Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,549,371
  • Total Topics: 106,172
  • Online Today: 659
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 04:44:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ferris Bueller: Cunt?

Started by BJBMK2, December 20, 2018, 02:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJBMK2

I mean, yes obviously.

But does the degree of cuntishness change the older you get? I mean, anyone watching the film at a young age, he's deffeintly in the category of "lovable rouge". A kind of fantasy wish figure, almost a Bugs Bunny type, outsmarting all the grown ups and Boring People, being cool and effortless and funny and charming and just all round brilliant.

That's when you watch FBDO in your teens or even early 20's. Flash forward a few years later (i.e today), and he just...comes off as a bit of a bellend. He uses and manipulates those around him, bullies Cameron into stealing his dads Ferrari, and generally comes off as a bit of a sociopathic tosser. The kind of attention seeking class clown you get in every office.

Some of you lot will probably be able to articulate this better then me. Essentially, does Ferris become less likeable the older you get, or was he ALWAYS less likeable?

Or maybe I'm just a boring old fart now.

Shit Good Nose

There was an almost identical thread about this several years ago and, from memory, it was revealed that there was quite a large number of people (outside of these blue walls) who had turned against the film in (then) recent years, for that very reason.

I still like the film, regardless.  And despite Matthew Broderick being a hit and run killer.

BJBMK2

Oh I still love the film, I'm watching it now (ironically, while skipping work), and it still holds up beautifully. Everything about it shines for me, except the title character.

Cameron's the  real star of the show.

St_Eddie

This topic of discussion is a fairly common one among film circles and I'd say that the answer is a resounding 'yes'.  Ferret Beluga definitely changes from being someone to aspire to and into someone you want to hit over the head with a very large brick, the older you get.  The only way to watch this film as an adult, is to adopt the popular theory that the impish Ferret is a figment of Cameron's warped and fever ridden psyche; a means to express his pent up frustrations, Fight Club style.

BlodwynPig

Ive met the guy and he's definitely a c*n***** now

Shit Good Nose

It's just a reflection of getting older though, isn't it, which is one of the reasons the film still works - when we're young kids we identify with the rebellious Ferris, desperate to bunk off school and enjoy ourselves with our friends instead, as we grow into older teenagers we then identify with Cameron and Ferris' sister, feeling like the whole world is against us and incredulous at any imposing of authority.  And then, as adults, we become Rooney(*) and Cameron's dad - bewildered at the kids being complete dumbasses and doing completely idiotic things.

(*) - the character, not the real life nonce he's played by

Phil_A

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 20, 2018, 03:18:16 PM
It's just a reflection of getting older though, isn't it, which is one of the reasons the film still works - when we're young kids we identify with the rebellious Ferris, desperate to bunk off school and enjoy ourselves with our friends instead, as we grow into older teenagers we then identify with Cameron and Ferris' sister, feeling like the whole world is against us and incredulous at any imposing of authority.  And then, as adults, we become Rooney(*) and Cameron's dad - bewildered at the kids being complete dumbasses and doing completely idiotic things.

(*) - the character, not the real life nonce he's played by

Cameron's dad who never appears in the film? Eh?

Honestly, anyone who think film Ferris is too much of a dick should try watching the horrible TV show, the smirking little shitbag they got for that Ferris will make you long for some hot Broderick action.

bgmnts

Aye Ferris is a bit of a cunt but, probably, a lot of that stems from envy.

Good film though.

Gulftastic

I think he has a bit of self awareness though. I like the scene where he talks down to the car park guy, asking 'Do you speak English?' to be met with 'What country do you think this is?'. His look to camera seems to at least suggest that his internal monologue is saying 'Yeah, that was a dickhead question.'

Thursday

Shit for cunts.

Like everything John Hughes directed.

Thursday

Don't think I've actually seen many of them all the way though.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Thursday on December 20, 2018, 06:13:03 PM
Shit for cunts.

The Breakfast Club is a genuine 80's classic, in my opinion, as is Planes, Trains and Automobiles.  I used to like Sixteen Candles as a kid but it's dated horribly (there's some horrific racism and rape culture stuff in there) and as such, retrospectively, I just can't enjoy that film anymore.  Uncle Buck is fun but ultimately quite forgettable.  I think that the best thing that John Hughes ever did was to write National Lampoon's Vacation.  His extensive and awful latter day career, comprised of blatant 'cashing-the-cheque' kids movies (for example, Flubber and Home Alone 3) was a sad way for him to bow out of this life.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Phil_A on December 20, 2018, 04:25:58 PM
Cameron's dad who never appears in the film? Eh?

Obviously I'm imagining his reaction to finding out his Ferrari (or whatever it is) has a few dents.

Glebe

[tag]Long-awaited sequel title "somewhat inappropriate."[/tag]

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I was 14 when I first watched this film, and hated Ferris immediately. I didn't find his antics amusing in the slightest as all I could think about was how awful it would be having a twat like that in your life.

madhair60

Quote from: Thursday on December 20, 2018, 06:13:03 PM
Shit for cunts.

PLANES TRAINS. PLANES TRAINS. PLANES. TRAINS. YOU CUNT.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: madhair60 on December 21, 2018, 08:23:59 AM
PLANES TRAINS. PLANES TRAINS. PLANES. TRAINS. YOU CUNT.

Don't forget Uncle Buck and Weird Science as well.

MuteBanana

What was it Charlie Sheen said to the sister? "Your problem isn't with Ferris, it's with yourself." Yeah think about that.

I seem to remember him justifying his manipulation of Cameron by suggesting it was good for him to rebel and cut loose every once in a while.

Shit Good Nose

A timely reminder that Alan Ruck was 30 when he played Cameron, and Ben "Bueller...Bueller" Stein was Nixon and Ford's chief speech writer before becoming an actor.

Icehaven

Obligatory mention that Bueller was originally meant to be played by Robert Downey Jnr. but he went too mad on drugs so it went to his rival for the affections of Horseface Jessica Parker. I do love the film but it would have been about 50 times better if RDJ had done it.

I suppose it's a bit like the Goonies and Breakfast Club and others in that if you didn't first watch them when you were a kid/in your teens, they'll never quite hold the same cache. I still enjoy Ferris but yeah if I'd never seen it and watched it now aged nearly 40 I'd probably find him hard to like. It's a bit like Catcher in the Rye in that respect, if you haven't read it by your early 20s you shouldn't bother. 

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: icehaven on December 21, 2018, 09:22:26 AM

I suppose it's a bit like the Goonies and Breakfast Club and others in that if you didn't firstwatch them when you were a kid/in your teens, they'll never quite hold the same cache.

I can vouch for that. I watched The Goonies for the first time when I was 41, and it struck me as nothing more than a passable Sunday afternoon kid's film. Spielberg by numbers.

I'm not so middle-aged and jaded that I can't enjoy a bit of entertaining escapism, but that film just isn't very good. It's okay at best.

buzby

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 20, 2018, 06:34:59 PM
Obviously I'm imagining his reaction to finding out his Ferrari (or whatever it is) has a few dents.
It was supposed to be a 1961 Ferrari 250GT California Spyder SWB.  In reality it was a replica called the Modena GT Spyder California, built on a tube frame chassis with a Ford V8 engine and fibreglass bodywork. Three were built for the film, two driveable ones (one was fitted with an automatic gearbox as Broderick couldn't drive a manual). and one rolling chassis that was used for the scene where it's destroyed. For close-ups, a real Ferrari was brought in to a soundstage to shoot inserts.

The main 'hero' car was sold back to Modena after filming (Chassis #3), was restored and sold for $407000 at auction in August. For comparison, a real 1961 250GT California sold for $17.16 million at auction in 2016.

Chollis

I saw this years ago.  The recurring use of Sigue-Sigue Sputnik's 'Shoot It Up' was welcome to me, as I have a soft spot for that track.  There was also a shrewd quote: 'You can't respect someone with their tongue up your backside.'

Chriddof

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on December 21, 2018, 12:54:56 PM
Sigue-Sigue Sputnik's 'Shoot It Up'

Do you mean "Love Missile F1-11", or did they have another song with that title / lyric?

Quote from: Chriddof on December 21, 2018, 10:03:29 PM
Do you mean "Love Missile F1-11", or did they have another song with that title / lyric?

Yes I do.  Just making sure you're all awake, of course.

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 20, 2018, 03:14:38 PM
Ive met the guy and he's definitely a c*n***** now

YOUR ALL BLOCKED

BlodwynPig

KennyMonster

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 20, 2018, 06:22:37 PM
The Breakfast Club is a genuine 80's classic, .................

Yeah, the way they 'solve' Ally Sheedy's character by making her conform as a soon to be Stepford Wife type so she'll be 'accepted' by the jock and therefore a worthwhile human.

Great stuff.

Classic.

kngen

Quote from: KennyMonster on January 06, 2019, 11:44:22 AM
Yeah, the way they 'solve' Ally Sheedy's character by making her conform as a soon to be Stepford Wife type so she'll be 'accepted' by the jock and therefore a worthwhile human.

Great stuff.

Classic.

Yeah, that bit always rankled. Also, I wanted Emilio Estevez to kick fuck out of Judd Nelson because he was Otto in Repo Man, therefore far more punk rock than that silly, bracelet-wearing poser. Not Hughes's intention, I'm sure.