Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:37:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mary Poppins Has Come Back

Started by Custard, December 30, 2018, 07:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talulah, really!

Take 2

"Mary Poppins Reurns - they say its old and on the way out, but I thought the DVD was great."

New Page - New that'll make no fucking sense whatever.

"Slip - Shod"

St_Eddie

Quote from: Talulah, really! on January 14, 2019, 07:54:20 PM
Take 2

"Mary Poppins Reurns - they say its old and on the way out, but I thought the DVD was great."

I still don't get it.

Saw this yesterday.  Rather good, I thought.  Very in the spirit of the original.

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 03, 2019, 01:05:38 PM
I liked that despite all the 'banks are evil' stuff

Well, I don't remember complaints about implied moralising when the Young Ones wrote a letter to a bank, starting 'Darling Fascist Bully Boy.'

BritishHobo

Oh no I'm fine with implied moralizing, moralise out the wazoo if you want. I did enjoy the film. I just also found it funny that they were only saved from the evil bank because of their banker father.

MojoJojo

Saw this yesterday, it was pretty good. Songs weren't quite good enough, so I ended up a little bored.

My five year old was very excited by the way Mary Poppins fell backwards into the bath, so I had to carefully explain to her that only works on magic baths and if she tried it she'll just end up with a lump on her head.

PlanktonSideburns

I was entertained by this. I don't really like musicals, apart from maybe hellsapoppin but found it fun enough. Is this a musical for people who dont like musicals? I've not seen the original either

Thought van dykes little bit was electric - he has instant charisma,  I want to see him starring as an old dancing fucker in some new films

Also I am furious at St eddie''s dad's filmpinions. I mean what a piece of work

St_Eddie

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on January 28, 2019, 05:41:33 PM
...I am furious at St eddie''s dad's filmpinions. I mean what a piece of work

Yep.  Barmy, ain't he?

Replies From View

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 28, 2019, 01:56:46 PM
Saw this yesterday, it was pretty good. Songs weren't quite good enough, so I ended up a little bored.

My five year old was very excited by the way Mary Poppins fell backwards into the bath, so I had to carefully explain to her that only works on magic baths and if she tried it she'll just end up with a lump on her head.

Has to learn these things for herself, I'm afraid.

beanheadmcginty

I wonder if the dolphin in the bathtub was a tribute to Harry and Paul.

Small Man Big Horse

This is now available online, I thought it was a frustrating beast, there's some great sequences (bathtime, the animated bit, a couple of the other songs) but about half of it feels like filler and that song about the leeries went on a fucking age. Poppins is a right old cunt at the end too what with making Jack and his mates risk their lives when she can just fly on up (as she eventually does) and there was something a bit off about Lin-Manuel Miranda's Jack in general, the performance is fine but the script lets him down. It's a shame as there were parts I loved, but others that left me really bored. 6.7/10

Replies From View

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on February 09, 2019, 01:13:45 PM
I wonder if the dolphin in the bathtub was a tribute to Harry and Paul.

Wasn't Paul Merton obsessed with dolphins?