th grade is, as it's US terminology.

Eighth graders are 13-14, and the gap between that and seventeen (or the edge of) is pretty substantial, as Eighth Grade makes clear when she hangs out with the high-schoolers. Intrigued, I looked at Edge of Seventeen's wiki page and that sounds substantially more histrionic and capital-D Dramatic, with its suicide talk, failing friendships, "Oh my god, you're sleeping with my brother" moments etc. One of the things I liked about Eighth Grade was that it was so gentle and subdued, save for that one uncomfortable scene...

jofo

Just seen this after putting it off for a while because I could muster up the engery to watch a film about a 13 year old girl going through school.
I didnt know much about it except that it was made by Bo Burnham.

I should'nt have put if off because it was brillant! There are a couple of things I really liked. Unfortunatley Like most sutble films, taking about why you like it sort of deminshes the enjoyment of the recommendee.

I should say that as a father of two little girls this film conected with me as an insight to whats in store.There was a certian sence of dread hanging in the air in most scenes for me.... I didnt know what was going to happen to Kayla. Certain times in the movie you are unsure if its going to take a turn for the worst. Everyone involed was great. I couldn't help shake the feeling that the father was played by this guy for a few mintues https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ross_Bowie. Thankfully he is not.

Social Media is poison.

we are doomed.

give it a whirl.

garbed_attic

Just saw this - found it really tender and convincing. I loved how loud the soundtrack got when she was wearing her headphones.

chocky909

Thanks for the recommendations. That was a really well made and lovely little film. I actually cried a bit during the chicken nuggets scene.

Head Gardener

Kermodes film of the week over Endgame

olliebean

Without having seen Endgame, I have absolutely no doubt that this is the better film.

PlanktonSideburns

Thought this was well fucking well good. Non didactic, great performance from lead actor, dad was well fit, free of so much of the things that suck about usual teen drama, went in a furious aching twat from too much warehouse work, certainly not in the mood for a film about bastad teenagers, left delighted

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Head Gardener on April 26, 2019, 06:07:04 PM
Kermodes film of the week over Endgame

What?  This film's a year old, did it only just come out in the UK?

Anyway, it's fine.  Competent enough.  Nothing revelatory, probably not in my top 10 films featuring similar subject matter.   Wouldn't have made it further than Netflix if it weren't for the Burnham name.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 27, 2019, 12:04:36 PM
What?  This film's a year old, did it only just come out in the UK?

Yeah, they couldn't get distribution for ages as no one thought anyone outside of the US would be interested in seeing it, despite many other teen comedies / coming of age films doing well, it's bizarre.

Emma Raducanu

Saw this last night. Fucking excellent and utterly depressing portrayal of a socially awkward teenager. The pool party scene, when they were opening presents, I wanted the ground to open up. Really well acted, with all the awful scenarios connecting with me on some level. Never rooted for someone so much.

PlanktonSideburns

agree with dolphin. this film has really stuck with me since watching, - awkwardness felt real and not manipulative, like we were experiencing it with the character, not observing it from outside, vampire-like. An honest portrayal of struggle and loneliness growing up