Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:58:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Beavis and Butthead

Started by MortSahlFan, December 23, 2018, 05:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phes

From the episode when Clinton visits the school and against all staff attempts to keep B&B under wraps, he crowns them students of the year

Beavis grabs the microphone: testes, testes, one, two... three?

Brundle-Fly

Quick question. Did the States have many music video stations like MTV? I only ask because the boys are able to regularly flip channels to view another pop promo with great ease. Surely MTV would want to discourage their "This sucks, change it!" mentality?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 29, 2018, 01:02:14 PM
Quick question. Did the States have many music video stations like MTV? I only ask because the boys are able to regularly flip channels to view another pop promo with great ease. Surely MTV would want to discourage their "This sucks, change it!" mentality?

How would MTV be able to control that kind of behaviour, anymore than the BBC can stop me from switching over from their news programme to Channel 4's news programme?

Twed

The point is that the BBC don't say "this sucks, watch Sky News".

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twed on December 29, 2018, 02:52:15 PM
The point is that the BBC don't say "this sucks, watch Sky News".

Ah, okay.  I missed the gist of the question.

colacentral

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 27, 2018, 07:55:42 PM
Breakin' the law, breakin' the law!

Loved the show. Have most of the eps on VHS somewhere in the attic. Bought loads of merch at the time too.

This book had a TV remote that had SFX quotes from the show.

A personal fave moment.

Chas Smash - foreign exchange student!
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3vbzxm

I owned that book with the remote and used to annoy the fuck out of everyone with it. Took it to school all the time.

It's a travesty that the music videos aren't all available and integrated into the episodes on the DVDs. It's tougher to watch the actual stories for an extended period without anything breaking them up, and likewise for the music videos being watched on a playlist all together. It helps to stay engaged with both when the rhythm and style of jokes see-saws a bit.

One line that always sticks with me is from a Metallica video when Butthead says "Lars looks like the Cowardly Lion." He says it in such a withering way, and it's so unexpected, I remember laughing really hard at that the first time I heard it.

alan nagsworth

Yeah, the music videos are the best bit. The MST3K element of humour coupled with being a genuine big influence on the music taste of the viewers helped break up the rest of the episodes, which, whilst being a lot of fun, often become trudging when you're watching several in a row, which is how the DVD collection presents itself.

That being said, as popcorn said at the start of the thread, the episodes in themselves do certainly work as bizarre mood pieces. It's kind of like a very primitive It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, where you find yourself consistently entertained by a show essentially just revolving around people who are assholes. It's surprisingly inventive and easy to watch.

There's also something in the sound design and animation that is at times very grotesque or unsettling, like whenever Mr. Van Driessen ends up getting injured. There's an episode where he tries to stand from sitting cross-legged on his desk and falls horribly onto his face which I always found hilariously grim, especially coupled with the complete indifference of the class.

My favourite parts of the show are whenever B&B are on the cusp of being taught something (usually by Tom Anderson) and they invariably disregard it because something in the sentence sounded vaguely like a rude word:

Tom: Luckily I've got homeowner's insurance.

Butt-Head: You've got what?
___

Sergeant: Do you boys know what a quota is?

Butt-Head: Uhh, you mean like, twenty-five cents?
___

Beavis: I had this weird dream. I met this St. Peter dude...

Butt-Head: Huh-huh, St. who?

Beavis: Peter. Heh-heh. Oh yeah.
___

Tom Anderson: You know, it's like the story of the two frogs who fell in a pan of boiling milk. One of 'em said "I'm done for", and he gave up and died. The other one started flappin' his little froggy arms, flappin' his arms, flappin' his arms, 'til finally, he was standing on a big chunk of cheese.

Butt-Head: Whoa! We gotta try that!

Beavis: Yeah! Got any milk?

St_Eddie

My torrent o' B&B is now at 20%.  Good times a-coming, baby.  Good times a-coming.

Fascinating, I know.

madhair60

Huh huh. You said "coming". Huh huh huh.

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on December 30, 2018, 04:20:04 PM
Huh huh. You said "coming". Huh huh huh.

Huh huh.  Like shut up, dude.  I said "a-coming", dillweed.

billyandthecloneasaurus

madhair60

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 29, 2018, 01:02:14 PM

No. The only other one around at the time was VH1 (which wouldn't have played most of the videos they watched anyway). I think most of the hour-long standalone music video shows, which certainly proliferated throughout the 80s, were long gone by then as well. Chalk it up to artistic license, buttmunch.