Author Topic: Us (2019) - new Jordan Peele movie  (Read 3955 times)

Re: Us (2019) - new Jordan Peele movie
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2019, 11:41:01 PM »
I like how he's not really saying anything regarding various theories.

I think this might be the biggest reach:
https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/qvyq7v/us-is-a-complex-metaphor-for-black-mental-health

zomgmouse

• I have party diarrhoea.
    • BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2019, 12:08:04 AM »
The ending ruined it.

Puce Moment

« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2019, 11:09:30 AM »
I haven't seen it yet but it is clear during interviews that he didn't really want to do a racial issue film, but rather a taut, imaginative horror-thriller. That's how I intend to watch it, rather than decoding it like some fucking Childish Gambino video.

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2019, 11:22:15 AM »
I haven't seen it yet but it is clear during interviews that he didn't really want to do a racial issue film, but rather a taut, imaginative horror-thriller. That's how I intend to watch it, rather than decoding it like some fucking Childish Gambino video.

Yeah, it seems inevitable that people are going to overthink it, but he's said himself he's probably not going to put a 'white dude' in his films as a protagonist because someone's made that film already and he's been given a platform where people trust/let him put black actors in those roles, so why wouldn't he?

Mister Six

• Half-masted, bass-boosted, sling-backed
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2019, 03:07:18 PM »
The Hot Fuzz to Get Out's Shaun of the Dead, I reckon... which is to say, narratively all over the place, but crammed full of ideas and images and jokes. I also felt it was legitimately gutsy and a bit perverse of Peele to make a film about class (and its various intersections) when most viewers would be expecting another film strictly about race. I liked it more than everyone else here seemingly - but then again I care very little about narrative logic, in fairness.

I think I would have liked it if the film didn't attempt to crowbar narrative logic into the film. If there was no attempt to explain the Tethered and no attempt to paint the protagonists as psychologically plausible at the start, and if Peele were able to conjure up the kind of eerie dreamlike ambience that, say, Lynch can, I would have rolled with it. As it was, though, it felt less like he was reaching for symbolic abstraction and more like he just couldn't quite wrestle the themes and images in his head into a cohesive, coherent film. Maybe earlier drafts left things unexplained, and that hokey "bad guy explains everything" scene followed by a hokier (and theme-buggering) last-minute "twist" came late after too many people complained they didn't get it.

It reminded me a bit of Twin Peaks: The Return, where Lynch stops all the weirdness towards the end, to drop in some rather flat exposition. But then he ramps up the weirdness again, and lets the narrative unspool completely, giving the impression that he was knowingly faking out the audience, whereas this film keeps veering back onto the road of narrative conformity in a way that suggests Peele intends to make a mainstream film. Then again, Lynch has been writing and directing stuff for about forty years, whereas this is Peele's second flick. Maybe this is his Dune, and more exciting things are to come. I think so and fervently hope so.

Puce Moment

« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2019, 03:51:39 PM »
Yeah, it seems inevitable that people are going to overthink it, but he's said himself he's probably not going to put a 'white dude' in his films as a protagonist because someone's made that film already and he's been given a platform where people trust/let him put black actors in those roles, so why wouldn't he?

I couldn't be happier that he said he won't do that sort of film given that he must have Hollywood's Most Successful Sunburnt Crackers queuing up to work with him for some residual cred. I thought that statement was bold and brilliant. So there we have it - tons of films with white actors where race is not necessarily a theme. And now, maybe a new crop of films with black actors where race is not necessarily a theme. That's getting closer to some kind of equality, surely?

« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2019, 03:55:33 PM »
Well exactly. I'd be interested to see how often people end up attributing unintended 'woke' subtext and he's just going to be like, 'nah it's just a family that happens to be black in this situation mate'.

« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2019, 07:28:31 PM »
Well exactly. I'd be interested to see how often people end up attributing unintended 'woke' subtext and he's just going to be like, 'nah it's just a family that happens to be black in this situation mate'.

Yeah... but at the same time, those red jumpsuits are surely intended to recall prison jumpsuits, which really invites an allegorical reading

« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2019, 12:12:31 AM »
Found myself trying to work out what the film was getting at for the majority of its running time. Some sort of allegory on class, yes, but it was a bit confusing. Even though i felt the central theme was strong and it was acted well, it just tailed off badly. The red suited people's special abilities didn't seem to give them any advantage over their original's. I think I'll put it down to a promising failure unless there's something I'm missing.

« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2019, 01:15:56 AM »
Yeah... but at the same time, those red jumpsuits are surely intended to recall prison jumpsuits, which really invites an allegorical reading

My guess is that he allowed and deliberately threw a bunch of stuff in there which appears as if it could have some vague allegorical/symbolic relevance.  That way you can allow the audience to project whatever they want, maybe even do the work for you and come up with an explanation that beats any concept you could have intended.  He certainly wouldn’t be the first filmmaker to do that.  Problem is, if the filmmaker doesn’t have a solid idea of what they want to convey, these theories will all inevitably be flawed and there’ll be other stuff in there that contradicts them.  See It Follows, a film where no theory works because the filmmaker (self-admittedly) didn’t have any one meaning in mind when writing/making it.

« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2019, 02:22:18 PM »
So... is it a call for 3rd world militant revolution?

SteveDave

• My LPs are still for sale in all good record shops
    • BUY BUY BUY
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2019, 03:14:27 PM »
Was there anything about how most of the Tethered were suddenly able to move independently from their above ground person? I can't remember.

Mister Six

• Half-masted, bass-boosted, sling-backed
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2019, 04:16:28 PM »
Was there anything about how most of the Tethered were suddenly able to move independently from their above ground person? I can't remember.

I guess Red reversed the one-way escalator... And then reversed it again for the climax.