Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:44:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ralph Breaks The Internet (2018)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, December 30, 2018, 08:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

This has now leaked and I was really looking forward to it, but I have to say it was a bit drab. There's nothing intricately wrong with it but I just didn't find myself laughing that often, and it jumps from plot point to plot point without there being anything to be gripped by. Which is a shame as the first movie is a lot of bright and breezy fun but this was fairly bland.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 30, 2018, 08:03:52 PM
This has now leaked and I was really looking forward to it, but I have to say it was a bit drab. There's nothing intricately wrong with it but I just didn't find myself laughing that often, and it jumps from plot point to plot point without there being anything to be gripped by. Which is a shame as the first movie is a lot of bright and breezy fun but this was fairly bland.

Yeah, I've no real interest in this, where I really looked forward to the first one. I don't think I loved it – remember it not doing as much with the concept as it could've – but I think I liked it well enough. But moving away from that concept to, I guess, internet memes...? Doesn't do it for me.

Mister Six

The trailer made it look like an advert for the Disney website. Is it?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on December 31, 2018, 04:17:31 AM
The trailer made it look like an advert for the Disney website. Is it?

For about 10 minutes, yeah. That's actually one of the funnier bits too, the Star Wars stuff is shite but the Disney Princesses bits is pretty strong.

It's done my head in since the first trailer dropped, but how in the name of fuck is this movie not called Ralph Wrecks The Internet? It's right there on a fucking plate. Sort it out, Walt!

Mister Six

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on December 31, 2018, 11:36:34 AM
It's done my head in since the first trailer dropped, but how in the name of fuck is this movie not called Ralph Wrecks The Internet? It's right there on a fucking plate. Sort it out, Walt!

There's dialogue to this effect in one of the trailers. It's not funny though.

Avril Lavigne

It seems silly of me to complain about product placement when I knew going into the movie that there would be plenty of it, but the whole zone (itself an existing Disney website) dedicated to showing off every major Disney-owned property for 10 minutes, was somehow much more offputting to me than the use of eBay as an important plot point.

Worst of all was the Princesses' prominently-featured new line of own-branded womens' casual wear, which looked so Instagram/Tumblr-ready I'll be amazed if it's not being released as actual real-world clothing.

buzby

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on December 31, 2018, 05:46:48 PM
Worst of all was the Princesses' prominently-featured new line of own-branded womens' casual wear, which looked so Instagram/Tumblr-ready I'll be amazed if it's not being released as actual real-world clothing.
It Is:
https://www.shopdisney.com/movies-shows/disney/wreck-it-ralph/?cmp=OTL-Dcom_att_DcomM_Style_Ralph_181113&EFC=280559
Disney wouldn't miss out on a cross-marketing opportunity to wring even more money out of parents.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on December 31, 2018, 05:46:48 PM
It seems silly of me to complain about product placement when I knew going into the movie that there would be plenty of it, but the whole zone (itself an existing Disney website) dedicated to showing off every major Disney-owned property for 10 minutes, was somehow much more offputting to me than the use of eBay as an important plot point.

I don't think that's silly at all.  In fact, I think it's on point.

Bazooka

This came out in China a month ago, it is simply an awful film, its product and Internet culture placement until ya can't take no more(said in Popeye's voice). Secondly its drab, the jokes aren't there, Ralph could be replaced by any character and it would not affect the bleakness.

Panbaams

From the trailers, you get the impression that someone at Disney watched – of all things – The Emoji Movie and thought, "Say ..."

St_Eddie

Quote from: Panbaams on January 03, 2019, 10:07:15 AM
From the trailers, you get the impression that someone at Disney watched – of all things – The Emoji Movie and thought, "Say ..."

If that is indeed what happened, then it would have nowt to do with quality (or lack, thereof) but rather the following type of scenario...

The Emoji Movie

BUDGET: $50 million

BOX OFFICE: $218 million

"Hmm, successful first Wreck It Ralph movie + The Emoji Movie + Disney characters and resulting self-promotion = BIG BUCKS + Disney Executive promotion!!!"

mothman

If it is as bad as people say, I'm disappointed. I really like the first film.

I really enjoyed it and I quite like the Princess stuff so there.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on January 04, 2019, 10:49:31 PM
I really enjoyed it and I quite like the Princess stuff so there.

Pfft.

Pfft, I say.