Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:35:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ferris Bueller: Cunt?

Started by BJBMK2, December 20, 2018, 02:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 06, 2019, 09:58:07 AM
YOU'RE

Typical c*nadian

https://mobile.twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/644839854510067716/photo/1

To keep this relevant to the thread and avoid derailing - the character is a complete dickhead. Smarmy '80s cunt.

St_Eddie

Quote from: KennyMonster on January 06, 2019, 11:44:22 AM
Yeah, the way they 'solve' Ally Sheedy's character by making her conform as a soon to be Stepford Wife type so she'll be 'accepted' by the jock and therefore a worthwhile human.

Great stuff.

Classic.

Woke up, fell out of bed
Dragged a comb across my head

I don't appreciate the moral of that particular plot point either.  Nor do care for your aspersions, quite frankly.

Is The Breakfast Club dated as a movie?  Yes, absolutely.  Are some of the morals within said movie questionable?  No doubt.  Does that therefore, by extension, mean that I excuse and condone dubious moral behaviour and hate women?  Fuck, no!  Do I enjoy the movie regardless and feel comfortable sleeping at night?  You better believe I do.

My taste in entertainment does not reflect my political beliefs.

McChesney Duntz

This whole conversation is ridiculous and off the point. Everybody knows the real problem with The Breakfast Club is that four of them wind up paired up with one another, and the fifth... GETS TO WRITE THE PAPER? BASICALLY JUST DOES EVERYBODY'S FUCKING ASSIGNMENT FOR THEM? AND WE'RE SUPPOSED TO BUY THAT HE'S HAPPY ABOUT IT?

I was so pissed off about that that I eventually took my complaint right to the source: https://books.google.com/books?id=-tJPVDQ2ToUC&pg=PT94&lpg=PT94&dq=john+hughes+william+ham&source=bl&ots=XOCCf7c5-C&sig=6LGjcJhaL5f1KqHFGYDJNj0VKIc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi57YCd69rfAhXEj1QKHcw9B-gQ6AEwDXoECAIQAQ#v=onepage&q=john%20hughes%20william%20ham&f=false

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quick tip: you aren't being invited to like, idolise or agree with Ferris Bueller

St_Eddie

Please disregard my previous post.  It was needlessly defensive.  Whenever will I realise that alcohol and forums do not mix!

KennyMonster

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 07, 2019, 11:02:27 AM
Please disregard my previous post.  It was needlessly defensive.  Whenever will I realise that alcohol and forums do not mix!

That's OK, I'm probably too quick to find reasons to not like stuff sometimes, you know, the kind of decisions Smiths fans have to go through every time Morrisey opens his mouth.

gatchamandave

Wow, I just watched an episode of Orange is the New Black which discussed in passing a theory that Ferris doesn't exist but is a projected fantasy by a Cameron who never actually leaves his bedroom.

Just thought you might like to know that's out there as a fan theory.

St_Eddie

Quote from: gatchamandave on January 07, 2019, 08:52:10 PM
Wow, I just watched an episode of Orange is the New Black which discussed in passing a theory that Ferris doesn't exist but is a projected fantasy by a Cameron who never actually leaves his bedroom.

Just thought you might like to know that's out there as a fan theory.

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 20, 2018, 03:11:27 PM
...The only way to watch this film as an adult, is to adopt the popular theory that the impish Ferret is a figment of Cameron's warped and fever ridden psyche; a means to express his pent up frustrations, Fight Club style.

Icehaven

If everything apart from the scenes in Cameron's bedroom and the bit where he trashes the car are all in his imagination then that sort of works, but there's still too many parts that don't involve Cameron, Ferris or Sloane at all, all the stuff with Ferris' sister, and Mr. Rooney. Although I suppose as their hassles are a knock-on effect from being anti-Ferris it could be that Cameron's just adding lots of extra details to his fantasy of this Teflon righteous dude that everyone with any sense loves.

I'm overanalysing it now I think.

phantom_power

It is one of those theories that is nifty and all but doesn't hold up to even the slightest scrutiny and I imagine is created and spread by people who haven't seen the film in 20 years. There is a whole conversation between Sloane and Cameron when Ferris isn't around. How does that work?

gilbertharding

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 20, 2018, 03:02:31 PM

And despite Matthew Broderick being a hit and run killer.

Yeah - no. He very much didn't run, not least because he broke his leg, ribs, collapsed lung, concussion... you could argue that the justice system 'let him off' and you might wonder why, but there we are.

I like the classic John Hughes film, in spite of not seeing them until I was a bit older. I don't swallow them whole though - I see them as knockabout comedies with very nice photography and smart, quotable dialogue. Politically, of course, they're irredeemable, but a lot of nostalgia is.

Hey, Punk!

I just hate these kinds of films in general, I loathe everything I've seen from John Hughes. There seems to be a conspiracy in the Anglosphere to pretend that Home Alone and this are great.

Do not get it. At all.

gilbertharding

There's a 'conspiracy in the Anglosphere' to pretend that LOTS of things are great. This is the modern disease: everything must be superlative.

Home Alone, Ferris Bueller, etc are fine screwball comedies, with some pretty funny sequences and they evoke nostalgic feelings for lots of people who were young when they first saw them. They're fine.