Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:46:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A Year In The Life Of A Year 2018

Started by Small Man Big Horse, December 29, 2018, 07:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

I really liked this, previously years have been a bit repetitive or had the odd sketch which didn't work but I found it consistently funny and enjoyable. Though he should get the death penalty for what he did to Paddington, obviously.

Malcy

'Musician Brian Pern Faces Jail After Faking His Own Death'.

Enjoyed that little reference. These are usually good. Burgess Meredith during the 'people we've lost' almost fooled me!

shiftwork2

Surprised there wasn't a thread.  There's a formula but it works and this year's edition didn't try and change things.  I got a bit choked up by the last segment about Geoffrey Hayes :(

up_the_hampipe

I'm so glad that things like this are still being made. When Armando Iannucci stopped doing them, I thought there wouldn't be any more of these silly edited shows. Utter nonsense, but funny as arse.

VelourSpirit

It's mad seeing Neil Breen on BBC Two!

Moribunderast

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on December 30, 2018, 12:29:13 AM
I'm so glad that things like this are still being made. When Armando Iannucci stopped doing them, I thought there wouldn't be any more of these silly edited shows. Utter nonsense, but funny as arse.

Yep. Totally silly but gloriously so. I'll always have time for something as daft as this.

MAY.

Brian Freeze

May indeed.

The way he pronounced NHS got as big a laugh as anything from me.

DrGreggles

Utter Shit

I thought this year's was fantastic, so many great moments. The squeaky noise in the Bodyguard bit was great, as was the piss-take of that stupid BBC gameshow...Simon Day and Lucy Montgomery trying to keep Barry from Eastenders alive, then Day scarpering when he died...brilliant.

Was it Paul Whitehouse singing at the end?

bobloblaw

Rhys also produced an directed BBC4's Secret Story of the BBC's Christmas Tapes, which is a clear inspiration for this sort of stuff. Worth a look for peak celebrity swearing and general rudeness

buzby

Quote from: TwinPeaks on December 30, 2018, 01:43:03 AM
It's mad seeing Neil Breen on BBC Two!
Amazing scenes. Brooker needs to get him in a Black Mirror episode for real.
The Ben Wishaw Paddington/A Very English Scandal redeb was great, as was MAY, the text over the Bohemian Rhapsody footage and Thomas's constant mispronunciations. I'm glad he's still asked to do these as it's become the highlight of the New Year period for me.

bobloblaw

being bezzie mates with Shane Allen from way back probably helps. More please.

Virgo76

neveragain

Quote from: buzby on January 03, 2019, 07:55:29 AM
Amazing scenes. Brooker needs to get him in a Black Mirror episode for real.
The Ben Wishaw Paddington/A Very English Scandal redeb was great, as was MAY, the text over the Bohemian Rhapsody footage and Thomas's constant mispronunciations. I'm glad he's still asked to do these as it's become the highlight of the New Year period for me.

I didn't get the joke with the Bohemian Rhapsody bit. Whose face was that over Freddie's?
Also the Black Mirror section. I know I've read about the Netflix thing that those clips came from but can't remember what it actually is.

Quote from: neveragain on January 06, 2019, 09:11:55 PM
I didn't get the joke with the Bohemian Rhapsody bit. Whose face was that over Freddie's?

Instead of using clips from the 2018 Bohemian Rhapsody film, they showed clips from a 2016 Channel 5 drama.

https://metro.co.uk/2016/11/20/the-freddie-mercury-story-blasted-for-wooden-acting-as-fans-get-all-emotional-over-queen-stars-death-6271514/

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: shiftwork2 on December 30, 2018, 12:26:26 AM
Surprised there wasn't a thread.

There's one in Picture Box.

Yes, thoroughly enjoyed.  Highlights for me were extended Alfie Boe, "Burr-gess Mredreeth", the aforementioned MAY, and the simplicity of "Stanley Lee - comics".

A couple in the other thread mentioned a brief glimpse of Chubby Brown being a highlight, but I've watched it three times now and haven't spotted him anywhere.

Captain Z

Quote from: Special K on January 07, 2019, 09:45:14 AM
Instead of using clips from the 2018 Bohemian Rhapsody film, they showed clips from a 2016 Channel 5 drama.

That's hilarious but moments like this go totally over my head as the editing is often far too good, subtle or quick to pick up on such obscure things.

bigfatheart

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 07, 2019, 01:47:40 PM
A couple in the other thread mentioned a brief glimpse of Chubby Brown being a highlight, but I've watched it three times now and haven't spotted him anywhere.

During the bit about the royal wedding(s), there's a line about the biggest stars attending. Among those shown is a clip of Chubby Brown - out of costume - attending some sort of red carpet event.

jobotic

BlodwynPig

Simon Day in The Button elicited the first guffaw and they kept on coming.

Utter Shit

So was it Paul Whitehouse or fucking not?

neveragain

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 08, 2019, 12:18:41 PM
So was it Paul Whitehouse or fucking not?

It's definitely not Paul Whitehouse.  I think it's the same bloke featured briefly (again) earlier on in the episode at the beginning of the BBC Music Day bit.  I don't know if it was actually from one of the BBC Music Day shows or something else completely unrelated.

Also remembered during the football on Newsround bit "from this" (cheering school children) "to this" (man on fire in his living room whilst his wife looks on helplessly).  Killed me that bit.  Had to watch it about ten times.

bobloblaw

second clip there (man on fire) is from movie Hereditary

Rocket Surgery

"Paul Whitehouse" is Phil Minton.

Stewart Lee is a fan.

Norton Canes

Hey I know what woulda bin funny, some footage of Maxine Peake desperately trying to escape her pursuant in the Black Mirror episode Metalhead, cut with footage of... of K9!

Whirring slowly along a corridor

I have literally just thought of that.