Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:18:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Deadwood

Started by Custard, December 20, 2018, 01:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

So the TV film is pretty much in the can, and is set to air Spring next year. Hurrah!

Some info here - https://ew.com/tv/2018/12/19/deadwood-movie-story-interview/?utm_term=912FFF28-03C4-11E9-825E-5FA5923C408C&

Been rewatching the series the past three weeks or so, and already near the end of the third season. It's a superb show, with a great cast, ace characters, and the writing and direction still feels fresh

It's also a lot funnier than I remembered it, with at least one laugh out loud moment or line per episode. So brilliantly written and performed by a cast that's clearly enjoying every minute

Does it need an "ending"? Maybe not. The last episode was an abrupt yet oddly fitting finale. But I can't say I'm not tremendously excited by the thought of one final visit to those characters and the bleak world they live in. Hopefully it's a banger

Dex Sawash

I bet they kill off Cy Tolliver

Custard

Will probably just say he died of knob-rot

Speaking of Cy, his comment that someone had been dipping into the "cunt-brine" of another is both the greatest and most revolting thing I've ever heard.

Cunt-brine.

Small Man Big Horse

A. W. Merrick is supposed to be back though, which surprises.

Small Man Big Horse

Rather sadly David Milch has revealed he has Alzheimers. This is Variety's take on the story:

QuoteDavid Milch, the creator of "Deadwood," revealed his Alzheimer's diagnosis in an interview published Tuesday.

"As best I understand it, which is minimally, I have a deterioration in the organization of my brain," Milch told Vulture. "And it's progressive. And in some ways discouraging. In more than some ways — in every way I can think of." Beginning five years ago, people around him noticed instances of "imperfect recall and tardy recall and short temper," Milch said. "I became more and more of an acquired taste."

He also struggled with his writing process, which was characterized by "a generalized incertitude and a growing incapacity." About a year ago, Milch finally underwent a brain scan and received the diagnosis. Milch created the acclaimed HBO Western series "Deadwood," which aired from 2004 to 2006. He also wrote "Deadwood: The Movie," which is a continuation of the original series and will see most of the original cast return, including Ian McShane and Timothy Olyphant. It is slated to premiere May 31 on HBO.

"We treasure our relationship with David Milch, a beloved and long-standing member of the HBO family," HBO said in a statement. "We honor David's privacy and stand by his side in every way as he faces this challenge." "Deadwood" has won numerous accolades, including eight Emmy Awards out of 28 nominations. Milch has garnered three Emmys for his work on "Hill Street Blues" and "NYPD Blue," the latter of which he co-created. He also created or co-created "Brooklyn South" and "Big Apple" and HBO's "John From Cincinnati" and "Luck."

Bazooka

Damn what a blow...

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Trailer!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0WrXmhvXTA

Waking Life

Anyone watched it yet? I enjoyed it and didn't feel like a different show at all, which I often find when they revisit something Years Later. Possibly in response to the unresolved nature of the seasons, it did feel like it went a bit too far out of its way to tie up most loose ends (albeit I didn't rewatch the series beforehand to know if anything was left). Right down to the slightly OTT piano montage. Still, the actors fell straight back into it, although slightly disappointing it was more Bullock than Lovejoy. Really glad they bought Calamity Jane back too and gave her some sort of purpose / closure, although I couldn't remember much about her relationship with Joanie. On the newly arrived young girl, did I miss something with her in terms of a wider connection to the story? Hearst plays a great villain too as unfettered capitalism - the actor doesn't seem to have aged ethereal.

Sebastian Cobb

I haven't watched it yet, because I'm rattling through the tv series again before I do. I'm about half way through series 2, which I guess makes me half way through the lot.

It'll have been 10 years since I watched it. I'd forgotten so much, like how much of a greasy little shit E.B. Farnum was and how cool The Doc and Charlie Utter were.

Neomod

I enjoyed a revisit to one of my favourite shows although I do wish Garret Dillahunt had made an appearance as yet another new character.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Neomod on June 01, 2019, 07:22:43 PM
I enjoyed a revisit to one of my favourite shows although I do wish Garret Dillahunt had made an appearance as yet another new character.

Look closer!

Old Nehamkin

Old Nehamkin

Now where's my Luck movie?

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Waking Life on June 01, 2019, 01:40:57 PM
the newly arrived young girl, did I miss something with her in terms of a wider connection to the story?

Had to have a naked woman for Al to soliloquy at.

cliggg

Quote from: Dex Sawash on June 02, 2019, 03:18:56 AM
Had to have a naked woman for Al to soliloquy at.
Slight spoiler here but there was no nudity which was odd. Even a flashback scene from the series with nudity must have been re-shot to remove it. I wanted to see some boobs David Milch* you heathen cocksucker!!!

*Though he does have Alzheimer's so I forgive him instantly.

Attila

Any idea when this will be on DVD or rebroadcast on a non-Sky channel?

Dex Sawash

I didn't think it was great, been a while since I watched anything else where you had to fill in the blanks of stuff they don't tell you so maybe I missed a lot due to blank-filing-in atrophy. Flashback scenes awkward/unnecessary. Jane's denouement (don't know what that word really means) a bit on the nose.
Wish the African-American General hadn't been turned into Buckwheat.
This is the end of me shitting on Deadwood.
I loved every minute of it. Fuckin Wu.

wooders1978

Agreed - flashback scenes ruined it for me, very member berry - turned it off after 49 or so minutes

rasta-spouse

Not sure how I felt about this. Would have preferred a whole or even half season that took its time. And turns out I couldn't remember as much about the original series as I thought.

Also, I hope Wu brings his kid up right with the correct values as he seems a bit too Americanized.

selectivememory

(spoilers)

I think for a two-hour coda to the whole thing, it was about as good as we could have expected it to be. I would have preferred to see it play out over a few episodes, or even a full season, and a lot of the characters felt crowbarred into it (although at the same time, it reminded me of what an incredible ensemble cast this show had). Would like to have seen more of Merrick, E.B., Dan and Johnny, among others, and much less Alma, whose appearance in this was utterly pointless. But overall it was very satisfying and touching, and even more poignant knowing what we know now about David Milch's health.

George Hearst remains the ultimate TV bastard. Can't think of a more hateful character in anything. But actually, I don't think the death of Charlie felt anywhere near as upsetting as that of Ellsworth in the series. Again, probably the constraints of time meant the whole thing had to be abbreviated, but it seemed unlikely to me that Hearst would revert to murder almost immediately after his offer was turned down, and I think if that had had a bit more time to develop, Charlie's death would have had a greater impact. His funeral scene was very moving though.

Favourite line in the whole thing: "Wu, feed that fuck to the pigs". Nice to see Bullock fully embracing the Deadwood way of doing things, even as an official law enforcer.

Puce Moment

Well, this reinforces to me the whole problem of making third-acts engaging, and also satisfactorily resolving all the storylines which for me just becomes a chore. Even TV shows that I love have produced poopy final seasons or final shows.

To me, this felt like the final, feature length episode of a season that never got filmed, and to that end I found it quite disappointing. It did not have the momentum behind it to justify so many talky scenes. I also thought more time could have been spent really dealing with industrialisation and its effects on the community. The episode opened up with a thundering steam train, and there were nods to telecommunication, the idea of autocracies and a bit of Trump-fantasy revenge.

I loved the final shot - beautiful.

Bazooka

I liked it, it did feel like an extended episode rather than a feature length film, but I guess that was the aim. It had been some years since I saw the series last, so had forgotten some of the character arcs, but the pacing was very good.

Custard

Absolutely loved it. A bit too "neat" of an ending maybe, but fuck it, this show deserved it.

And I fucking welled up when Jewel started singing. Al's last line was perfect, too

Poobum

Loved it. I'd forgotten how theatrical it all was. Great dialogue performed by a great cast, all with such affection. And is there any other show that has so much quality balcony based action? I used to have a balcony but the only drama I ever got was a thirteen year old Italian boy being romantic at me, he's dead now.

I hope that's how Brad Dourif looks all the time.

timebug

Loved it! I had been told by a few folk who had seen it before me, that it was 'not much cop' or 'not up to the series standard' but it was just great to see the old characters again, and reach some sort of 'resolution'. Yes, Hearst is/was a total shit, but Ian McShane was his usual brilliant self as Al Swearengen, and it was great the way the town had grown and expamded. Subtle changes, but really good ones, given the years between the series and this film. Great stuff (IMO) and I will re-watch sometime when I feel like it!