Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:24:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Good films where nothing really happens

Started by billyandthecloneasaurus, December 24, 2018, 06:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattD

Quote from: famethrowa on December 24, 2018, 11:03:41 PM
Local Hero? Blokes come to town to muck about, big boss comes from the USA and decides to muck about as well. End.

Great film and I agree - nothing really does happen, but something is which makes it oneof the best movies ever. First time I watched it I didn't know where it was going but it's indescribable magic slowly immersed me and left a lasting impression. But I only really grasped the themes after I'd watched it and thought about the subtle nuances here and there. Only watching it again did I come to realise what made the film great.

Cerys

Quote from: famethrowa on December 24, 2018, 11:03:41 PM
Local Hero? Blokes come to town to muck about, big boss comes from the USA and decides to muck about as well. End.

They find an injured rabbit, also.

famethrowa

Quote from: MattD on January 08, 2019, 01:58:42 AM
Great film and I agree - nothing really does happen, but something is which makes it oneof the best movies ever. First time I watched it I didn't know where it was going but it's indescribable magic slowly immersed me and left a lasting impression. But I only really grasped the themes after I'd watched it and thought about the subtle nuances here and there. Only watching it again did I come to realise what made the film great.

True. Love films with no bad guys, and that music just propels it into the heavens.

Quote from: Cerys on January 08, 2019, 04:19:11 AM
They find an injured rabbit, also.

*sarcastic tone* we have an injured rabbit also

Blinder Data

Quote from: Howj Begg on January 06, 2019, 03:46:35 AM
Jeanne Dielman, 23 Commerce Quay, 1080 Brussels

Virtually nothing happens, but every frame is pregnant with meaning.

I hope it's better than Je Tu Il Elle because I felt like scratching my eyes out after 10 minutes due to boredom. That really was a film where it felt like nothing was happening, to its detriment.

But it's a difficult concept to categorise - does it cut across threadbare plots and cinematography/editing? Because passive cinematography and long uncut takes might suggest nothing is really happening and there's no plot, when that's not really the case. Would Malick's films qualify?

Maybe The Death of Mr. Lazarescu is a good example. Old Romanian man becomes ill and attempts to get treated at hospital. Great film, 9/10

neveragain

Fantastic film. I'd say one thing definitely happens but it takes up the whole running time.