Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:00:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A review of your gaming year - 2018

Started by Kelvin, December 24, 2018, 05:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Imagine if you'd just got that Switch, mate.

My review of my year in gaming is I spent way too much time and way too much money playing games and reading and writing about games this year and while I'm going to continue to play games, the time has come to stop fixating on games as escapism because my work is stressful. Yes, this is my annual flounce. See you round. You've been great company.

Twed

Blue Jam

Damn, who am I going to use for game recommendations now? I'll need to find someone else with the exact opposite taste so I can buy all the games they tell me are crap and end up really enjoying them.

Quote from: ASFTSN on December 28, 2018, 08:23:24 PM
Take the opposite of whatever The Boston Crab's said in this subforum and that's my year in gaming prolly

Yes Bosto, we need you. Now I'll just have to buy everything Biggy says is good (and Biggy, still needs to get Mooncrash)

magval

Played very little this year - think this was the year I transitioned out of being a 'gamer' into someone who very occasionally played games. This is a list of everything I finished since the start of January (though it includes games started before then, and games from years ago).

Super Mario Odyssey - Loved it, though like the Wii U one, I didn't finish it 100%. Came close, but a few of those last moons just tested my patience too much. I was either a better gamer in 2010 when Galaxy 2 came out, or I had fewer other things I wanted to do, but that completist mentality has left me. This game has provided me with some great, fond memories though. Brilliant soundtrack and all. A fucking fantastic experience.

Resident Evil VII - Played it in one sitting on a January Sunday. Great first half, awful second half. If I hadn't watched people play it on Youtube when it first came out I imagine that first half would have been one of the best gaming experiences of my life. Can only imagine how great the VR is. Still, a game to never return to.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD - Bought this in something like 2015, so it was on my Wii U for a LONG time. Holds up well enough - a pleasant mix of nostalgia and the weirdly nice realisation that it's not as good as you remember but that you don't care. Goes on a dungeon or two too long, as well. Again, great music here.

God Of War - Loved in when I was playing it (even though the kid in it is emblematic of everything that's wrong with what I understand are called Triple A games), but I seem to be trying, subconsciously, to reframe the experience to one of hatred. I can say one thing - it looked lovely, but it wasn't FUN. Got to settle on side of the originals (pre-Ascension), really.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. Amongst my most-played games ever. Nothing new to say, but it holds up perfectly for me. Wouldn't change a fucking thing about it.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. Had to buy a new converter to get this to run on my SCART-less TV over Wii, but was determined to reappraise this title, which I hated the last time I played it in 2012. It's not as bad as I remember but the video choreography is dreadful. Otherwise, soulless but harmless.

Spider-Man. Someone on here said it better than I could - Arkham in New York. Loved every minute I spent with this, caught my first Platinum trophy in years swinging around cleaning up districts while listening to Trouble Man by Marvin Gaye.

Also started (but didn't finish) Ultimate Spider-Man on Gamecube, Horizon Zero Dawn (gorgeous, but just like the kid in GOW has that fucking unbearable American speech problem, like a character using the word "cranky") and Red Dead Redemption 2 (which I'll likely play in January).

Looking forward to Resident Evil 2 next month, and hope to play the original again in advance of that. Not sure there's anything else out in 2019 that I'm anticipating really.

The Culture Bunker

I did just have a run through "Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes" again, to remind myself how much I liked it and MGSV, despite the fact the latter is basically unfinished*. Something of a shame it's pretty much over now, but everything has to end eventually, I guess. I'd run through MGS1/2/3/4 in order again, if I could be arsed to get my PS1/2 to work on my modern telly.

*though I never did enjoy the stunt casting of Kiefer Sutherland.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 29, 2018, 04:00:39 PM
Damn, who am I going to use for game recommendations now? I'll need to find someone else with the exact opposite taste so I can buy all the games they tell me are crap and end up really enjoying them.

Yes Bosto, we need you. Now I'll just have to buy everything Biggy says is good (and Biggy, still needs to get Mooncrash)

I have it! And played some but then got distracted by prey itself, then assassins creed unity (vasty underrated) then assassin's creed origins, far cry 5, then the ps4 which has eaten all my gaming time since I got it. But yeah if we like the same sort of games then I'd definetly say you'd like origins, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman, Arkham Knight and Uncharted 4. I'm sure you must have played all 3 dishonored games already, but they're all brilliant, and if you haven't already I'd heartily recommend watchdogs 2.

Currently playing homefront: the revolution, which now its all patched up is quite a nice little game, a mix of far cry, half life 2 and deus ex. It's not the greatest game ever made or anything but it's surprisingly underrated, probably because it was so broken when it was first released. Only cost £4 from cex too.

Blue Jam

Damn, I really need to get myself a PS4... Might pickup Homefront though now it's on sale here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/homefront-the-revolution/brglm9v090gw?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Cheers Biggy!

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 29, 2018, 10:49:44 PM
Damn, I really need to get myself a PS4... Might pickup Homefront though now it's on sale here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/homefront-the-revolution/brglm9v090gw?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Cheers Biggy!
I paid £3 for a second hand copy of that. Got bored in a hour.

Timothy

How many hours did you play Witcher before you quit? One of the best games ever made imo.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Timothy on December 29, 2018, 11:31:24 PM
How many hours did you play Witcher before you quit? One of the best games ever made imo.
About ten. Found it tedious beyond words, frankly.

Timothy

Did you get to and finished the Baron quest?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Timothy on December 29, 2018, 11:39:38 PM
Did you get to and finished the Baron quest?
I don't honestly remember. I deleted it off the PS4 and out of my mind. I'm sure it's all fab and great for many, but I just remember it being an absolute drudge.

Them sort of games with swords and such silliness generally aren't for me, but I did enjoy the Dragon Age series so thought I'd give this Witcher a go after many recommendations. Nope. Didn't give a toss about the boring old tosser I had to play as or the crappy world he lived in.

Though it was quite amusing how some people got very impassioned about how I was "wrong".

wooders1978

Well you are wrong but everyone's entitled to an opinion ;)

So it would seem Spider-Man is next up game wise for me - loved the Arkham games (yes even enjoyed the last one!!)

Thursday

Timothy

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 29, 2018, 11:53:32 PM
I don't honestly remember. I deleted it off the PS4 and out of my mind. I'm sure it's all fab and great for many, but I just remember it being an absolute drudge.

Them sort of games with swords and such silliness generally aren't for me, but I did enjoy the Dragon Age series so thought I'd give this Witcher a go after many recommendations. Nope. Didn't give a toss about the boring old tosser I had to play as or the crappy world he lived in.

Though it was quite amusing how some people got very impassioned about how I was "wrong".

To each their own but cant honestly understand why you liked Dragon Age and disliked Witcher.

kalowski

I've found Witcher 3 fairly dull. On the other hand, just played the first hour of God of War. I cannot believe how good it looks. I love it so far.

Blue Jam

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 29, 2018, 11:53:32 PMThem sort of games with swords and such silliness generally aren't for me, but I did enjoy the Dragon Age series so thought I'd give this Witcher a go after many recommendations. Nope. Didn't give a toss about the boring old tosser I had to play as or the crappy world he lived in.

TBH I have the same problem with fantasy settings in all media- wizards, dragons, spells ect just leave me cold. For games I prefer space/sci-fi settings, probably because a spaceship or abandoned laboratory is more fun to explore than a forest or a castle. Plus with combat I would just rather have a big gun (or a big laser) than a sword or staff.

Blue Jam

Just ordered a new 49" telly and tempted to wait until it arrives before I start RDR2. I think 2019 will be a better gaming year for me simply because I will no longer have a telly that flickers and has a couple of bleedy bits on the screen.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 30, 2018, 11:20:15 AM
TBH I have the same problem with fantasy settings in all media- wizards, dragons, spells ect just leave me cold. For games I prefer space/sci-fi settings, probably because a spaceship or abandoned laboratory is more fun to explore than a forest or a castle. Plus with combat I would just rather have a big gun (or a big laser) than a sword or staff.
I've very much the same. The Dragon Age series is an exception as it had a tone I found myself getting into (more than much to do with gameplay), plus I liked seeing my small choices play out over the games.

The PS4 in general has been, for me, a bit of a let down compared to the last generation. There's been plenty of games that have been fine, enjoyable, but I think the only one that really drew me in to the level I would be up till 3am on a worknight saying "five more minutes" was XCOM2.

Kelvin

Holy fuck. I had no idea this post would end up so stupidly long. No-one will read it all now, so maybe just browse it for games you haven't heard of, or haven't read my thoughts on before? 

Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Easily my game of the year, which is hardly surprising considering it's basically just the greatest iteration of my second favourite gaming series, with all the modes and characters I've dreamed about now finally included. The World of Light single player is a boring grind, but ended up passably entertaining while listening to podcasts, and everything else is basically as good or better than ever before.

Dark Souls: Remastered
This list isn't in any particular order, but this and Smash are comfortably my favourite two games of the year. Beautifully crafted, and not actually anywhere near as hard as I had expected, the only real issue I had with it was how needlessly vague it was about it's core mechanics at the beginning. After reading up on the basics, I found the game an absolute pleasure to play through - and in fact did so three and a half times. 

Nintendo Entertainment Service Online
Despite thinking a lot of these games haven't aged very well, I've actually enjoyed grinding my way through loads of them with save states, and in a couple of instances I've found them to be much, much better than I expected or remembered. The original Zelda is much more fun than I expected, for example, and was particularly informative after playing it's spiritual sequel Breath of the Wild so much last year. The recently released Ninja Gaiden remains every bit as brilliant as I remembered, too.

Toy Stunt Bike: Tip Tops Trials Demo
I'd never normally include a demo in this list, but my best friend's 4 year old loved "the monkey game" so much that it has to get a shout out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB6wk_iSIPk 

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
Insanely faithful tribute to the NES Castlevania games. Multiple characters allowing for multiple paths, and a range of different endings that make the short game length ideal for multiple, varied playthroughs. I absolutely loved this at the time, but I have to admit, it does feel a tiny bit slow (like the original Castlevania games) when I go back to it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfiCEoKkjz0

Fortnight
Not for me, I've never been any good at online shooters. I can totally see the appeal, though.

Nidhogg

Local (and online) multiplayer indie game that I had seen and loved in various let's plays last year, and which finally came to switch a month or two ago. One of those games, like Smash and Mario Kart, which results in everyone screaming and shouting at one another, and is easy for anyone to learn. Hard to explain without watching it being played, so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_AcRT5TeYU

To be honest, I was slightly disappointed, though. Not with the game, which was exactly what I had seen and expected, but just with the fact that it's only really fun with larger groups of people all taking turns, as it gets rather boring with only two of you going at it over and over again. A strong recommendation for anyone whose got a family to play with or a large group of gamer friends.

Warframe
Played it a couple of times, but didn't like the movement, and felt like it would be a real grind. Confusing/overwhelming number of options, too. 

Celeste
Loved it for the first two thirds; great music, likable characters, really strong platforming gameplay. I just found some of the later levels a bit of a drag, and the plot ended up as a patronising bucket of platitudes.   

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Loved the story, music and several of the characters, but the game was clearly rushed out, and both it's visuals and gameplay suffered as a result. Lot's of highlights, though, and when you nail one of the insane combos and pull off some crazy string of special attacks that deal 6,000,000 damage, it's exceedingly satisfying. A tough recommendation, but a game which I loved despite it's countless problems.     

Wolfenstein 2
Ugly on Switch, but lots of fun to play at the time, and contains a couple of moments that could possibly top a list of "maddest things you've ever seen in a video game".

Megaman: Legacy Collection 1
The first six megaman games, now with save states and rewind options. Great, obviously, but hard to play back to back, when they're all so fundamentally similar. 

SteamWorld Dig
Another game which I absolutely loved at the time, but which fell at the last hurdle, in retrospect. Incredibly satisfying and addictive loop of digging through the world to uncover new areas, materials and upgrades, plus a likeable cast of cartoon robots. I just felt like it ended too suddenly (and unexpectedly), and that kind of killed my incentive to 100% or replay it. Still a strong recommendation, though. 

Hollow Knight
Probably the indie game that left the biggest, most positive impression on me - despite me finding it a real slog for much of the time I was playing it. Lots of lots of backtracking (even for a metroidvania), but arguably the most beautiful art style I've ever seen in a 2D game, and an immersive and compelling world to explore. It's difficult, too, but like all the best hard games, that difficulty leads to constant improvement and real a satisfaction when you finally beat your opponents. Another game with amazing music and sound design, too.   

Sine Mora
I think I bought this in 2018, but can't actually be certain. Anyway, it's a really good bullet hell shmup, with lovely visuals and a wierdly bleak storyline, co-created by Suda 51. Uses time mechanics in interesting ways, but is probably a bit too hard on anything other than normal.       

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4cADAv-CU8

Ikaruga
Another, even harder bullet hell shooter. Best bit about it was downloading and watching Boston Crab's incredibly impressive runs through the first level. I ended up playing through it a few times with infinite lives on.   

Oxenfree
Bit disappointing, really. Visually interesting, lots of atmosphere and a good story, but I don't think the core mechanic of selecting dialogue options works well enough. I frequently found my character delivered lines in totally different ways than I had expected, thereby changing their meaning and relationships unintentionally.

Zelda: BOTW
I wouldn't have included this game, but I had such a wonderful experience helping my 11 year old niece play through it over summer, that I had to give it a shout out. Went from her asking me for improvised missions and dressing up the horses in my game, to starting her own game and playing through it from beginning to end with me sat beside her the whole time. Magical, really, and I still think it might be my favourite game ever. 

bgmnts

In the end of year sales bought Shadow of War, Vampyr, Assassins Creed Origins and Assassins Creed Odyssey and fuuuuck me Assassins creed is abysmal. I cannot believe i spunked 45 quid on those two. Definitely shouldn't have bought any of them anyway but thats why i'm fucked so fuck it.

Still though, at least Vampyr and Shadow of War actually offer something. Who in God's name does Assassins Creed appeal to anymore?

Timothy

Have you tried both?
Origins is quite bad. Dont ler you put that off Odyssey.
Odyssey was great!

bgmnts

Quote from: Timothy on January 01, 2019, 12:46:52 PM
Have you tried both?
Origins is quite bad. Dont ler you put that off Odyssey.
Odyssey was great!

I played Odyssey immefiately after and as soon as I was lobbed straight into a fight and mashing the RB button I uninstalled.

Timothy

You miss out on quite a lot if you quit after four minutes in what is basically a very basic tutorial.

bgmnts

Quote from: Timothy on January 01, 2019, 01:16:27 PM
You miss out on quite a lot if you quit after four minutes in what is basically a very basic tutorial.

Once i'm done with my other games and there's fuck all else to do i'll give it another crack then.

I don't want abysmal attempts at Dark Souls/Zelda combat in an assassins creed game at all. Fuck knows what they were thinking.

Timothy

Combat in Odyssey is miles and miles better then Zelda though.

I disliked the game for the first two hours but when it clicked it clicked. Ended up being one of my GOTY candidates. And I disliked most of all the other AC games.

Mister Six

Got Spider-Man for Christmas, and by golly it's damn near perfect. Absurd attention to detail, even in its mangled representation of Manhattan's topography. I even found the dog park I sometimes take my dog to! Alas, no dogs in the game...

Definitely getting the DLC though. Should I play it after the endgame?

Kelvin

Quote from: Mister Six on January 01, 2019, 01:26:05 PM
Got Spider-Man for Christmas, and by golly it's damn near perfect. Absurd attention to detail, even in its mangled representation of Manhattan's topography. I even found the dog park I sometimes take my dog to! Alas, no dogs in the game...

Definitely getting the DLC though. Should I play it after the endgame?

The DLC is set after the events of the main game, from what I've heard, so yes.

Mister Six