Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:40:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

HMV

Started by king_tubby, December 29, 2018, 08:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Cowley Road, though, gross.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 06, 2019, 10:51:46 AM
What will happen to all the £5 BFI and Arrow DVDs that Fopp had in it's racks? And all those records? Will they just be shunted across to the nearest HMV or do they sell them on to some bankruptcy type people? Thought they'd have had a sale to get shot of it all rather than just shutting the doors yesterday.

When the last lot closed, all the stock was divvied out between the remaining stores.  I imagine the same thing will happen with these.

I presume they'd only have a closing down mega sale if the whole lot were going.

holyzombiejesus

Ah, didn't realise some were staying open.

gilbertharding

Quote from: jobotic on February 05, 2019, 04:45:52 PM
It's horrible. Feels like everything is about to fall on top of you.

It means if I want a CD or a DVD now (and want to actually touch it before I buy it), I'll have to go into fucking Maidstone. Maidstone.

Fuck THAT.

purlieu

Yeah, don't do that.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 06, 2019, 12:05:03 PM
Ah, didn't realise some were staying open.

Most of the (remaining) stores are staying open - 100 staying, 27 going.  I'm not sure if those figures include Fopp or not, but some of those are staying open as well.

For now, at least.

purlieu

23 HMVs are closing and four Fopps. Which leaves five Fopps remaining, I believe.

the science eel

Get yer arse to Fopp on Union St in Glasgow asap

Rich Uncle Skeleton

QuoteBath

Fopp Bristol

FUCK.

gilbertharding

I just remembered a golden fortnight (OK, it was longer than that) when there was a branch of MVP and a branch of HMV AND a Fopp in Maidstone.

Then MVP went because Fopp took them over, then Fopp went (it's now CEX shop, which still sells CDs upstairs, but they're filed in a system where The Clash and The Beatles and The The are all filed under 'T'. And all the cases are scratched up and slightly sticky).

At least HMV is still there.

Funcrusher

Fopp in Oxford was closed today so I guess it's effective immediately.

The Culture Bunker

I can remember when I first moved to Manchester in 2004, on Market Street alone there were two HMVs, a Virgin Records and a Music Zone.

Not sure when the Fopp (just off Market Street) opened, but like in Oxford, it seems to have closed down now.

Alberon

There was a Fopp in Reading but that's been gone a long while and is now a Polski store. The town's HMV is going too, and I'm not sure if that leaves anywhere to get music physically beyond whatever is in, if anything, WHSmith.

Sebastian Cobb

There were two fopps in Aberdeen at one point. By 2007 there were none. I still lament that.

Gulftastic

They could turn the stores into mobile shops and call them The Tour Fopps.

purlieu

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 07, 2019, 05:08:04 PMAt least HMV is still there.
It's a pretty good HMV, too, size-wise, for a place of Maidstone's size. It's been a few years since I lived there, but the music section was probably bigger than that of Leicester's.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 07, 2019, 07:52:58 PM
There were two fopps in Aberdeen at one point. By 2007 there were none. I still lament that.

Same in Bath. Halcyon days.

Thought it was some weird anomaly but turned out it was like that in a few places. Bristol apparently had three, and I must have gone to at least one of them pretty regularly but now I can't even remember the location of a single one.

For years the HMV in Bath had a permanent display covering the windows with Sgt Pepper, Star Wars and OK Computer like some holy trinity.
Was weird enough when that was replaced with just black, but the whole shop closing overnight while I'm away with no chance of one last browse has made me pretty sad. God knows what could end up in its place, there's been some right rubbish popping up in town recently.

greenman

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on February 08, 2019, 01:30:11 AM
Same in Bath. Halcyon days.

Thought it was some weird anomaly but turned out it was like that in a few places. Bristol apparently had three, and I must have gone to at least one of them pretty regularly but now I can't even remember the location of a single one.

For years the HMV in Bath had a permanent display covering the windows with Sgt Pepper, Star Wars and OK Computer like some holy trinity.
Was weird enough when that was replaced with just black, but the whole shop closing overnight while I'm away with no chance of one last browse has made me pretty sad. God knows what could end up in its place, there's been some right rubbish popping up in town recently.

One of the Fopp's(the more music and less dvd focused one) was at the top of Park Street and was taken up by ex staff and turned into RISE(the same people took over Fopp in Cheltenham as well), Rough Trade took it over last year I believe although I haven't been in there.

PaulTMA

gilbertharding

Apparently the one in Bluewater isn't going to close after all. That's nice.

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 07, 2019, 07:52:58 PM
Liverpool had two HMVs a couple of hundred yards apart on the same street for over a decade in the 80s and 90s. The small one in Lord St. never closed when they opened the new Megastore in the old Woolworths building in Church St. the mid-80s. It stayed open even after they expanded into the floor above the Megastore (which had been a Burger King)

At the same time we had a two-storey Virgin Megastore in Clayton Square and an Our Price the other side of the road from it in Central Station. The Virgin became a Zavvi which moved into Liverpool One and promptly went bankrupt. The Church St HMV moved temporarily into the basement of the old Index/British Gas showroom in Bold St until their new unit in Liverpool One was finished (the Duke Of Westminister acquired the old Woolworths building they were in and knocked the lower two floors out to create an entrance arcade into Liverpool One from Church St). Even then the temporary shop stayed open for a good while after the Liverpool One shop opened (which is now a Foot Locker as they couldn't afford the rent)

ToneLa

Tags: Buzby schools on the 'Pool

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: buzby on February 22, 2019, 10:43:08 PM
Liverpool had two HMVs a couple of hundred yards apart on the same street for over a decade in the 80s and 90s. The small one in Lord St. never closed when they opened the new Megastore in the old Woolworths building in Church St. the mid-80s. It stayed open even after they expanded into the floor above the Megastore (which had been a Burger King)
Manchester had two HMVs maybe a hundred yards apart on Market Street for years, maybe until ten years ago. Both gone now, as they've consolidated into an obscure corner of the Arndale.

holyzombiejesus

There was one in Piccadilly Station too.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 22, 2019, 11:32:46 PM
There was one in Piccadilly Station too.
Man, I'd forgotten about that. Presumably from back in the days when people thought "I'll buy a CD to play on the Walkman through the journey".

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on February 08, 2019, 01:30:11 AM

There were two in the town - a small one and a big one - and one out at Cribbs Causeway, which may as well be a different town as it's a good twenty minutes away in the car.  About an hour on the bus.

purlieu

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 22, 2019, 05:18:27 PM
Apparently the one in Bluewater isn't going to close after all. That's nice.
Six stores have re-opened now, including the Glasgow Fopp.

Sebastian Cobb

Makes you wonder if they were 'doing a 6 music'.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: mojo filters on December 30, 2018, 01:34:09 AM
Much as I love the Grauniad and their continued good, refreshingly paywall-free journalism, they also continue this bad habit of letting some truly awful copy through and straight past regular editorial standards!

I have an abiding memory of finding an unusual CD single there, which I loved the idea of owning despite the expense - even as a poor, misty-eyed teenage music fan, seeking life-changing music.

Having been just a little too young to buy contemporary Smiths records, I didn't want to miss out when an attractive Stone Roses opportunity arose. I couldn't afford much aged 13ish, but HMV was the only store in town with a good, broad selection of CD singles.

I always thought it was odd that Fool's Gold was the title track of the original UK release, when even my young mind knew What The World Is Waiting For made more sense as a neat, poppy-yet-credible indie potential crossover track. Fool's Gold later made sense with many and various remixes, the more commercial released some years later.

However my prescient sense of history was excited when I found HMV selling what I presume was an imported version, with a different John Squire sleeve showing What The World Is Waiting For as the title track, on an £8+ CD single next to the regular then-current  £3.99 option.

Not only was the tracklist the same, the CD inside looked identical to the indie chart-topping regular release. However so convincing was the superiority of the epic jangle pop number, I paid twice the regular price for my coveted CD single of What The World Is Waiting For. Admittedly this was still the era of regular vinyl sales, hence CDs didn't seem like the less collectable / desirable format back then.

Ironically by the time I got to college, the original CD was curiously gone - whilst the desirable packaging now housed my coincidentally caseless CD collection Turns Into Stone...which fortunately had both tracks from the single, plus many other great early Roses material (sadly mastered rather quietly).

I don't even know how long I managed to hold on to the original disc, but the great case had pride of place amongst my collection of interesting and obscure indie teenage treasures for years!

what

mojo filters

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 25, 2019, 05:50:30 PM
what

I was relaying a nice, positive anecdote about the value of HMV.

Using words.

Aimed at readers.