Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:43:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Orville II - The Wrath of Deathmask Face

Started by Alberon, December 28, 2018, 07:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

That was the best yet. The big battle was superb.

Blumf

I liked those two eps well enough, but the damned music was ridiculously OTT.

Great realisation of the world, and I liked Yaphit's fighting technique.

Alberon

Yeah, this is genuinely good. As I said before it seems to have fit into the generally lighthearted Stargate SG-1 role while still slavishly copying 90s Trek style. The approach to the Kaylon homeworld last week did rip the music from the Vejur approach bit of ST: TMP.

Now I've finally got to wholeheartedly liking the show it will now be abruptly cancelled. Sorry for that.

Malcy

Quote from: Alberon on March 03, 2019, 04:52:56 PM
Yeah, this is genuinely good. As I said before it seems to have fit into the generally lighthearted Stargate SG-1 role while still slavishly copying 90s Trek style. The approach to the Kaylon homeworld last week did rip the music from the Vejur approach bit of ST: TMP.

Now I've finally got to wholeheartedly liking the show it will now be abruptly cancelled. Sorry for that.

I hope not!

I'm loving the music and the sometimes not so subtle nods to Trek series & films. I can't stand the constant music in TV shows these days but this is a rare show i really enjoy it in. I read earlier about the Krill's god Avis. Obviously it's there for humour but it's also Latin for Bird. The Krill worship the 'great bird of the galaxy'. Wonder if it's a deliberate Roddenberry tribute or just something a fan has added to.

Malcy

Good to have a bit of continuation from last week's. The music when Gordon and Oran left in the shuttle was very reminiscent of James Horner's 'Battle Of The Mutara Nebula' from The Wrath Of Khan. Not a bad thing at all.

Recognised the Krill ambassadors voice straight away. He was played by John Fleck who played Sillik in several episodes of Enterprise.

Blumf

I liked that episode, as you say, nice bit of continuity.

Really liked Gordon's escape from the shuttle-pod, it's the kind of thing older Trek couldn't really do, brought an extra edge to the action.

Malcy

Quote from: Blumf on March 14, 2019, 12:10:08 PM
I liked that episode, as you say, nice bit of continuity.

Really liked Gordon's escape from the shuttle-pod, it's the kind of thing older Trek couldn't really do, brought an extra edge to the action.

I think the closet Trek got was beaming people out a shuttle before it exploded then they waited ages for rescue. Tom & B'elanna in Voyager i think.

No episode this week.

Malcy

I recognised Tim Russ aka Tuvok straight away from his voice. Really enjoyed it this week. Interesting take on holo-addiction. Bortis & Klyden on the fags was hilarious. The look on Klyden's face when he was caught having a smoke in the airlock was priceless.

Hope this show goes on for a while yet

Blumf

Really is nice seeing Trek cast pop up.

The holo-addiction stories always seem to work in Trek (certainly better than the holodeck takes over the ship ones), and this one had some nice touches. Lot of focus on Gordon this season.

100% physical acting on the Bortus and Kylden B-plot, don't often get to see people enjoying their smokes these days and they nailed it.

Next episode is the 11th of April (according to wiki). Fucks sake US TV schedulers! How do you even still have jobs, just replace you all with dice.

Malcy

US Tv scheduling is a disgrace. I can remember times where there would be an episode of Family Guy, then nome for 3-4 weeks, 2 more, 2 week break, 1 episode, 4 week break. It's annoying for the viewers but it must really piss off the people who work their arse off to make the shows in the first place. Wouldn't get away with it here. Even if the soaps are off for a night there's outrage!

Came across this clip of Scott Grimes from an old TNG episode recently. Think it was a deleted scene.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WavPAlf5bOw

Blumf

Aaaaggh! TNG era 'casual' ware! My eyes!

Speaking of outfits; are the Orville uniforms working for you? Still think they look a little cartoony. Lots of detailing, but none of it seems that functional, save for the fact they have a jacket they can take off.

Malcy

Quote from: Blumf on March 26, 2019, 01:14:27 PM
Aaaaggh! TNG era 'casual' ware! My eyes!

Speaking of outfits; are the Orville uniforms working for you? Still think they look a little cartoony. Lots of detailing, but none of it seems that functional, save for the fact they have a jacket they can take off.

They're Ok. Better than TNG casual anyway! The colours are very colourful but then it's quite a colourful show. Better than Discovery's awful uniforms as well.

Alberon

There's lots of detail in the Discovery's uniform, but it still ends up looking like a costume rather than a uniform.

The Orville uniforms are an obvious rip-off of Star Trek's and that's the biggest thing against me feeling they're 'real'. But then that's true of everything design wise on that show.

Blumf

STD's kit is okay, if a little unimaginative, but then they did insist on lumping themselves between ENT and TOS (quite like their take on TOS-proper style outfits)

Other than the dayglow colour scheme, I think it's the epaulettes that bug me about The Orville's outfits. If they could tone it down a bit (just a bit, don't want dull greys/dark blues) it would be fine.

Best outfit is Spock's robe from The Voyage Home:

That looks cosy. Just slob around your starship in it on the weekends.

Malcy

Malcy

Fantastic set of guest stars this week. Tony Todd, Marina Sirtis, Ron Canada & F.Murray Abraham! I like that they keep dealing with the issues of having an alliance with the Moclans. The Dolly Parton stuff was a right laugh as well. Only 2 left now.

Blumf

Yep, a neat little episode. Was expecting Sirtis to have a bigger role, but always nice to see old Trek cast turn up.

Only just caught on to the fact that it was Bruce Willis doing the voice for that flower alien a few eps back.

Malcy

Struggled to get into this week's due to watching the car crash that was the Discovery finale right before it.

Still enjoyed it though. Was a bit of a slow burner but there were a couple of good laughs. Bortis & Klyden dancing was hilarious. They really are a great pair of characters. I like that even in the future video games still have the curse of a character getting stuck on something! I knew exactly how Ed felt.

The cliffhanger was really interesting. I wonder how it's all going to affect things and be resolved.

Really hope this gets renewed for a 3rd series. It's probably my favourite tv show at the moment. It's the one i look forward to watching the most. They should have let McFarlane do Trek. This shots all over their current output.

Blumf

They were kinda vague about how time travel works - single, changing timeline, or multi-timelines splitting with any changes - so it's not 100% certain that it'll be an issue. Although I'm forgetting that Charlize Theron episode, I assume the rules match that. So, probably will be a problem.

That hiding in ice trick seemed a little... iffy. No way they carry enough water for that. No way Kaylons' sensors would miss them. Should have tractored and melted together some chunks instead. Whatever, nerd nitpicking.

There's got to be a S3, it's getting bigger numbers than Family Guy for starters. (Orville's getting ~5.5 mil. vs FG's ~2.5)

Malcy

Quote from: Blumf on April 24, 2019, 02:12:56 PM
They were kinda vague about how time travel works - single, changing timeline, or multi-timelines splitting with any changes - so it's not 100% certain that it'll be an issue. Although I'm forgetting that Charlize Theron episode, I assume the rules match that. So, probably will be a problem.

That hiding in ice trick seemed a little... iffy. No way they carry enough water for that. No way Kaylons' sensors would miss them. Should have tractored and melted together some chunks instead. Whatever, nerd nitpicking.

There's got to be a S3, it's getting bigger numbers than Family Guy for starters. (Orville's getting ~5.5 mil. vs FG's ~2.5)

Isn't 5.5m quite good for a show in America? That's a good sign then. Surely anything that gets a higher rating than TWD is considered! Family Guy had a good 3 or 4 episodes that were good in a row but it's on once in a blue moon so can see people just getting fed up with it and not watching it.

Malcy

Great episode. I really like saving the timeline episodes. Delighted to see Alara again. I wonder if she'll ever come back full time.

Fingers crossed for a 3rd series. Hope the shortened titles aren't a permanent thing though.

Alberon

Haven't seen the last few yet. Most news sites have The Orville on the bubble for renewal. It has secured a nice tax deal if it does come back. I think on balance it will get another year.

I don't know if anyone has noticed but the episodes this year have been longer in length. Each one clocking in above 45 minutes rather the more usual just above 40. The network has been experimenting with shorter ad breaks to try and keep viewers. No idea if it has been judged a success or not, but I do remember something similar was tried in Fringe's first season.

Malcy

Quote from: Alberon on April 26, 2019, 01:14:22 PM
Haven't seen the last few yet. Most news sites have The Orville on the bubble for renewal. It has secured a nice tax deal if it does come back. I think on balance it will get another year.

I don't know if anyone has noticed but the episodes this year have been longer in length. Each one clocking in above 45 minutes rather the more usual just above 40. The network has been experimenting with shorter ad breaks to try and keep viewers. No idea if it has been judged a success or not, but I do remember something similar was tried in Fringe's first season.

That's good to hear. The finale was 48 minutes long. I did wonder how it was a few mins extra including the shortened titles. It deserves another series at least. It looks great, it's well written and performed and it's cheery whereas DSC is just miserable and none of the above.