Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:25:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

HMV

Started by king_tubby, December 29, 2018, 08:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenoise

Quote from: bgmnts on December 30, 2018, 03:14:07 PM
Edgar Wright gave the article some stick on Twitter yesterday I think, right so.

Comes across as a right smug cunt.

I remember by local HMV having the video nasty section right next to the kids/disney section stuff. That always made me chuckle, the fact a five year old could end up seeing the front cover to Cannibal Holocaust.

Definitely part of the appeal when I was a child, take a sneaky look at the alarming/exciting cover of 'The Incredible Melting Man' while my parents weren't looking.  Mind you, I guess kids today could just watch the whole thing on youtube.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: buzby on December 29, 2018, 09:06:51 PM
I'd take issue with this. The branch in Liverpool at least was great for picking up import dance and remix 12" back in the early 90s. I also picked up a fair chunk of my KLF Communications collection there, as when they deleted their catalogue they dumped their remaining stock through The Cartel, and the HMV here had the foresight to pick loads of it up. Piles of new copies of the Pure Trance original and remix singles, copies of 1987:The JAMs 45 Edits album and Shag Times compilation all going for a couple of quid.

Sadly they couldn't keep the rent up on the megastore in Liverpool One (it's now a Foot Locker) and moved into a tiny shop down one of the alleys a couple of months ago.

It did, it also had loads of world music and folk and jazz, all the stuff most chain stores had long since chucked out. It was great in there in the 90s. Also, whoever was selecting the in-store music there had good taste because there was very rarely anything shite playing (if I remember correctly).

As far as the dance is concerned though, I suppose we were lucky being a sort of epicentre, with Cream round the corner. 3 Beat and Probe etc were all well stocked with that, Quiggins too, maybe HMV had to work harder to compete here than elsewhere. The only thing that used to piss me off was the price, I remember paying £16.99 for Exile On Main Street on cd in about 1998, wasn't exactly a fucking rarity!!

Did you ever go to the Virgin Megastore in town Buzby? That was a cut above most other cities too, if I'm remembering rightly again!

MidnightShambler

Sadly I completely fucked up the previous reply and tagged it on to Buzby's quote, I don't know how to fix it because I'm on a new phone and I haven't worked out how to do it yet!

Sorry, I hope it's decipherable where his post ends and mine starts. Not that my post is worth bothering with in the first place!

purlieu

Well, 27 stores are closing, including the flagship Oxford Street branch (full list here), but on the plus side that means 100 stores are remaining open, which is possibly better than a lot of people would have predicted.

Wet Blanket

Surprises me that the Oxford Street and Meadowhall ones don't pull their weight. Presumably it's high rents that have signed the death warrants on these 27 because a lot seem to be in reasonably salubrious locations. Usually it's the crap towns that suffer

king_tubby

QuoteFopp, Bristol

Fopp, Glasgow Byres

Fopp, Manchester

Fopp, Oxford

Oooof.

Neville Chamberlain

Glad to see the one in Yeovil is staying open. I was in there a couple months ago and it was packed!

gilbertharding

Surprised and disappointed the Bluewater one is going - I'd always have a look in and usually bought something in there, especially at xmas.

kngen

Quote from: king_tubby on February 05, 2019, 01:57:21 PM
Fopp, Glasgow Byres

That's a bit of a shame, but then they did kill off Echo, so I won't cry myself to sleep.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

rue the polywhirl

Great news for folk in Devon. I can't wait to do my local HMV shopping in Taunton or Truro.

Gutting about Oxford Brooks as well. Mike Ashley was the next highest bidder but lost out to Sunrise, thus providing the tiniest of mercies.

Crabwalk

Cambridge Fopp survives, yay!

Sorry for your loss, everyone else.

The Culture Bunker

Shame the Manchester Fopp is going, as I must have spent a fair whack in there over the last 15 years or so. Surprised the HMV in the Arndale survives, though, as I don't know anybody who ever goes in.

jobotic

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 05, 2019, 03:22:51 PM
Surprised and disappointed the Bluewater one is going - I'd always have a look in and usually bought something in there, especially at xmas.

It's horrible. Feels like everything is about to fall on top of you.

magval

Belfast safe, thank fuck.

purlieu

Quote from: Wet Blanket on February 05, 2019, 01:55:04 PM
Presumably it's high rents that have signed the death warrants on these 27 because a lot seem to be in reasonably salubrious locations.
Yes, this was given as the reason before the list was even announced. It's a good time to be a midlander.

the science eel

Workington HMV survives! I'm delighted

Gulftastic

Leeds survives!

YAY.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: the science eel on February 05, 2019, 06:55:22 PM
Workington HMV survives! I'm delighted
Jam sandwiches for everyone!

the science eel

steveh

Quote from: Wet Blanket on February 05, 2019, 01:55:04 PM
Surprises me that the Oxford Street and Meadowhall ones don't pull their weight.

The Oxford St branch apparently has rent of £3.2m and business rates of around £1.5m so I'm not surprised they can't make the numbers work on that, even if having a flagship store gives them some extra exposure.

Assume that the remaining Fopp branches will be rebranded as HMV given the closure decisions they made.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 05, 2019, 03:54:49 PM
Cambridge Fopp survives, yay!

Sorry for your loss, everyone else.

Yeah, I was pleased about that. HMV Peterborough going, which is a bit shit.

DrGreggles

imitationleather

Just what is Mike Ashley's evil plan? I can only imagine it is something truly mind boggling.

The man isn't trying to buy up all these failed high street chains for the shits and the giggles.

madhair60

Well, that's it. You can no longer buy music or DVDs in Oxford.

Phil_A

Quote from: imitationleather on February 06, 2019, 10:19:57 AM
Just what is Mike Ashley's evil plan? I can only imagine it is something truly mind boggling.

The man isn't trying to buy up all these failed high street chains for the shits and the giggles.

It's not Ashley, he was outbid by a Canadian music shop chain. This is one fireplace he won't be vomiting into.

holyzombiejesus

What will happen to all the £5 BFI and Arrow DVDs that Fopp had in it's racks? And all those records? Will they just be shunted across to the nearest HMV or do they sell them on to some bankruptcy type people? Thought they'd have had a sale to get shot of it all rather than just shutting the doors yesterday.

Great memories of the Oxford Street one in the 90s. It was less a shop, more a tourist attraction. Wandering around their massive classical section, even though I had no interest in it, just in awe of the sheer scale of it. Like wandering around the precious stone section of the Natural History Museum.

To echo some of the above posters, their import game was shit hot. I bumped into an old teacher when I was ordering an UNKLE single variant from Japan. He was after ordering in a German classical album, can't remember what it was now. We had a good long chat about music, even though our tastes were a world apart, and it was HMV that gave us that.

Thanks HMV.

ThaMV.

purlieu

Quote from: madhair60 on February 06, 2019, 10:20:14 AM
Well, that's it. You can no longer buy music or DVDs in Oxford.
Supermarkets and WH Smith?

holyzombiejesus

There are no record shops in Oxford? Isn't Truck still open?