Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:54:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ellen Degeneres - Relatable

Started by dirkgonnadirk, December 26, 2018, 12:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirkgonnadirk

Disclaimer:

- I watched this while drinking whiskey on Christmas Day.
- I was sat on a new sofa watching my brand spanking new huge TV and sound system.
- I like Ellen.

Anyway, I think it's pretty good. She's fun to watch and has always had great timing. There's one really great bit about medication.

The reason I made this thread is because there's two bits in there that are super duper similar to bits Michael Mcintyre (man drawer / trying on shoes). I doubt Ellen knows who Michael Mcintyre is, I doubt (?) she has writers, and it seems reasonable for two people to independently come up with these bits. But it really jumped out.

Uncle TechTip

There's every chance she bought the routine off him - in fact wasn't it McIntyre who was found to be buying other people's material and airing it to great success?

And with your Netflix and so on it's not so unusual to think she might well have stumbled on his show.

Small Man Big Horse

I half watched this the other day when my partner had it on in the background, it made me laugh a few times but I got bored about two thirds of the way through and zoned out.

Ferris

It was very polished US-style standup. It had its moments, but I found I could see the "joins" in the material between each section, so I think writers and buying material were deffo involved, with a bit of retroactive stitching done after the fact. She'd close out an idea with a list of three things that are supposedly similar "punchline, noun that doesn't really fit into routine, topper" and you know the next thing she'll do is go "actually, talking about [noun that didn't really fit the previous routine]" and that'll be the jumping off point for a new section about that specific item.

It felt weird and artificial if you watch comedy a lot. If you're a cynical fucker like me, that stuff sticks out. If you're watching it to enjoy comedy like a normal person then it's alright.

Mrs Ferris liked it and it even managed a few chuckles out of me which is rare enough. It's not aimed at me though, and that's fine - not everything needs to be aimed at me.

Ellen seems a nice sort though doesn't she? I want to give her the benefit of the doubt every time.

up_the_hampipe

Ellen is not nice. It's a public facade that everyone buys, there's plenty of stories of her being quite rotten to people. She's also not remotely funny and her show is the corny pap.

So, probably won't check this out.

Twed

Quote from: dirkgonnadirk on December 26, 2018, 12:48:54 PMThere's one really great bit about medication.

I wonder which drug industry monster sponsored her.

up_the_hampipe

St_Eddie

Seems to be quite a bit of plastic surgery when you compare her face with the 90s version.

Kelvin

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on December 26, 2018, 11:55:28 PM
Seems to be quite a bit of plastic surgery when you compare her face with the 90s version.

So?

Fair question. Entirely my prejudice.

madhair60