Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:00:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs you genuinely like but you get the impression you shouldn't

Started by Tikwid, December 31, 2018, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigamus

Quote from: Jockice on January 01, 2019, 11:34:41 AM
But lying next to me at this very moment is someone who genuinely seems to have no concept of 'cool' in music at all. Where Do You Go To My Lovely is one of her favourite songs ever and she's not even saying it ironically.

Fun fact: it's also Germaine Greer's favourite song. And they're both right. It's brilliant.

manticore

I don't know whether 'I Don't Want to Talk About It' by Everything But the Girl counts but I think it does as I was much derided for melting into a soppy mess when it came on the jukebox in a pub once. I actually bought it when it came out too.

Also not sure about 'Smooth Operator' by Sade, which is glossy cosmopolitan silky soul lounge music with a pseudo-sophisticated veneer and cheesy sax forchristssake all of which makes me hate it but I bought it and luxuriated in every moment nonetheless because it's gorgeous.

pigamus

Sade is the bollocks. Particularly Love is Stronger Than Pride, which is beautiful.

Jockice

Quote from: pigamus on January 01, 2019, 12:03:17 PM
Fun fact: it's also Germaine Greer's favourite song. And they're both right. It's brilliant.

Is it fuck! It's a crime against humanity. And come the revolution his brother Robin will also be against the wall for My Resistance Is Low, a song eternally connected in my head with walking to the dentist's aged ten. In the rain.

Ha ha ha. Ah ha ha ha.

pigamus

Jockice

Jockice

Love And Pride by King and Love Removal Machine by The Cult. I have a feeling the band's involved were taking it seriously but they're both great comedy singles.

pigamus

Quote from: Jockice on January 01, 2019, 01:20:57 PM
How did you know who my girlfriend is?

Back streets of Naples. Two children begging in rags...

Brundle-Fly

Vodka Margarine

I'd like to raise you Walking On The Sun but that's several rungs below on the naffness scale, probably too low for this thread in fact.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 01, 2019, 04:53:16 PM
All Star by Smash Mouth.
Ah, me too. I think it helps that it's on the 'Mystery Men' soundtrack (and they appear in the the video) and that was the first DVD I ever bought.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on January 01, 2019, 05:48:47 PM
I'd like to raise you Walking On The Sun but that's several rungs below on the naffness scale, probably too low for this thread in fact.

It had a good sixties lurching guitar line that. I saw them live at The Garage around the time that single was released and have to say they were very entertaining. Absolutey reviled by the music press for having the temerity to be a goodtime band. And I think his singing voice irked folk.

flotemysost

Morning After Dark by Timbaland feat. Nellly Furtado and SoShy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25LBTSUEU0A

When I first heard it I was in the car with a mate and we pissed ourselves laughing every time the chorus came round - that little 'woah' sound he makes, so ridiculous. And yet I went and downloaded it and now if it comes on shuffle I'm like, yes!

In fact I enjoyed most of Nelly Furtado's solo stuff from that time, Man Eater was another good'un.

non capisco

I'm still slightly bewildered as to why I seem to have all the time in the world for 'Do The Hucklebuck' by Coast To Coast, one of a rash of late 70s/early 80s rock 'n' roll throwbacks. It's clearly no better or worse than similar retro twaddle of its era like Darts, Rocky Sharpe and The Replays or the original incarnation of Tight Fit before it was a Tarzan man and two lasses. I think the main source of appeal is Coast To Coast's faintly bizarre singer who looks like a cross between a waxwork model of Arnold Rothstein from 'Boardwalk Empire' and a young Swiss Toni. He looks like someone living out the effects of some kind of curse, bargaining with the devil to become a pop star but then finding out he has to promote doing the hucklebuck in a never ending series of early 1981 timelines over and over again, that's why he looks pale and shellshocked, still hearing Satan's cruel laughter in every chuckling saxophone honk.

"Doing the hucklebuck is a lot like making love to a beautiful woman. Also please help me."

Wriggle like a snake, waddle like a duck, that's what you do when you are damned for all eternity.

^ Pre-emptive Buzby: That bloke isn't even the person who sings on the single version.

Jockice

Quote from: non capisco on January 01, 2019, 09:58:34 PM
I'm still slightly bewildered as to why I seem to have all the time in the world for 'Do The Hucklebuck' by Coast To Coast, one of a rash of late 70s/early 80s rock 'n' roll throwbacks. It's clearly no better or worse than similar retro twaddle of its era like Darts, Rocky Sharpe and The Replays or the original incarnation of Tight Fit before it was a Tarzan man and two lasses. I think the main source of appeal is Coast To Coast's faintly bizarre singer who looks like a cross between a waxwork model of Arnold Rothstein from 'Boardwalk Empire' and a young Swiss Toni. He looks like someone living out the effects of some kind of curse, bargaining with the devil to become a pop star but then finding out he has to promote doing the hucklebuck in a never ending series of early 1981 timelines over and over again, that's why he looks pale and shellshocked, still hearing Satan's cruel laughter in every chuckling saxophone honk.

"Doing the hucklebuck is a lot like making love to a beautiful woman. Also please help me."

Wriggle like a snake, waddle like a duck, that's what you do when you are damned for all eternity.

^ Pre-emptive Buzby: That bloke isn't even the person who sings on the single version.

I love Darts. Well, the first three singles anyway. It's one of the biggest regrets of my life that my mum offered to get tickets to see them after my tortoise died and I turned her down. God knows why. Maybe I just thought it wouldn't look cool to go to a gig with my mum. I was 13!

I also liked Showaddywaddy and the time Rocky Sharpe took his sunglasses off to reveal another pair beneath is one of my favourite TOTP moments ever. And before the same gag on Airplane.

Matchbox were better than Coast To Coast though. I'm a rockabilly rebel from head to toe.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 01, 2019, 04:53:16 PM
All Star by Smash Mouth.

I heard that on the radio the other day and was really surprised that I quite liked it now, wasn't too keen at the time.

There was a few of those tunes around at the time, Len 'Steal My Sunshine' being the one I absolutely still love despite it having that gruff voiced bloke/ sweet sounding woman dynamic that I usually hate. Banger.

All That She Wants by Ace of Base too, some of that Scandinavian pop was great. Stakka Bo as well, loved that.

jobotic

I really like My Resistance is Low. Mind you I only heard it for the first time last year. And it's better when Jane Russell sings it.

And that "Japanese Mix" of Love Missile F1-11 is fantastic.

Jockice

Quote from: jobotic on January 01, 2019, 11:30:24 PM
I really like My Resistance is Low. Mind you I only heard it for the first time last year. And it's better when Jane Russell sings it.

Danny Baker often plays part of the Sarstedt version as backing music. The bastard.

jobotic

Jockice

Quote from: jobotic on January 01, 2019, 11:49:28 PM
My nomination is Shall We Take a Trip? by Northside

I quite liked Take Five. I even danced to it once. And there are very few songs I have ever danced to.

Brundle-Fly

We've done these so-called 'guilty pleasures"  threads at least twenty-three times over the past fifteen years.

I defend Vanilla -No Way No Way to the hilt,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGwB-f1xfxM

And will always champion this piece of utter crap. I'm sorry, I love it for two very specific unjustified levels.

Ben Dover's Thompson Twins?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOMSZQ7RacQ

Bazooka

Life Is a Rollercoaster by Ronan Keating, its a feel good song, if I was sitting on the side of a bridge in a state of despair and a car drove past blaring this song out at max volume, I would turn right around.

samadriel

Jockice

I have two things to say here:
1 Nightshift by The Commodores makes me cry. Every single time I hear it. When my heroes die I want to record a version for them. Lawrence*, hey how you doing now?

2 Tiger Feet by Mud has more worth than the entire works of Dylan, Cohen, various Buckleys etc. I genuinely believe that  And that A Glass Of Champagne by Sailor knocks Roxy Music's back catalogue into a cocked hat. Whatever a cocked hat is.

(*And Cathal, Stephen and Duglas. Of course.)

That is all.

TheMonk

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 01, 2019, 06:04:09 PM
It had a good sixties lurching guitar line that.
Very true as Walking On The Sun is a complete rip off of a track from Perrey And Kingsley's great 1966 album The In Sound From Way Out!
https://youtu.be/dJQPP6AEnnw

Sherman Krank

What's-a matter you? Hey!
Gotta no respect?
What-a you t'ink you do, why you look-a so sad?
It's-a not so bad, it's-a nice-a place
Ah shaddap-a you face!

studpuppet

Quote from: pigamus on January 01, 2019, 12:03:17 PM

Fun Other Fact: the members of the St. Moritz Tobogganing Club sing 'Where do you go to my lovely?' to anyone who exits the Cresta Run on one of the corners before the finish.

samadriel

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 31, 2018, 05:33:27 PM
Hannah Diamond / Anything else on PC Music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPFvbc4onks

Heh, I'm quite the opposite of this: GFOTY of PC Music fame is a friend of mine and she's round my house/playing gigs I'm at quite often. I can't stand her music but she's a lovely person so I'm always feigning support for her work when she mentions her new single or whatever.

My own submission for this thread is The 1975. I'm not a "guilty pleasures" man at all and I don't give a fuck about how people perceive me based on my tastes, but there's something about the arsehole-rimming from shit publications like Mojo and NME coupled with the abject disdain they receive from my peers that always makes me do a bit of an awkward smirk whenever I mention liking them.

Their new album is really good though.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: icehaven on December 31, 2018, 07:13:53 AM
Lady by Modjo

That song is a cracker and no mistake. And I'm usually the first to get the flaming torches and pitchforks out when someone admits they're an Avril Lavigne fan.