Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:19:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Clip from Talking Funny suddenly causes Twitter storm

Started by up_the_hampipe, December 23, 2018, 02:40:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: St_Eddie on December 23, 2018, 02:20:28 PM
I wasn't trying to be funny.  I was expressing an opinion.  If that doesn't meet your approval, then I shall duly commit harikari.

I'm just saying, coming onto a comedy forum and humorously repeating the premise of a well-known comedy bit to a bunch of comedy nerds is a great way to look silly, but seeing as you don't care about looking silly and are committed to saying words for your own gratification rather than communicating anything, I'll stand aside and leave you be.

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 23, 2018, 10:20:05 AM
All I know, is that saying "the N word" is utterly ridiculous.  Just say n**ger, for pity's sake.  It's all dependent on context.  For example; people who use the word n**ger as an insult towards black people are massive fucking cunts.  "Oh no, I just said the word 'n**ger', even though I was being derogatory towards racism.  Oh, woe is me.".

We're not in kindergarten.  Simply saying 'n**ger' doesn't automatically make you a racist.  There's no need to be saying "the N word", like a scared little child.  We're all adults.  Or at least I hope that we are.

A white man, there.

Funcrusher

St_Eddie

Quote from: Weeping Prophet on December 23, 2018, 02:51:08 PM
I'm just saying, coming onto a comedy forum and humorously repeating the premise of a well-known comedy bit to a bunch of comedy nerds is a great way to look silly, but seeing as you don't care about looking silly and are committed to saying words for your own gratification rather than communicating anything, I'll stand aside and leave you be.

Once again; I've never seen that Louis CK bit and I wasn't attempting to be funny.  As for looking silly; damn straight.

Quote from: madhair60 on December 23, 2018, 03:50:53 PM
A white man, there.

Guilty as charged.

Thursday

See it's just this whole discussion is a repeat of a repeat of a repeat. It's so wearying even for me, so I can't even imagine what it's like for the black posters on CaB. We know what the counterpoints to what your whole thing there is. We know your counter-arguments to that and the counter-counter arguments and so on. So just fucking why? Have you really not seen this exact thread several times before? I mean fucking hell, just what's going on?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Thursday on December 23, 2018, 04:03:25 PM
Have you really not seen this exact thread several times before?

I genuinely haven't.  It must have passed me by.

I'm going to die on this hill, aren't I?  Truly, I'm my own worst enemy.

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 23, 2018, 02:49:22 PM
So if I demand that people not say the word 'biscuit' because I had a McVitie's related tragedy as a child, does that means that everyone must oblige and say "the B word"?

Okay, admittedly that's not really comparable, so how about if I were to say that I find the word 'poof' offensive, does that mean that people must stop saying it?  Magicians will be fucked, mate.

going to cut this post into lines and snort it

Cuellar

Funcrusher

Chris Rock is a straight black cunt. Louis CK is a straight Latinx cunt.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Cuellar on December 23, 2018, 04:48:13 PM
Straight white cunts

Great band name.

Quote from: Funcrusher on December 23, 2018, 04:54:57 PM
Latinx cunt.

Alright band name.

Quote from: Funcrusher on December 23, 2018, 04:54:57 PM
Chris Rock is a straight black cunt.

Awful band name.

lankyguy95

Can't wait for Twitter to watch the first ten minutes of Delirious.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 23, 2018, 02:49:22 PM
So if I demand that people not say the word 'biscuit' because I had a McVitie's related tragedy as a child, does that means that everyone must oblige and say "the B word"?

What?

QuoteOkay, admittedly that's not really comparable, so how about if I were to say that I find the word 'poof' offensive, does that mean that people must stop saying it?  Magicians will be fucked, mate.

As a straight person who was bullied at school by people who used that word at me, I wish you wouldn't. I don't feel threatened by the written word but the kind of people that say it in real life still make me tense.

For the poster in question, the written word does make them tense. They seem like a nice person and I don't feel that exercising my freeze peach is important enough to risk upsetting them, particularly when they've been pretty cool about the subject.

By the way, your attempts at humour on this subject aren't landing.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: lankyguy95 on December 23, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
Can't wait for Twitter to watch the first ten minutes of Delirious.

When Eddie Murphy gets announced for a return to stand-up, or a big movie role, or some awards thing, they'll dig it out.

Sin Agog

One day, when we collectively rediscover empathy, we'll rifle through these shamers' cunty, crowd-baiting old posts and...do nothing, because people change.

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 23, 2018, 05:16:22 PMBy the way, your attempts at humour on this subject aren't landing.

Even more awful band name.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 23, 2018, 05:25:25 PM
One day, when we collectively rediscover empathy, we'll rifle through these shamers' cunty, crowd-baiting old posts and...do nothing, because people change.

I hope you're right because I don't think we've reached the nadir of unpleasantness in this country yet.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 23, 2018, 05:16:22 PM
What?

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 23, 2018, 05:16:22 PMAs a straight person who was bullied at school by people who used that word at me, I wish you wouldn't. I don't feel threatened by the written word but the kind of people that say it in real life still make me tense.

Don't get me wrong; I abhor homophobia and would never use the word 'poof' as an insult.  However, simply saying the word 'poof' isn't an insult, in of itself.  Unless you consider magicians to be raging homophobes.  I can, for example, say "I hate people who use the word poof as an insult against gay people".  It would be childish to say "the P word" and if anything, it gives the actual word itself more power because it makes it taboo.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 23, 2018, 05:16:22 PMFor the poster in question, the written word does make them tense. They seem like a nice person and I don't feel that exercising my freeze peach is important enough to risk upsetting them, particularly when they've been pretty cool about the subject.

That's cool.  You know this person, I don't.  You do you and I'll do me.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 23, 2018, 05:16:22 PMBy the way, your attempts at humour on this subject aren't landing.

I never professed to be a comedic genius.

chveik

Large Noise

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 23, 2018, 05:48:05 PM
It would be childish to say "the P word" and if anything, it gives the actual word itself more power because it makes it taboo.

This is unassailable. You need to get the word out to more people.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 23, 2018, 05:48:05 PM

What?

QuoteDon't get me wrong; I abhor homophobia and would never use the word 'poof' as an insult.  However, simply saying the word 'poof' isn't an insult, in of itself.  Unless you consider magicians to be raging homophobes.

Allow me to introduce you to the world of homophones. Mindblowing, huh? Faggot is a homophone too. The n-word isn't.

QuoteI can, for example, say "I hate people who use the word poof as an insult against gay people".  It would be childish to say "the P word" and if anything, it gives the actual word itself more power because it makes it taboo.

Even if the very people you think you're defending plead with you not to use it. Great friend.

QuoteThat's cool.  You know this person, I don't.

You know them.

QuoteYou do you and I'll do me.

Fine. I've tried to be nice about this. It turns out I'm not mistaken and you are an insensitive arsehole.

QuoteI never professed to be a comedic genius.

Yeah. It's far worse than that.

St_Eddie

Quote from: chveik on December 23, 2018, 05:51:08 PM
What could be a McVities related tragedy?

You mean to say that you've never heard of the Great Digestive Massacre of '79?

Quote from: madhair60 on December 23, 2018, 05:56:06 PM
This is unassailable. You need to get the word out to more people.

Me. A megaphone. Two black eyes.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 23, 2018, 06:06:02 PM
What?

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 23, 2018, 06:06:02 PMAllow me to introduce you to the world of homophones. Mindblowing, huh?

Yes, absolutely mind-blowing.  Consider my tiny little mind well and truly blown.  I'm like Adam Bomb from the Garbage Pail Kids, over here.  In other news; sarcasm breeds sarcasm.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 23, 2018, 06:06:02 PM
Even if the very people you think you're defending plead with you not to use it. Great friend.

Which friend are we talking about?  Who's pleaded with me not to use that word?  This is all very hypothetical, I must say.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 23, 2018, 06:06:02 PMYou know them.

What a twist!

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 23, 2018, 06:06:02 PMFine. I've tried to be nice about this. It turns out I'm not mistaken and you are an insensitive arsehole.

No need to start slinging insults.  That is not how one partakes in a debate, at least not if one hopes to alter the opinion of the person whom they are debating with.  Also, please can you not use the word "arsehole".  "The A word", please.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 23, 2018, 06:06:02 PMYeah. It's far worse than that.

Everyone's a critic.

Johnny Yesno

By the way Eddie, you might want to consider that back when the n-word was associated with extreme prejudice and violence, it wasn't a taboo word.

Quote from: St_Eddie on December 23, 2018, 06:22:10 PM
No need to start slinging insults.

Oh, the irony.

Cloud

Quote from: chveik on December 23, 2018, 05:51:08 PM
What could be a McVities related tragedy?

A lost dunk.  Half of that wonderful biscuit now turning into mush at the bottom of your tea :(

St_Eddie

up_the_hampipe

Thoughts on renaming this thread to "St_Eddie vs. The World"?

St_Eddie

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on December 23, 2018, 06:30:05 PM
Thoughts on renaming this thread to "St_Eddie vs. The World"?

Worst sequel to Scott Pilgrim ever.

McVities stolen from their home countries, used as slave labour, frequently raped and abused by their captors, and now live with a legacy of structural oppression and inequality that lasts even beyond their ostensible emancipation, the word 'biscuit' serving as a chilling reminder of a bloody and brutal history and how worthless they were once considered to be by the country they live in

MuteBanana

phantom_power

Context is important but then so is unintended consequences so I don't understand why someone would bother risking offending someone by using a word which they admit doesn't really mean that much to them and others can be used, even one as slightly have-your-cake-and-eat it as "the n word".

CK's routine works as just that, a comedy routine. It is funny and all and makes you think a bit but as something to live by in everyday life?  Why not just not? It isn't like it is shaving off the corners of the English language or "you can't say anything any more without offending someone". It is an abhorrent word with a terrible past and is still currently used in the main by racists and cunts