Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:04:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hellboy (2019)

Started by surreal, December 20, 2018, 03:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

Couldn't find a previous thread for this but the Neil Marshall-directed reboot starring David Harbour (Stranger Things) has a first trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt5g5_1cKVk

Is it me or does that just look like a bad Pegg / Frost movie?  Really feels like they missed the tone - could be a bad trailer cut I guess but my hopes for this have plummeted.

kidsick5000

I'm hoping it's a bad trailer

Small Man Big Horse

After all the advanced press and quotes from the director I had high hopes that it would be better than Del Toro's efforts, but yeesh, that looks shit and then some.

mothman

It looks exactly the same. When I saw it I thought an old trailer to the GdT films had been linked to.

DukeDeMondo

My thoughts on the Hellboy films are that Hellboy II is really, really good and the first one isn't up to much at all.

This, I dunno. I like Neil Marshall well enough. I've had to accept that he's probably never going to make anything as good as The Descent ever again, but I think he's still more than capable of Decent.

We'll see.

They seem to have done alright far as Hellboy himself goes. That's a solid Hellboy, I think. Even though he sounds like he's about to deliver a desperately annoying two hour long "review" of Attack of the Clones every time he opens his mouth.

MuteBanana

Yeah some of those zingers are a bit shit.

St_Eddie

It has the air of a straight-to-DVD film about it.

Glebe

It does look surprizingly light in tone, given all the word about it being much darker and stuff. Still, I'm crossing my fingers...

Phil_A

Still, Big Mo and Lovejoy though.

Glebe

That looks awful. Well, maybe not awful but... repeating all the same mistakes that Del Toro's adaptations made.

The whole point of Hellboy is that all the ghosts, creatures and world-ending beings from the dawn of time act completely seriously, as do the BPRD and occultists who revere/combat them - it's Hellboy who is unaffected and flippant and resolutely blue-collar within this staid, wood-panelled, crumbling-castle-gothic world that makes the whole balance between humour and darkness work.

What the fuck was the point in banging on about it being closer in tone to the comics than the previous films?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on December 20, 2018, 05:37:27 PM
What the fuck was the point in banging on about it being closer in tone to the comics than the previous films?

It was just a hollow attempt to justify this new movie's existence and placate the fans who are pissed off about Del Toro's third installment being given the shaft.  In other words; the usual PR waffle.

Mister Six

Hopefully a good film that's had its trailer squeezed awkwardly into a Guardians of the Galaxy "classic song and big explosions" format rather than a properly bad flick.

The one-liners are shit and the lighting oddly flat, though, for a supposedly more accurate adaptation. Del Toro's effort might not have been what purists want but it certainly had character, which this appears to lack.

Still, Marshall's made more films I love than films I hate, and I'd like him to get his film career back on track, so I'm rooting for both this and him.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mister Six on December 20, 2018, 07:14:29 PM
Still, Marshall's made more films I love than films I hate, and I'd like him to get his film career back on track, so I'm rooting for both this and him.

I used to want Neil Marshall to make a Dog Soldiers 2 but I'm over that noooOOOOOOOWWWW.

Captain Crunch

Looks dull.  BUT top trivia, I got £30 out of this film.  I live near one of the locations and they paid us all £30 to move our cars round the corner for two days. 

olliebean

Quote from: Captain Crunch on December 20, 2018, 08:43:51 PM
Looks dull.  BUT top trivia, I got £30 out of this film.  I live near one of the locations and they paid us all £30 to move our cars round the corner for two days.

I bet you could have got £32 or £33 if you'd held out.

SavageHedgehog

It reminds me of The Amazing Spider-Man; much blander but fairly samey reboot with a few elements thrown as carrots for comic purists (organic web shooters and quips in AMS, gore here). I kind of liked Amazing Spider-Man though so maybe I'll enjoy this, but hardly seems like a good use of a blank slate.

colacentral

Looks awful. Hellboy sounds like he's about to fall asleep through the whole trailer; odd for a trailer to feel badly paced but that's what his awkward delivery does to it so heaven help the actual film.

The Hollywood blockbuster version of London / England is always weird and shite too. Does it always have to be posh cunts and cockneys beneath a murky grey filter? MIB 4 looks shite too and it's the same thing, and the worst Marvel film Thor 2; one of the worst Bond films The World is Not Enough has that long boring London sequence where it's all grey too.

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on December 20, 2018, 11:21:54 PM
It reminds me of The Amazing Spider-Man; much blander but fairly samey reboot with a few elements thrown as carrots for comic purists (organic web shooters and quips in AMS, gore here). I kind of liked Amazing Spider-Man though so maybe I'll enjoy this, but hardly seems like a good use of a blank slate.

That purple-lit boiler room scene brings Amazing Spider-Man to mind for me too; cheapo unnatural 90's esque lighting just like that film. Oh dear.

What's weird is that instead of an adaptation of its source material, it's instead a reboot of a film franchise that wasn't especially faithful to the comics in the first place. Clearly somewhere it's been decided by studios that Hellboy is an inherently "wacky" concept and as such has to have crap jokes and comedy action scenes.

It really does hammer home how perfect Perlman was for the part too. I thought David Harbour was a fine choice (lantern jaw, big build, gruff demeanour - check) when it was announced, but his performance seems so flat and mumble-mouthed in the trailer.

Hopefully this is just a trailer that highlights all the broader, commercial aspects of the film to try and get the masses to see it (it's funny, like those Marvel films you all turn out for!) but it does seem like a complete mess.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on December 21, 2018, 12:21:59 PM
...I thought David Harbour was a fine choice (lantern jaw, big build, gruff demeanour - check) when it was announced, but his performance seems so flat and mumble-mouthed in the trailer.

Yes, I noticed this too.  Either a case of the prosthetics not being as well done and accommodating to the actor beneath them, as they were on the Del Doro films, or David Harbour being unable to properly adept to the prosthetics in the same way that Ron Perlman was?  Either way, it sounds as award as all Hell(boy).

greenman

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on December 21, 2018, 12:21:59 PM
It really does hammer home how perfect Perlman was for the part too. I thought David Harbour was a fine choice (lantern jaw, big build, gruff demeanour - check) when it was announced, but his performance seems so flat and mumble-mouthed in the trailer.

Yep that stands out more than anything else to me, feels like remaking the Del Toro films without the central casting that made them work in the first place.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Red Hand Band trailer: www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-VSALNwE3E

I don't know. It's a bit better than the previous trailer, but I'm still not convinced. The swearing just seems gratuitous. I've got my fingers crossed that the film will be decent.

McShane seems awfully miscast as Professor Broom. Then again, one could say the same about Jeffrey Tambor as Manning in the earlier films.

On the subject of casting, I like Perlman and I guess he was a good fit for the films that Del Toro made but, as far as the comics go, I don't think he was actually the perfect choice that people always say. Del Toro says he fought against the studio's demands to cast Vin Diesel, but I reckon he could have done just as good a job.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 01, 2019, 03:55:42 PM
Red Hand Band trailer: www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-VSALNwE3E

David Harbour is having serious problems enunciating through his prosthetic make-up.  He sounds muffled.  Also, Hellboy's lips don't move properly when he talks.  Oh, and the CGI looks like arse.

That is all.

I don't get why he needs his lower face imprisoned in prosthetics anyway. Surely it's just his forehead that needs that while the rest could just be painted red.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 01, 2019, 04:13:01 PM
I don't get why he needs his lower face imprisoned in prosthetics anyway. Surely it's just his forehead that needs that while the rest could just be painted red.

That's what they did for Will Smith in Aladdin and it looks great.

He wouldn't be any better with his chin encased in immobile putty though, would he?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 01, 2019, 06:15:10 PM
He wouldn't be any better with his chin encased in immobile putty though, would he?

The thing is that it wasn't an issue for Ron Perlman in Del Toro's movies and he had a ton of prosthetic make-up on his face too, which leads me to believe that there's something about the specific prosthesis in this new movie which is inhibiting David Harbour ability to enunciate.

Glebe

Yeah, that trailer's a little bit of an improvement. What was the story with Billy Idol's 'Mony Mony' in the last trailer? Was it because Hellboy is 'mo(a)ny'?

Mister Six

Quote from: Glebe on March 01, 2019, 07:35:57 PM
Yeah, that trailer's a little bit of an improvement. What was the story with Billy Idol's 'Mony Mony' in the last trailer? Was it because Hellboy is 'mo(a)ny'?

Just reaching for a recognisable 70s rock song that Guardians of the Galaxy and Suicide Squad hadn't already got dibs on, I suppose.

New trailer leaves me as flat as the last. Looks like a load of clips from different levels of a videogame smoothed together - to real consistency of tone or style, although it's nice to see the chicken house in play. Shame they're pulling the trigger on the King Arthur stuff so quickly but I guess they don't want to risk leaving it unanswered like the last attempt at a trilogy did. New lad's not making much of an impression as Hellboy but maybe it's just the trailer.

Glebe