Author Topic: Good films where nothing really happens  (Read 3019 times)

Re: Good films where nothing really happens
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2019, 01:58:42 AM »
Local Hero? Blokes come to town to muck about, big boss comes from the USA and decides to muck about as well. End.

Great film and I agree - nothing really does happen, but something is which makes it oneof the best movies ever. First time I watched it I didn’t know where it was going but it’s indescribable magic slowly immersed me and left a lasting impression. But I only really grasped the themes after I’d watched it and thought about the subtle nuances here and there. Only watching it again did I come to realise what made the film great.

Cerys

• Bionic-Arsed
  • Golden Member
  • Cyber Engineered Ravaged Yakking System
    • The Brainwrongs of Cerys
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2019, 04:19:11 AM »
Local Hero? Blokes come to town to muck about, big boss comes from the USA and decides to muck about as well. End.

They find an injured rabbit, also.

famethrowa

• mere rhetorical frippery
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2019, 04:26:12 AM »
Great film and I agree - nothing really does happen, but something is which makes it oneof the best movies ever. First time I watched it I didn’t know where it was going but it’s indescribable magic slowly immersed me and left a lasting impression. But I only really grasped the themes after I’d watched it and thought about the subtle nuances here and there. Only watching it again did I come to realise what made the film great.

True. Love films with no bad guys, and that music just propels it into the heavens.

They find an injured rabbit, also.

*sarcastic tone* we have an injured rabbit also

Blinder Data

• Use your library
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2019, 04:38:39 PM »
Jeanne Dielman, 23 Commerce Quay, 1080 Brussels

Virtually nothing happens, but every frame is pregnant with meaning.

I hope it's better than Je Tu Il Elle because I felt like scratching my eyes out after 10 minutes due to boredom. That really was a film where it felt like nothing was happening, to its detriment.

But it's a difficult concept to categorise - does it cut across threadbare plots and cinematography/editing? Because passive cinematography and long uncut takes might suggest nothing is really happening and there's no plot, when that's not really the case. Would Malick's films qualify?

Maybe The Death of Mr. Lazarescu is a good example. Old Romanian man becomes ill and attempts to get treated at hospital. Great film, 9/10
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 04:57:00 PM by Blinder Data »

neveragain

• like those swamp tar pits that bubble and go Gloop
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2019, 09:49:51 PM »
Fantastic film. I'd say one thing definitely happens but it takes up the whole running time.