Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:19:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A review of your gaming year - 2018

Started by Kelvin, December 24, 2018, 05:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

I got this for a fiver in the Asda back in February. I only played a little bit before deciding that I should give the previous game a go first - which I've still yet to get around to. What little I played seemed good. I messed up the first mission and Peter Serafinowicz called me a "Fucking bellend."

Resident Evil Remake HD Edition

Another that I started and stopped. I should get back to it, as I was enjoying it (slight control issues aside). It still looks impressive in this day and age.

Horizon: Zero Dawn

A very generic open world game, perhaps. Fortunately, I've not played your Assassin's Creeds, or Far Cries, so I was free to enjoy it immensely. Robot hunting took a little while to get the hang of (especially as the level design wasn't always conducive to planning your encounters) but, once I did, I was hooked. Great story, too.

Hotline Miami 2

Pretty much an expansion pack for the first game, but I loved the first game so that's no bad thing.

Spider-Man

I've been looking forward to this for 14 years and it didn't disappoint. It takes the web slinging fun of the otherwise crap 2004 game and puts it into a game that's actually good. What room it leaves for improvement has me very excited for a sequel.

Wolfenstein 2

This, on the other hand, did disappoint some. The sci-fi stylings and wild plot developments had me hoping for something as fun and frenetic as Doom 4 - hopes that were dashed by the mopey tone and unsatisfying gunplay.

Onrush

When it comes to disappointment, however, this takes the cake, undercooks it, then decorates it with Marmite instead of icing. There's the makings of a great game in there somewhere, which only makes the final product all the more of a shame.

Drive Club

I got this after that. I'd say it's more successful at what it's aiming for than Onrush, but it turned out to be less of an arcade racer than I'd have liked. To its credit, I've enjoyed it more than previous driving sims I've tried. However...

Burnout Paradise

Was going cheap on the Playstation Store recently. An absolute classic of the genre, perhaps second only to Mario Kart in terms of racing fun.

Inside

Gameplay wise, this is pretty much identical to the developer's previous title,  Limbo, with a similarly bleak aesthetic. I found the story here a lot more compelling though. I expect I'll be trying to parse the details of the plot and its strange Orwellian world for some time.

Kelvin

You thought Wolfenstein 2 was mopey? I thought it was one of the laugh out loud funniest games I've played in years.

biggytitbo

Wasn't that 2017?

It's got probably the single biggest laugh in a video game ever, and is pretty audaciously outlandish throughout. I don't think the gameplay lived up to the story or the production though, something felt off with the level design and controls, and it doesn't have the same kind of variety or inventivness as the original. It's a kind of 7/10 game for me, where the first one is a good 9/10.

It's Blazcowicz, constantly acting the misery guts, making comments about how tired and dying he is. Complete tonal dissonance with the rest of the presentation.

Mister Six

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 01, 2019, 05:31:46 PM
Wasn't that 2017?

Quote from: Kelvin on December 24, 2018, 05:24:12 PM
We usually have a game of the year thread, but since a lot of us have predominantly played older games or re-releases (like Dark Souls on Switch), I thought I'd make it a bit more open ended this year.

Thursday

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 01, 2019, 05:58:22 PM
It's Blazcowicz, constantly acting the misery guts, making comments about how tired and dying he is. Complete tonal dissonance with the rest of the presentation.

This would be like the first game though, the tonal dissonance is very deliberate, I think.

BeardFaceMan

Got Wolfenstein 2 for crimbo, is it worth getting the season pass while its on sale?

Thursday

I didn't enjoy the game enough to buy it, It's fine but it's like a 9 for Story, 6 for gameplay... so under the circumstances I'd say wait to see what you think of the game. How much longer is it on sale for?

BeardFaceMan

Two days. Only played the first level so far but I really enjoyed the previous games so I may get it anyway if its going to be more of the same only more mental. I take its new levels to play, not just a load of new skins or whatever?

Timothy

The main game was great (although unfortunately not stealthy anymore) but the DLC was quite weak. Wouldnt recommend buying it.

bgmnts

Giving Odyssey another go. This switch to emphasis on combat is fucking dire. Pressing RB to attack is never ever fun.

I want to go around Ancient Greece stealthing, like a stealth, wot Assassins Creed is meant to be.

Fucksake.

Timothy

After an hour of two or so its possible and thats all I ever did until the credits rolled. Loved that game.

bgmnts

To be honest as soon as I saw the size of the map I instantly knew it was going to be a massive open world filled with a shit ton of monotous busy work. I should have known really, totally my fault.

I will go through it all because I paid for it but fuck this.

Timothy

It really isnt busywork though. All the yellow question marks are for the most part proper sidequests with good mini stories. Play them and you level up enough for the main quest.

madhair60

bgmnts

I'm quite enjoying Little Nightmares and Shadow of War.  Shadow of War is basically the same as the previous installment but its still really good fun.

Quote from: Thursday on January 01, 2019, 09:40:18 PM
This would be like the first game though, the tonal dissonance is very deliberate, I think.
Maybe so, but that doesn't mean it isn't kind of ploppy. It wouldn't bother me that much if the game didn't play so awkwardly, though. Since Goldeneye 64, I've played dozens of console shooters over the years and this is the first time I've really felt the aiming controls drag the experience down. Combine that with the underpowered (and mostly just plain boring ) selection of guns and I just didn't have much fun with this.

You could argue that a game about fighting the nazis shouldn't be fun, but not when it's about blinking robot nazis on the moon (I know the moon base was in the previous game, but the Venus level in this was pointless).

biggytitbo

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 29, 2018, 10:49:44 PM
Damn, I really need to get myself a PS4... Might pickup Homefront though now it's on sale here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/homefront-the-revolution/brglm9v090gw?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Cheers Biggy!

I've been playing this some more and I just found out there's an easter egg later in the game where you can play the entire first two levels of time splitters 2. Nice.

bgmnts

Okay so I playee a little Odyssey and i'm currently going through Origins. The decisions made by AAA game publishers baffle me at times.

The levelling is absolutely abysmal. To the point where even if you grind pointless, laborious side missions you will not level up enough to do the main story missions. Only a company like ubisoft would punish you for wanting to play the game.

It's almost as if they have deliberately made it a joyless grind so you will give up and maybe buy some microtransactions or DLC to improve your character and get on with it..m

No, fuck you Ubisoft, I won't indulge in your endless greed I am going to complete your shit for cunts game. It's basically the anti-Dark Souls.

If Odyssey is exactly the same i'll be gutted.

In lighter news, Vampyr, for all it's faults, is quite interesting.

I'm also wondering about this survival sim Impact Winter. Shall see how that progresses.

I can't think of a genuinely great big big game other than Deus Ex of the past 4 or 5 years.