Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:17:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Clip from Talking Funny suddenly causes Twitter storm

Started by up_the_hampipe, December 23, 2018, 02:40:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

I enjoyed the comedy routine about the white guy pretending to not understand anything about the history of racism because he was desperate to use a naughty word, then making some insane biscuit analogy to cover up that desire. I'm not sure there's a lot of legs to that character, but I admire the effort.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 28, 2018, 02:49:27 PM
I enjoyed the comedy routine about the white guy pretending to not understand anything about the history of racism because he was desperate to use a naughty word, then making some insane biscuit analogy to cover up that desire. I'm not sure there's a lot of legs to that character, but I admire the effort.

I wasn't "desperate to use a naughty word".  Talk about missing the point.  You, on the other hand, are seemingly desperate to dredge up an issue which, as far as I'm concerned, has been resolved.  I've already conceded that, in some respects, I was in the wrong.  Why are you attempting to resurrect the past and provoke further arguments on the issue?  Do you have an agenda to cause unrest and ire?  If not, then I suggest that you let sleeping dogs lie.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 28, 2018, 06:09:20 AM
Not really. As I said before, the n-word was acceptable at a time when black people were treated abominably. Racists literally define the terms of racism.

The word wasn't the cause of racism, though.  I can think of many words whose power has been effectively stripped by becoming ubiquitous - "queer" is a decent example, the gay community outright co-opted it thereby stripping it of its derogatory origin.  Also the same way "cunt" is considered more offensive in the US than the UK - it's not that the word is any different, it's the attitude towards it.  With that in mind, is there any benefit to Americans being more offended/hurt by it than British people?

I don't think it'll ever be agreed upon, but I think there's always a good argument to be made for removing stigmas.  I don't think being offended by the utterance of a word regardless of context is beneficial or helpful to anyone, whatever the reasoning, and it seems that there may be more effective approaches than trying to wipe it off the face of the earth (and from history, in some cases).

Twed

Sebastian Cobb

Well quite, if you're doing things properly the only time you'd need to use the word is quotation or referencing its etymology in literature or something, and I get Lous' and David Cross' point that it's only non-racists that do the censoring in the first place, but christ it's not really your place to decide what's upsetting is it mate?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 28, 2018, 07:12:14 PM
Well quite, if you're doing things properly the only time you'd need to use the word is quotation or referencing its etymology in literature or something, and I get Lous' and David Cross' point that it's only non-racists that do the censoring in the first place, but christ it's not really your place to decide what's upsetting is it mate?

I'm not deciding anything, I don't think anyone does, but I do think there's a valid point to be made against stigmatizing words/language in and of itself, and that extends to far more than just racial epithets.

Several words that were once common in discussions about disability and mental illness no longer get used except by schoolground bullies so it is possible to eliminate offensive words if we care enough about the feelings of the victims.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on December 29, 2018, 01:43:29 AM
Several words that were once common in discussions about disability and mental illness no longer get used except by schoolground bullies so it is possible to eliminate offensive words if we care enough about the feelings of the victims.

Not really. I think it's fair enough to try to avoid using words that people find hurtful now, but even if they fade away through neglect, more will pop up. 'Retard' was originally meant to be the non-judgemental, scientific way to refer to people with mental disabilities. And that word itself replaced words like 'imbecile', 'cretin' etc that had previously been considered non-judgemental before soaking up distain through usage. 'Nice' originally meant something similar to what the word 'retard' means now, so it can go the other way too.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 28, 2018, 06:09:20 AM
Not really. As I said before, the n-word was acceptable at a time when black people were treated abominably. Racists literally define the terms of racism.

Yeah. And though there was a time when I felt that sunlight was the best disinfectant, i.e., saying these words robs of them of their power, etc, I also realized that I'm white and not affected by the n-word at all, so maybe it's not up to me.

Golden E. Pump

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 28, 2018, 07:03:08 PM
The word wasn't the cause of racism, though.

I didn't say it was. I was arguing with your idea that because a word is accepted by the majority, it robs it of the power to wound the minority it refers to.

QuoteI can think of many words whose power has been effectively stripped by becoming ubiquitous - "queer" is a decent example,

No, it isn't. It's still threatening when uttered by bigots.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on December 29, 2018, 01:43:29 AM

As someone who suffers from mental illness, to a noticeable degree, I've been called everything from a "retard" to a "s*****c", on multiple occasions throughout my life (both as a child and as an adult).  I detest those words being used as an insult against people such as myself (or as an insult in general).  However, that still doesn't mean that I want people to refer to them as "the R word" and "the S word" because, in my opinion, that would be counterproductive, as well as somewhat condescending and it's not the words themselves that are the issue, it's the context.

I'm not particularly using that as an analogy to 'the N word' because I don't care to go back down into that rabbit hole but rather, I felt that I could respond to your particular example of offensive words in relation to mental health, seeming as I've been directly affected by them.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 29, 2018, 02:14:55 PM
As someone who suffers from mental illness, to a noticeable degree, I've been called everything from a "retard" to a "s*****c", on multiple occasions throughout my life (both as a child and as an adult).  I detest those words being used as an insult against people such as myself (or as an insult in general).  However, that still doesn't mean that I want people to refer to them as "the R word" and "the S word" because, in my opinion, that would be counterproductive, as well as somewhat condescending and it's not the words themselves that are the issue, it's the context.

I'm not particularly using that as an analogy to 'the N word' because I don't care to go back down into that rabbit hole but rather, I felt that I could respond to your particular example of offensive words in relation to mental health, seeming as I've been directly affected by them.

Okay. I don't really know what to think about that, except to say that I wouldn't use those words and I wouldn't use the euphemisms either if they caused upset here.

My gripe with you upthread is that the n-word has been discussed many times before on these boards, once specifically at the instigation of a poster who finds it (but not the euphemism) threatening, and your response was to talk about 'kindergarten'. I appreciate that you have since given some thought to this and relented, in which case I apologise for calling you an arsehole.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 29, 2018, 05:06:26 PM
Okay. I don't really know what to think about that, except to say that I wouldn't use those words and I wouldn't use the euphemisms either if they caused upset here.

As someone whom is affected by such words, I should care to point out that those who say "oh, you can't express an opinion about the use of 'the N word' because you're white", should therefore, conversely be willing to say "oh, you suffer from mental health issues, so therefore, your opinion on slurs directed at people with mental health issues are more valid".

You see, I don't personally feel that my opinion has more validity, simply because I'm affected by mental health issues.  Everyone has a voice and I'd care to hear those voices, even if I don't personally agree with them.  I don't care for the way that certain opinions (my own included) have been shutdown because we are not personally affected by said insults.

Everyone has a voice and everyone is entitled to an opinion.  One doesn't have to agree with that opinion but equally, that doesn't warrant personal insults made against one's character, simply because you disagree.  I'd sooner take the road of polite discourse.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 29, 2018, 05:06:26 PM
My gripe with you upthread is that the n-word has been discussed many times before on these boards, once specifically at the instigation of a poster who finds it (but not the euphemism) threatening, and your response was to talk about 'kindergarten'. I appreciate that you have since given some thought to this and relented, in which case I apologise for calling you an arsehole.

Okay.  Not much more to be said really.  I agree.

Sin Agog

So I just caught wind of an actual podcast called Dark Tank, in which assorted h'white people give their pitches to solve racism to a black panel. https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/dark-tank-yedoye-travis-yaQ35nXBfmK/

How's about we all sashay on over there and get solving!

St_Eddie

Mark Steels Stockbroker

I think we should refer to Hard Brexiters as "plastics". When they challenge this, explain it is shorthand for "plastic patriot" and what's wrong with free speech you got a problem with that suck it up snowflake. Simples.

St_Eddie