Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:28:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Beavis and Butthead

Started by MortSahlFan, December 23, 2018, 05:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

Any fans? I especially love when they watch videos, usually poking fun in a smart way.. "Why is he doing that?" (something pompous or phony). I think it's easily the best thing Mike Judge has done.

MuteBanana

I remember watching them that the only bits I liked were their commentaries on music videos. That was all I liked about them. Loved the film though and I bought Love Rollercoaster.

Edit  - And I enjoyed their Hock a loogie game. A lotta fun.

Lemming

"We're gonna be talking about the PENIS! We'll be talking about the VAGINA! DO YOU THINK THAT'S FUNNY, BUTTHEAD? DO YOU FIND IT AMUSING THAT WE'LL BE TALKING ABOUT THE TESTICLES?"

It probably is the funniest thing Mike Judge has done. King of the Hill is outstanding and can be genuinely emotional and meaningful, but episodes of Beavis and Butthead like "Nose Bleed", "Choke", "Rabies Scare" and "Steamroller" all have more laughs in under 10 minutes than whole episodes of KotH.

chveik

MuteBanana

Quote from: Lemming on December 23, 2018, 05:57:36 PM
"We're gonna be talking about the PENIS! We'll be talking about the VAGINA! DO YOU THINK THAT'S FUNNY, BUTTHEAD? DO YOU FIND IT AMUSING THAT WE'LL BE TALKING ABOUT THE TESTICLES?"

It probably is the funniest thing Mike Judge has done. King of the Hill is outstanding and can be genuinely emotional and meaningful, but episodes of Beavis and Butthead like "Nose Bleed", "Choke", "Rabies Scare" and "Steamroller" all have more laughs in under 10 minutes than whole episodes of KotH.

Was that Daria?

Lemming

Quote from: MuteBanana on December 23, 2018, 06:06:26 PM
Was that Daria?

In the class? Yeah, she's originally from Beavis and Butthead, but she's only in the first couple series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-YUwNlb-tY

Malcy

Quote from: MuteBanana on December 23, 2018, 05:47:26 PM
I remember watching them that the only bits I liked were their commentaries on music videos. That was all I liked about them. Loved the film though and I bought Love Rollercoaster.

Edit  - And I enjoyed their Hock a loogie game. A lotta fun.

'Look it's a squirrel'!

Many a jumper neck ruined by doing impressions. I hated the RHCP version of 'Love Rollercoaster'. With a passion! I have the LL Cool J single from the film somewhere.

Someone brought the tape of the film into primary school to watch one Xmas. It was ages before the teacher realised we were a bit too young to be watching it!

Never enjoyed the music video stuff. Mainly because I didn't like the majority of the videos they played

Small Man Big Horse

I do like the show a lot but I still think King of the Hill, Tales From The Tourbus and Silicon Valley are better. Maybe not funnier, but I enjoy watching them more. Though I'm a massive fan of Judge in general and the only thing I didn't get on with was The Goode Family.

Malcy

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 23, 2018, 06:31:00 PM
I do like the show a lot but I still think King of the Hill, Tales From The Tourbus and Silicon Valley are better. Maybe not funnier, but I enjoy watching them more. Though I'm a massive fan of Judge in general and the only thing I didn't get on with was The Goode Family.

Didn't know Silicone Valley was a Judge show.

Has anyone seen Extract? I think it's great. The weed scene is hilarious.

non capisco

I think I've said it before on here but I stand by it, "I am The Great Cornholio! You will cooperate with my bunghole!" might be the finest line of dialogue in cinematic history.

St_Eddie

I like all of Mike Judge's output, Beavis and Butthead included but for my money, Office Space is his finest work.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I remember one episode where they were watching a Morrissey video, and Butthead said something like "Why are British people whining all the time?", which is a fair question, then he did a reasonably accurate impression of Moz.

a duncandisorderly

when it first aired in europe, early 1993, a lot of my Mtv colleagues were appalled & outraged at the crudity of the humour, & couldn't grasp the point of the show at all.
the turning point for most of us was the episode where the boys are chanting (at daria) "diarrhea cha-cha-cha! diarrhea cha-cha-cha!"; for some reason it all clicked then.
they were us, all of us, but especially those of us exposed to many hours of Mtv's output every day, whether this was (as in our case) because we worked there, or simply because it was instant gratification short-attention-span telly.

the parts where they're MST3King various videos, sometimes joining in with them to mock them (ween's "push the little daisies" being a favourite) or just metal-hornsing their approval of (e.g.) lemmy, those were the best parts, & were later cut up out of the show & used as interstitials (links) in their own right.

one of my most prized possessions is a 'cornholio' coffee mug, given to me by a now-deceased creative director after I fixed something in his office. I still miss this guy terribly, especially this time of year when his most famous work, the video for 'fairytale of new york' by the pogues, is on heavy rotation. cheers, peter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-VQTNM__hw

popcorn

Even though it's so crude - in humour and production values - something about Beavis and Butthead is cosy. It's gentle and sympathetic. It's almost a mood piece. And like so much of Judge's stuff it has a real affection for banal suburbia and the plight of the common man.

chveik

I tend to skip the clip commentaries now (it's difficult to stand all the shit 90s music), but I still love the little universe that Judge has created, it has aged pretty well.

famethrowa

In the midst of all the 90s grunge and slacker cynicism, seeing the boys' love for our very own Les Tosseurs is quite heartwarming:

https://youtu.be/qQOI8NyFiEA

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

fucking ponderous

I think the film is probably the best TV to cinema transfer ever. My friend once had to recite a monologue of his choice for an acting class and I tried to convince him to learn Beavis's "we're never gonna score" soliloquy.

non capisco

"It's the flying skull again! That flying skull rules!"
"Yeah. It ought to fly away and go into a video that doesn't suck."

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Stigmatatata from Lake Titicaca!

non capisco

Dave Gahan from Depeche Mode writhing about and staring into the camera.

"He's looking at you, Beavis."

Dropshadow

In one of the episodes they were watching an Edie Brickell music video (wife of Paul Simon) and Butthead said "She married that little guy who was in the Beatles", or something like that. I remember laughing an awful lot at that.

Twed

I always liked the MC 900 ft. Jesus video for classic dumbness. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urD-YMrGiCk

B&B also introduced me to Ween.

anonymousguy

Quote from: Lemming on December 23, 2018, 05:57:36 PM

Absolutely love this episode. About once every couple of years, apropros of nothing, myself or my brother will suddenly remember that particular scene and start quoting it, and we'll crack up again like it was the first time we ever saw it.

"OK, time for roll call! Buttkiss!"
"here, ehehehehe"
"Gaylord! Highman!"

Having said that, agree fully with SMBH. Beavis & Butthead was always consistently funnier, but King of the Hill has more depth and heart and general watchability to it.

Blumf

samadriel

Quote from: non capisco on December 24, 2018, 12:11:09 AM
Dave Gahan from Depeche Mode writhing about and staring into the camera.

"He's looking at you, Beavis."

I love the one for 'I Alone' by Live.

"He's looking at you, Beavis.  He's like... 'I like what I see.'"

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: famethrowa on December 23, 2018, 09:56:00 PM
In the midst of all the 90s grunge and slacker cynicism, seeing the boys' love for our very own Les Tosseurs is quite heartwarming:

https://youtu.be/qQOI8NyFiEA

Aw , that's great ! They even do The Dance to it !

dex

Not only were the video "reviews" comedy, but as a youngster watching these episodes in the 90's got me on to some good bands -normally the types MTV wouldn't bother with.

Office Space as said before probably Judge's best work but that's not to say there was no gold with BnB. Come to Butt-head uh-huh-huh-huh-huh.