Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:42:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Best intro to a film ever?

Started by bgmnts, December 24, 2018, 12:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magval

Quote from: greenman on December 29, 2018, 08:30:17 AM
A mark of quality I spose that I always think of that section as being much longer taking up close to half the film when really its closer to a quarter. This and the space battle plus Luke/Vader I think makes the argument that stuff like Revenge of the Sith of the Force Awakens as being "better than Jedi" pretty laughable.

Always loved the take on the Godfather and the start of Millers Crossing, manages to both setup the plot and all of the key players in it whilst still being entertaining, "so take your flunky and dangle".

I doubt any of Return of the Jedi's vocal detractors were as bothered by Ewoks when they first watched the film as children as they profess to be as adults.

I love the opening of Miller's Crossing as well but have failed to get "the hi-hat" over as common parlance around the office.

studpuppet

Stop getting the best opening credits wrong!

The Hunger - Deneuve and Bowie looking their best plus a soundtrack integrated into the opening. Can't find a longer version, but right up to the bit where they murder the two youngsters it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZiPhX-SZ88

kalowski

Quote from: greenman on December 29, 2018, 08:30:17 AM
A mark of quality I spose that I always think of that section as being much longer taking up close to half the film when really its closer to a quarter. This and the space battle plus Luke/Vader I think makes the argument that stuff like Revenge of the Sith of the Force Awakens as being "better than Jedi" pretty laughable.
I have no trust in people who claim to not like RotJ. Worth it just for the Luke/Vader battle alone, let alone the whole Jabba section. Add to that Lando and Nien Numb in the Falcon, and it's a cracker. And I like the Ewoks.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: studpuppet on December 29, 2018, 01:06:07 PM
Stop getting the best opening credits wrong!

The Hunger - Deneuve and Bowie looking their best plus a soundtrack integrated into the opening. Can't find a longer version, but right up to the bit where they murder the two youngsters it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZiPhX-SZ88

Just watched that again the other night, and yeah yeah yeah - Tony Scott pretty much peaked in the first five minutes of his directorial career.

Moribunderast

The opening sequence of The Villainess was very memorable and gets the film off to a frantic start.

Always loved the opening to South Korean classic, Mother, as well.

greenman

Quote from: magval on December 29, 2018, 12:10:27 PM
I love the opening of Miller's Crossing as well but have failed to get "the hi-hat" over as common parlance around the office.

I was never quite sure whether that ment high hat as top hat as in someone thinking their higher class than someone else of hi hat in terms of a drum kit with "ba dumb tish" style jokes made at someones expense.

Brundle-Fly