Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:01:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Us (2019) - new Jordan Peele movie

Started by surreal, December 27, 2018, 09:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

First trailer out for this follow up to "Get Out" and it looks freaky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNCmb-4oXJA&feature=youtu.be

Also the creepiest bit of music remixing I've heard in a trailer for a long time, perfect choice.

up_the_hampipe

I got fiiiiiive on it!

Looks interesting. It's going to be hard to follow Get Out, but it seems to be checking enough of the right boxes. Jordan Peele is a very creative individual, and that's a great cast. There are a couple of cheesy horror cliches, but that might just be the editing of the trailer.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Mister Six

surreal

Replies From View

Dex Sawash

Glad to see he's taken destroying liberals off YouTube and on to the big screen

wooders1978

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 28, 2018, 01:29:48 PM
Glad to see he's taken destroying liberals off YouTube and on to the big screen

Think you have the wrong Jordan P

chveik

Quote from: wooders1978 on December 28, 2018, 03:51:22 PM
Think you have the wrong Jordan P

hehe

anyway, I don't watch horror films that often, but this one looks pretty cool. and there's Tim Heidecker!

Malcy

Enjoyed Get Out so looking forward to seeing this. Will be interesting to see if this gives any indication as to what his 'Twilight Zone' will be like.

Custard

Two weeks til this, then. That's crept up, hasn't it!

Really enjoyed Get Out, and the poster for this is all kinds of disturbing, so yep I'm there opening weekend. Not watching the trailer as I'm 'ard

Cuntbeaks

Will watch this without reading anything about it. The unjustified hype surround Get Out rendered it a disappointing watch, mainly because it was a load of old shite.

Shit Good Nose

Still haven't seen Get Out (although it's in our Netflix list), but just wanted to say I had the exact same Jaws top the son is wearing when I was about his age.

It's getting some excellent early reviews out of SXSW

Twed

I don't like most movies and I hate horror (not scared of it, I just find it so boring) but that was a great trailer and I want to see it.

And I mean the actual trailer itself was great. The music was edited perfectly. They made the bassline to I Got Five On It sound menacing as fuck.

DukeDeMondo

There was a lot of really clichéd shit in that trailer but I'll just write that that off as a bunch of "really clichéd trailer shit" and hope for the best.

I thought Get Out was good for about half an hour. Half an hour, forty minutes, maybe. Not forty consecutive minutes. Forty minutes all broken up and scattered about the rest of it here and there in bits and pieces. It was fine. I know people who think it was a lot more than fine, a whole lot more, but they've yet to convince me, any of them.

I liked the whole notion of the "sunken place," even if I thought they didn't really know what to do with it. Fuelled a solid bit of Kanye chat here and there, if nothing else.

That episode of Atlanta that did the Get Out without the bodysnatchers stuff. I thought that was better.

Anyway, Us (2019) - new Jordan Peele movie. I'll go see it.

Noodle Lizard

Tim Heidecker there.

A trusted friend just saw it at SXSW and said it was "completely idiotic", but people lost their shit.  Maybe helped by the fact that Peele and a few of the cast were there in attendance and did a little Q&A where Peele supposedly said he wants to make "horror movies for intelligent people".

Say what you will about Get Out, but it's really no more intelligent than your average episode of Black Mirror or even Buffy.  In fact, it's actively stupid at times.

chocky909

So is the ethno-social commentary on this one "black people are their own worst enemy"?

Brundle-Fly

Heads up.

Peele interviewed on Radio 4 Front Row this evening. 

Custard

I've just noticed Us could allude to "US" too. As in the well known country, the United States

Ahhhhh

olliebean

Quote from: Shameless Custard on March 16, 2019, 07:38:18 PM
I've just noticed Us could allude to "US" too. As in the well known country, the United States

Ahhhhh

Or the Peter Gabriel album. Ahhhhhh...

SteveDave

I've seen this and will post more tomorrow when I can do spoilers.

Not as immediately woah as Get Out but good nonetheless.

Custard

Saw it too. It's alright, but sadly it wasn't as good as I'd hoped it'd be. It fell a bit flat for me, on first viewing. Some good moments, mind

Will also post more tomorrow!

Custard

Okay, some thoughts, *no spoilerz*

Good things:

The cast are very good. The build up is very creepy and atmospheric. It's great seeing Tim Heidecker in a big film (Fantastic Four don't count). It's quite short, and doesn't really have any overlong or flabby bits. It's quite funny in places. In fact, it strives for comedy a bit more than I expected. Most of the comedy lands. The kids are good. It's directed beautifully, with lots of lovely wide shots, and little moments of symbolism. I imagine I'll notice more on further viewings. It's a very well crafted film.

The not so good:

Some of the dialogue is woeful. Some of the humour didn't land. The doppelgangers are a bit too cartoony and daft for me, the voices especially. Lupita's made some people in my audience laugh. It kinda took me out of the tenseness and weirdness of the moment. The final third is a bit shit.

It's hard to really comment on the flaws of the film without potentially ruining it in the process, but I must say I am pretty underwhelmed. On first viewing I can't quite put my finger on what really doesn't work for me, but sadly I found myself checking out a bit around halfway through. That sinking feeling, when you know a film you've been looking forward to just isn't hitting the mark you wanted.

It may well improve on a second viewing. And I am gonna go again next weekend.

So, in closing, it's not baaaad. Some parts of it are really bloody good. But some other parts aren't, and it ends up being an alright modern horror film. Not the great one I dearly wanted

3 pairs of scissors

mjwilson

I liked it quite a bit better than that. It doesn't have the obvious "here is something new" feel that Get Out had, maybe, but that's a pretty high bar to be trying to clear.

Wet Blanket

I went in very much wanting to like it because I enjoyed Get Out and I'm always pleased to see a horror film that's not just a formulaic James Wan jump-scare-athon.... but I've gotta admit I found it boring for long stretches. The twist comes very late in the film and is basically just explained by a character. I think it should have been introduced earlier on.

Tonally it's all over the place. When the doppelgangers first appear it's quite creepy, but it soon becomes apparent that the family are never going to be in any real danger. They all act like that too, making wisecracks and, apart from Lupita Nyong'o, never appearing that phased that a load of murderous zombie lookalikes are running rampage. The dad especially, even though I did like Winston Duke's performance.

The surreal elements seemed pretty arbitrary.  It lacked the unsettling, uncanny tone you get from David Lynch or Yorgos Lanthimos.

It is very nicely shot and put together, but it didn't work for me really. It's clever and weird but not really funny or scary, and too long.  Overambitious perhaps. I am looking forward to his take on The Twilight Zone however.

SteveDave

I have done spoilers...

I too thought it was dragging about halfway through specifically when Tim and Offred were getting got.

Part of me was thinking it was going to be a very heavy handed metaphor about the evil underbelly of America when Adelaide's other said "We are Americaaaaa" as, even though I'd seen the "Hands Across America" advert at the start, I'd missed that she was wearing a "Hands Across America" t-shirt before she got the "Thriller" one.

My wife leaned over and said something like "The son thinks she's been switched" when he saw her battering the twin that didn't die in Tim's house. Little did I know how on the money she was.

The end twist could've been signposted a few more times as it seemed be added on because people expect twists now.

SteveDave

At the very end my wife*my wife* turned to me and said "Who knew Jordan Peele was such a funny guy?" I did a deathstare and then reminded her of all those episodes of Key and Peele we'd seen. She denied all knowledge of this and accused me of lying.