Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:43:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone here subscribe to the Gittins Patreon?

Started by Ringside, December 26, 2018, 04:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New_WriterD

Quote from: wooders1978 on April 08, 2020, 05:09:45 PM
Me too - unlucky in love is Steve

Catchphrase wankers appearing in the chat already with choccy pud pud amongst others tho

Lots of people in the chat trying to get a laugh out of Cumbo..... cringeworthy most of it.

DrGreggles

Really liked him doing Gittins playing 'Farming Simulator' as a serial killer. 

DrGreggles

In addition to his twice-weekly globe trots (Wednesday and Sunday, 19:30), David Edwards is also watching classic sports moments on Saturdays at the same time:
https://www.twitch.tv/davidedwardstravels

Also, on Mondays and Fridays at 20:15, Brian Gittins is trying to win the cricket world cup:
https://www.twitch.tv/davidearlhello

DrGreggles

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but David Edwards is doing a live commentary on a Gittins pod on Saturday nights.
They are astonishing. https://www.twitch.tv/davidedwardstravels/videos?filter=archives&sort=time

BritishHobo

Fucking hell I have so much stuff to catch up on. Between this, Boldsworth's output, and the live WallerFM streams, I have hours and hours of stuff piling up. Behind on Gossipmongers too.

DrGreggles

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 27, 2020, 10:55:23 PM
Fucking hell I have so much stuff to catch up on. Between this, Boldsworth's output, and the live WallerFM streams, I have hours and hours of stuff piling up. Behind on Gossipmongers too.

The last 3 podcast commentaries have had the pod guest turn up in the chat box. For a while.
I think these are the funniest things I've watched during lockdown - but I've no idea why.

DrGreggles

DrGreggles

David Earl suggested the idea of no one commenting on Dave Edwards' stream on Saturday - initially for the opening 10 minutes.
It lasted longer, then all hell let loose!
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/725327069

SteveDave

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on September 14, 2020, 11:54:28 AM
They've sacked Poppy from Gossipmongers. Bizarre.

https://twitter.com/poppyhillstead/status/1305453760081285120?s=21

She was removed from their Twitter header a while ago but no-one said anything.

The biggest revelation is that there was
Spoiler alert
no window?
[close]

frajer

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on September 14, 2020, 11:54:28 AM
They've sacked Poppy from Gossipmongers. Bizarre.

https://twitter.com/poppyhillstead/status/1305453760081285120?s=21

Wow, that seems incredibly shitty. She was great and any "inexperience" on her part lent itself to the pod perfectly. I love Gossipmongers but fuck me it's not exactly a polished machine.

I'm a subscriber to the Gittins Patreon and at the time when Gossipmongers was announced as being moved to its own Patreon "organised by Joe", something seemed quite off about it.

Understandably people in the comments were asking whether all the Gossipmonger content would be removed, and where new content would be available, and the responses were very off-the-cuff. Don't know what's happened but didn't come across as if it was planned.

kitsofan34

Very dissapointed if this is true, I've become oddly fascinated by Earl's cricket streams and he seems like such a decent bloke.

Blinder Data

In the past few weeks I've been quite enjoying Gossipmongers for the first time. Poppy's disgusted "Oh my GOD" is always nice to hear, and her lack of polish makes up for the occasionally hammy behaviour and forced laughter of Wilkinson/Earl. Those two are both mates of Gervais so they're halfway to being wrong'uns in my books, anyway.

DrGreggles

Quote from: kitsofan34 on September 14, 2020, 12:54:07 PM
I've become oddly fascinated by Earl's cricket streams

Likewise - and I have no interest in cricket whatsoever.
Find them quite relaxing to have on in the background when working.

Crabwalk

Looks like After Life is no longer the most embarrassing thing they've been involved with.

Feel very sorry for Poppy. Going through that must've been absolutely awful. We'll hear the other side of it in due course I'm sure, but the fact they thought they could just plough on without referring to the change indicates that they didn't think this was a big deal and didn't anticipate a backlash.

DrGreggles

Is it now an Acast show rather than an independent production?
I wonder if that was something to do with it.

Crabwalk

Could be. Whether its a creative, commercial or personal decision, it's a massive own goal though.

That's my take, yeah. Shame really, but maybe they feel they're on the cusp of some real success with it, and it was either Poppy or Acast.

Reminds me of a band I joined the other year that had been close to being signed at one point, but they were told they had to sign their bassist because he was too fat. Ended up with a bloke that couldn't play (not me) and then a bloke that was a bit tubby (me).

Edited in light of his comments on Patreon.

batwings

That's a shame. I don't know if it's the lack of Poppy or them doing it via video conferencing or what but the more recent episodes have seemed a bit stale. Maybe it's run its course anyway? The only thing that's made me really laugh in S4 is the Centurians.

Josef K

Even just taking down the old episodes with her in seems particularly shitty.

Considering David's response was just to say "Fuck me, Twitter is more vile than I originally thought" and then delete his account, I won't hold my breath for a reasonable response.

Even if there was some valid reason for it all, you'd think they'd have a tiny bit of awareness about how hostile the industry is for women, with a long history of them being denied opportunities, so maybe they'd just...not do that. Or at the very least discuss it. I wish I subscribed to their patreon so I could cancel it in disgust

wooders1978

That sounds quite shitty on their behalf however clearly there is more to it, Joe and David do not seem like the sort that would just do this out the blue, though behind closed doors they may well be massive cunts

I liked her but overall I got bored of gossip mongers anyway and stopped listening after series 2, I'll check her new one out though

BritishHobo

It's so weird being a fan when shit like this happens. You wonder what you're meant to do. Feels a bit like rubbernecking at something you wish you hadn't, because now you have to pick a side.

Obviously proper harsh if they've done that. Especially since Poppy's been around since the Spreaker days and her great work there (she was always brilliant value, always able to add something to a show when no-one else was calling in, or, in the later episodes, when some of the newer callers were being self-important and annoying) meant when they started Gossipmongers with her, it was based on a pre-existing relationship with and awareness of her in the podcast medium - and they've since done three series with her. So it does seem odd.

Obviously there's always another side, which is where it's so odd being a fan. They're getting absolutely torn to shreds on Twitter but not sure whether they intend on putting out a statement of their own, or if they're just gonna try to ride it out. You want to hope they're not what the story makes them sound, but how can you know if they don't respond?

BritishHobo

I've been so neglectful of the overwhelming number of Patreon podcasts I'm stacking up that I didn't even realise Gossipmongers had gone to be its own page separate from Earl's.

I did refer to bits of the Patreon post above and feel a bit shitty about it all really. It's unlikely he saw it here I suppose, but it's hard to think that something referenced on Patreon will stay contained within that platform. I think there were screenshots circulating on Twitter which he might be referring to, but in case David does read this - I didn't realise reference to the posts off Patreon would be verboten, and I wasn't trying to stir the pot any - just referring to you having made a post elsewhere to address it somewhat.

Anyway, BritishHobo - you are right. The nature of these platforms (Twitter, not here) make everything look much more black and white, and in many ways it's about what information is out there - a matter of PR as much as anything else. Some things that in the past would have sat in the memory banks for a biography are now played out in real time. I read last night that Neil Gaiman and Amanda Palmer are back together after a very public falling out - which also involved Patreon, and which both would rather hadn't happened I imagine.

DrGreggles

Quote from: BritishHobo on September 14, 2020, 07:13:55 PM
You want to hope they're not what the story makes them sound, but how can you know if they don't respond?

David seemed genuinely shocked by all this on his stream tonight, especially the abuse he received on Twitter.

I don't believe that it went down as Poppy claims either, but it's pathetic that people think that David/Joe need to comment publicly just because one person (potentially with an axe to grind) made some unverified allegations online.

Isn't silence the most dignified response? Or is it claiming that you "Reeeeeally didn't want to put anything", then post an image of a prepared statement that promotes your new podcast?

Crabwalk

Did they really think series 4 could just commence, and with the previous 3 series erased from view, without fans relentlessly enquiring as to what happened? And that if they didn't speak to Poppy directly to smooth things over and explain why she was dropped, that her version of events wouldn't come out eventually?

Even if they're innocent of all charges (and I suspect that's a pretty big if) then they've still handled this like complete fucking idiots.