Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:09:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best intro to a film ever?

Started by bgmnts, December 24, 2018, 12:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

I am sure we will have a quite a few suggestions. The Godfather maybe, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Fight Club etc.

I'd give a big nod to the Dawn of the Dead Remake though. It has possibly the best opening credits sequence in film for me. Shat me right up as a nipper. The use of Johnny Cash's When the Man Comes Around is sublime.  https://youtu.be/dTYNwwPQH4k
I think Zack Snyder did this exact same thing for Watchmen but it works much better in this film.

Gimme your favourites.

Dex Sawash

Sin Agog

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 24, 2018, 01:11:33 PM
Taxi

I know bgmnts is a little hard up, but you shouldn't just assume you've pulled because you happened to post in his thread.

kalowski

For sheer overblown brilliance: Once Upon a Time in the West.

magval

If I can have Return of the Jedi, up until they get out the desert, I'd take that. I adore every beat of that whole section, only it lasts 35 minutes or so, so maybe isn't an 'opening' so much as an opening act.

Once Upon A Time in the West too, yes. Good call.

Icehaven

Midnight Cowboy (1969). Can't find it from the very beginning (with the Western film sounds and the blank drive-in screen) on YT probably because most of them have cut to nearer where Everybody's Talkin' starts but the whole intro is so good, even includes the first time Joe nearly gets run over.

Custard

Mad Max: Fury Road's opening scene set up the film very nicely. Weird bald mutants chasing after Tom Hardy

Cuntbeaks

Head - Once Porpoise Song ends you are completely at its mercy. Providing you're on psychedelics of course.

chveik

Lemming

Commando. Bennett is ON THE BOAT when he blows it up, presumably to fake his own death??? He's on the boat. It shows a shot of him driving the boat, then INSTANTLY cuts to the boat exploding. What the fuck? It's the best film ever.

mothman

kalowski

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Replies From View

The first 17 minutes of Gravity is a pretty thrilling sequence.

biggytitbo

The first 5 minutes of 'Backdoor nun fuck cum orgy 3' is absolutely excellent, in fact I usually turn off after that as it doesn't get any better imo.

magval

Quote from: Lemming on December 24, 2018, 10:53:00 PM
Commando. Bennett is ON THE BOAT when he blows it up, presumably to fake his own death??? He's on the boat. It shows a shot of him driving the boat, then INSTANTLY cuts to the boat exploding. What the fuck? It's the best film ever.

I love the crash zoom on Arnold when he checks his watch not long after escaping the plane. It is indeed a very funny and excellent film.

Captain Crunch

The delivery of this line:

QuoteI would like, if I may, to take you on a strange journey.

Perfection.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The Cate Blanchett prologue in LOTR is monumental and the best set up to any film or anything of any kind I have seen.

https://youtu.be/BjJvOm94W5U

surreal

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 25, 2018, 03:07:49 PM
The Cate Blanchett prologue in LOTR is monumental and the best set up to any film or anything of any kind I have seen.

Agreed, really puts everything right in front of you - here's where we are, here's who's involved, here's what's at stake.  After that, as long as you go along with the whole fantasy premise, you're already engrossed.

greenman

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 25, 2018, 03:07:49 PM

All the more impressive when you consider it was a bit of a last minute bodge job throw together with a lot of random shots.

Ivan's Childhood with the idyllic opening and then the journey though no mans land is some of Tarkovsky's best visuals in his first 3-4 mins.

Small Man Big Horse

Suicide Club - It's an absolutely shocking opening to the film, and one which you'll never forget.

gatchamandave

Touch of Evil, just incredibly well choreographed

kalowski

Quote from: gatchamandave on December 27, 2018, 07:52:01 PM
Touch of Evil, just incredibly well choreographed
And also The Player, which is an homage.

Spiteface

Gokaiger Goseiger Super Sentai 199 Hero Great Battle
The Legendary War.

Thirty-four teams of rangers coming together in one epic scrap.

surreal

I'm not sure why but I've always loved the Donnie Darko opening, him waking up on the road and cycling back home with Killing Moon playing - this is the original release, not the Director's Cut which changed the soundtrack for the worse imho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXhle_5BBRU

greenman

That film being a happy accident is surely highlighted by the original choice being INXS, only used killing moon because he couldn't get the rights to the former.

Icehaven

Quote from: surreal on December 28, 2018, 10:13:49 AM
I'm not sure why but I've always loved the Donnie Darko opening, him waking up on the road and cycling back home with Killing Moon playing - this is the original release, not the Director's Cut which changed the soundtrack for the worse imho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXhle_5BBRU

Fuck yes, great example.

Bazooka

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 27, 2018, 05:26:00 PM
Suicide Club - It's an absolutely shocking opening to the film, and one which you'll never forget.

Its been some years since I watched, yes what a visceral opening.

greenman

Quote from: magval on December 24, 2018, 05:56:47 PM
If I can have Return of the Jedi, up until they get out the desert, I'd take that. I adore every beat of that whole section, only it lasts 35 minutes or so, so maybe isn't an 'opening' so much as an opening act.

A mark of quality I spose that I always think of that section as being much longer taking up close to half the film when really its closer to a quarter. This and the space battle plus Luke/Vader I think makes the argument that stuff like Revenge of the Sith of the Force Awakens as being "better than Jedi" pretty laughable.

Always loved the take on the Godfather and the start of Millers Crossing, manages to both setup the plot and all of the key players in it whilst still being entertaining, "so take your flunky and dangle".

Twit 2