Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:04:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BBC Cancels Film 2019

Started by Small Man Big Horse, December 28, 2018, 10:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46694568

Can't say I'm arsed in the slightest, I used to enjoy it when Barry Norman presented it and it was one of the few ways back then to see forthcoming film clips or trailers on tv, plus his reviews largely chimed with how I felt about cinema at the time, but I've only seen one or two episodes since he left as neither Ross or Winkleman were to my taste, and I didn't even know she'd left in 2016 and they'd then done the revolving guest host thing. But will anyone here miss it?

greenman

Whilst he might not be everyone scup of tea it should really have been Kermode taking over from Norman shouldn't it? Ross sit things on the path to vapidity and Winkleman confirmed it.

biggytitbo

BlodwynPig

lipsink

Quote from: greenman on December 28, 2018, 11:10:01 AM
Whilst he might not be everyone scup of tea it should really have been Kermode taking over from Norman shouldn't it? Ross sit things on the path to vapidity and Winkleman confirmed it.

Kermode and Mayo's Radio 5 show has basically replaced it anyway, hasn't it?

kalowski

Nothing beats Film 84, in my opinion.

Alberon

I could never work out the continuity. Starting with part 71 and then after part 99 jumping forward to number 2000. Confused the fuck out of me.

Quote"In 2019 we will be creating an enhanced offer for lovers of film both on television and online," the corporation told BBC News.

"We're still working through the details and will have more news about what this will look like soon."

Video podcasts?

mojo filters

I always thought Johnny Vaughan would have made a great permanent Barry Norman-type replacement for the BBC. As I recall after he left C4 / The Big Breakfast, he did do some random and unsuccessful TV work, but not along the lines of his earlier more obscure (and possibly short-lived) film review show.

I have happy memories of waking up to my TV alarm, with Vaughan and van Outen every morning, when I got my first proper job living in my own place for the first time (by which I mean two separate events that happened to happen at the same time; as opposed to my first proper job simply being tasked with living alone for the first time). I'm not normally a fan of that type of TV (habitually I default to R4 Today in the UK, since the Redhead/Liddle era) but Johnny Vaughan seemed a cut above other presenters in that TV genre.

I guess like Iain Lee and other talented TV folks who's careers never quite took off, he's on some popular radio station these days - though I may be wrong.

He seemed to know his films well enough, plus he had an engaging TV manner with sufficient broad appeal, without being overly generic or annoying. Certainly he couldn't have been worse than Claudia Winkleman and similar.

There are not really many modern films that attract me to the cinema, especially with the streaming services plus HBO, Showtime etc now dominating the documentary business. However I liked having a show that reassured me I wasn't missing out on anything beyond the myriad of landfill Hollywood superhero adaptations.

Does Mark Kermode still do that section of Simon Mayo's radio show, or am I way behind the times there?

mothman

Point of Film was to see clips of new and upcoming movies and get Bazza's opinion of them. Never wanted to Ross and stopped watching. The format change with Claudia didn't sit right with me - not her fault, she can present and knew her stuff, it just didn't feel right either.

Something along the lines of Kermode and Mayo would work, but not exactly as you see on the YouTube  channel, which wouldn't work as a TV programme. Kermode's spiels and rants are brilliant, but you need more than that. Mayo has s face for radio anyway and just interjects occasionally.

Replies From View

They cancel these every year.  I distinctly remember when Film 88 was cancelled to make room for the deeply inferior Film 89.  A sad time.

Are they giving us Film 2020 a year early, then?  Like when they skipped Windows 9?

Consignia

Quote from: mothman on December 28, 2018, 05:24:39 PM

Something along the lines of Kermode and Mayo would work, but not exactly as you see on the YouTube  channel, which wouldn't work as a TV programme. Kermode's spiels and rants are brilliant, but you need more than that. Mayo has s face for radio anyway and just interjects occasionally.

The film review goes out live, and the podcast is largely untouched. With an editor, you could easily see Kermode fronting a show like this. I think some of the documentaries that he's done, such as the Secret's of Cinema, show he can be a decent presenter if not done live.

Blumf

As I remember it, it was the lack of Y2K compliance that did for the show. All the Beeb had to do was patch the old series, adding a 19 to the title, but typical short sighted accountants got in the way and here we are.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: mojo filters on December 28, 2018, 05:11:28 PM
I always thought Johnny Vaughan would have made a great permanent Barry Norman-type replacement for the BBC. As I recall after he left C4 / The Big Breakfast, he did do some random and unsuccessful TV work, but not along the lines of his earlier more obscure (and possibly short-lived) film review show.

I remember that and liked it at the time, a quick google informed me that it was called Moviewatch and one episode's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvQahEJh1Ms

Apparently he now works for Radio X, which used to be XFM, except that it's very shit now.

Glebe

Sin Agog

So...there won't be any more films released in 2019? :(

St_Eddie

Quote from: Sin Agog on December 28, 2018, 10:20:59 PM
So...there won't be any more films released in 2019? :(

How ever will we survive without the annual 57,000 superhero movies?!

Keebleman

When Barry Norman left I wrote a letter to the BBC outlining my thoughts on what the show should be.  Can't remember the details but I'm pretty sure that 'not having Jonathan Ross present it' was pretty much the gist.  They didn't reply.  I never watched it again.

Sebastian Cobb

Perfect time to reboot Vids.

They could set it in a datacentre or something now video shops aren't a thing.