Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:40:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Climax (new Gaspar Noé)

Started by zomgmouse, December 24, 2018, 11:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grassbath

Quote from: NoeI never thought I'd make a dance movie, but back in December I was invited to a vogueing ballroom in Paris and I was blown away by the energy there. Most of the people were either black or Arab, gay or lesbian, and the crowd was dancing in such a crazy way that I thought it was the best party I'd ever been to. So that was the starting point. Then I began looking for dancers...

Okay, so if it was so great and you had such a good time in this culturally diverse communal experience, why did you have to make the film about everyone at the party getting fucked up, aborting each others' babies and engaging in racially charged violence? Oh right, because you don't have any ideas.

McFlymo

I quite liked this.

Some spoilers below:

The descent into the horror was handled really well, them screaming at the girl to kill herself was believable and harrowing, her cutting herself, people becoming violent, sex, mania, writhing about a lot. The actors were amazing and I totally bought into their collective mental breakdown.

The dancing was exquisite!

I wonder what happened to Omar.

At the same time, I get the criticisms of Noe, his work contains such gratuitous bleakness, can't help feeling it is just to troll people which is a bit fucking childish as a motive, sensationalism for the sake of sensationalism, but like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I was just completely gripped and on edge the entire time. I can appreciate anyone's ability to create something that taps into your primal instincts and manages to hold the tension (and pace it so well) for so long. I certainly wasn't bored!

Zetetic

Quick update - this nonsense is still cheering me up no end.

Dr Syntax Head

I loved this film. I like pointless nihilism in my films and this was also visually beautiful to look at. The dancing was great too

thenoise

Quote from: grassbath on September 09, 2019, 07:22:47 PM

Okay, so if it was so great and you had such a good time in this culturally diverse communal experience, why did you have to make the film about everyone at the party getting fucked up, aborting each others' babies and engaging in racially charged violence? Oh right, because you don't have any ideas.

Haha, would be far better 'troll' at this point if he made a life-affirming film about diverse and dedicated dancers forgetting their differences and letting themselves go in a fun crazy party. Somebody spikes the drink but 'nothing really happens'.

Adding a load of ultraviolence to keep us all awake actually shows quite a lack of confidence, at this stage. He is playing to his fans.